Anyone using flat trigger inserts? Why?

Foxbat

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could you share your feelings, please? It feels very strange and uncomfortable to me, my question is - should I force myself to get used to it?

I have one in my SS and had one in my SV limited gun. Curved triggers are easier for the novice to master than the flat trigger that is why they come in most guns. My smith prefers the flat and he says its more precise. Since I shoot multiple guns they all need to have the same trigger so easier to swap one than the whole fleet.

I shoot them because I like the feel, I would not force myself to like the trigger...if you are more comfortable and like the feel of a curved trigger I say go with a curved trigger....

Randal

Edited by DrawandDuck

im planning on trying both. we'll see which one i prefer. I see a LOT of flat triggers out there so either its a trend and everyone wants to look cool or maybe there is something to them. it definitely seems like a very personal preference thing.

A curved trigger gives you tactile feedback on where the sweet spot is in the center of the trigger face... also, it is consistent with all the curved triggers of non-1911 guns that have a traditional pivoting trigger (which needs to be curved).

That said, I like the flat trigger face much better. To me, it's more forgiving if my finger lands a bit off center on the trigger face... and I just like the feel better.

Neither one is better, easier to master, faster, more accurate, etc, etc. It's simply a matter of how it fits your hand/finger. For example, an SV short, flat is the same length as an SV short, curved when measured to the center of the face. Whatever feels right, and puts the trigger in the right spot will be best. I've got guns with both, and when I'm shooting I simply don't think about it at all. R,

Curved triggers are easier for the novice to master than the flat trigger that is why they come in most guns.

What source does that come from? :blink:

ROFL, that is too funny.

Honestly, all that I have been able to deduce is that it has to do with surface area and feel. With a gunsmith trigger, you can make a trigger any length you want and any shape, so reach is a non issue. On a flat trigger, less of your finger is touching the trigger which may add sensitivity and make it easier to feel the trigger, the downside is that you can't always tell be feel where your finger is on the trigger (not that matters much with light triggers) but you can get too low and drag the bottom of the trigger guard. With the curved trigger, more of your finger is contacting the trigger, so you are less sensitive to the pressure being placed on the trigger. For those that have light triggers and poor trigger sensitivity this can cause problems (ie. AD's.) With a curved trigger, you can tell your finger placement easily by feel. With the Enos trigger, you get a happy medium, more feel and enough curve to keep your finger off the guard and have consistent finger placement.

Being able to prep the trigger on the draw without breaking the shot is the only way I know to test trigger sensitivity, so as long as I can feel the trigger enough to prep it and not break the shot until I want it go is all that really matters as far as trigger weight and my own skill.

I like the long flat, with long fingers I have less chance of sticking too much of the finger thru the guard. I know, anything can be overcome with practice, but I feel this is one less to worry about.

Hello: I just think it is personal preferance. I have tried all the SVI inserts to just see what works better for me. I have found that if the trigger is a little shorter than what most think is standard works the best. My trigger finger has been ground on,cut and even the tendon ground across :surprise: It does not bend as well as it should. I even have a piece cut out of it for lightness :roflol: I think it is more important to get a trigger the right length than it is the shape of it :cheers: If you have a STI pistol I would try the long curved and the short curved first. Then you can try the STI gunsmith one to make to whatever shape you want. Thanks, Eric

You can argue what famous sources say about curved vs. flat till you're blue in the face, but answer me one question ......... is the meaty part of the finger that pulls the trigger on your gun flat or curved?

I have the hybrid - Enos Top Curved and I really like the feel, I just purchased a new blaster that came with a curved trigger and I'm going to be changing it to the Top Curve also. For me it's just a matter of personal preference, it just feels good in my hand. :cheers:

Curved triggers are easier for the novice to master than the flat trigger that is why they come in most guns.

What source does that come from? :blink:

im quite curious too as i have never heard that before... :huh:

Edited by ogiebb

Could you share your feelings, please? It feels very strange and uncomfortable to me, my question is - should I force myself to get used to it?

I have one in my SS and had one in my SV limited gun. Curved triggers are easier for the novice to master than the flat trigger that is why they come in most guns. My smith prefers the flat and he says its more precise. Since I shoot multiple guns they all need to have the same trigger so easier to swap one than the whole fleet.

I got used to the long curved triggers a long time ago and never graduated from novice I guess. :cheers: The flat ones just don't feel right to me. Don't know why... they just don't. Biggest thing is get used to whichever you use and shoot.... a lot.

Dwight

What source does that come from? blink.gif

im quite curious too as i have never heard that before... huh.gif

That's what my Gun Smith and sponsor told me and you never doubt your sponsor openly.

You can argue what famous sources say about curved vs. flat till you're blue in the face, but answer me one question ......... is the meaty part of the finger that pulls the trigger on your gun flat or curved?

It may be curved while not under any pressure, but once you put pressure on it, it will deform to the shape of the surface.

Assuming your trigger isn't extremely (<1.5 lbs maybe, I'm guessing here) light, the curved trigger will require more pressure to trip the sear if you are off the vertical center of the trigger since there is an x and y axis component to the force to the surface of the trigger, assuming you are looking at the trigger from the side. Following this logic, if you are slightly above/below the center of the trigger, you will apply pressure on the Y-axis, causing you to push the gun up, or more likely, down.

The flat trigger will allow you to always apply pressure without Y-axis finger placement affecting the shooter's pulling the trigger straight to the rear.

My 2 cents.

Edited by Will_M

That's what my Gun Smith and sponsor told me and you never doubt your sponsor openly.

Nobody said anything about openly doubting anybody. It just sounded like something very odd to be cited as though it were fact and I wondered if that came from something other than an opinion.

For the OP, it's not anything that anybody could prove with numbers and data, but I'd bet that the vast majority of triggers are curved simply out of tradition and the fact that they simply work better any time the trigger has to move more than a very short distance (as in a 1911). A flat trigger on a revolver or DAO auto would be terrible. On a benchrest gun or single action pistol, they're fine and some people prefer the feel...nothing more, nothing less. I'm actually looking at getting a trigger made that combines the two...a short flat center section with arched top and bottom. It may not be any better, but I thought it might be interesting to try. R,

I'm actually looking at getting a trigger made that combines the two...a short flat center section with arched top and bottom. It may not be any better, but I thought it might be interesting to try. R,

Check out the Caspian "Trik Trigger", it's pretty close to what you describe.

To the OP - the flat trigger is better than the curved for the same reason butter pecan is better than chocolate. Personally, I've shot both and prefer the flat. It just feels better, and I've learned I like a longer trigger, which works well with a flat trigger. But it's strictly a matter of personal preference.

I have a flat trigger on my primary gun and a curved on my backup. I prefer the flat trigger, but it's not really that big of a deal. I'll get around to putting a flat trigger in my backup eventually.