Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using flat trigger inserts? Why?

Foxbat

I'm actually looking at getting a trigger made that combines the two...a short flat center section with arched top and bottom. It may not be any better, but I thought it might be interesting to try. R,

Check out the Caspian "Trik Trigger", it's pretty close to what you describe.

Yeah, I've seen that before and it's sorta, kinda what I'm considering, but I'd have a much shorter (top to bottom) flat portion and it wouldn't be nearly as long as the Trik. I'm thinking along the lines of a short, curved SV insert with a .25" flat section in the center....give or take. R,

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have both and have put the time into both which is the only way to really decide what you want(months, not days). What I like about changing them out once a year or so is the "trick of the day effect".

For example, when changing to a flat from a curved it is so flat that at first it feels almost convex. This makes you "very" aware of the trigger and you can really work on trigger pull drills such as shooting weak hand or 50yds. This of course wears off in a few hundred rounds and your right back to where you started from. The same is true in the reverse switch. I think this is a good place to use the "pick one and practice" line... ;)

I have "short flat" on my two and I like the feel. I have small-medium hands and it just seems to give me a better feel on the trigger. That and it just looks cool! :cheers:

They do look cool and a lot of people do use them for that reason alone. It's just so RACE and not stock !! ;)

You can argue what famous sources say about curved vs. flat till you're blue in the face, but answer me one question ......... is the meaty part of the finger that pulls the trigger on your gun flat or curved?

It may be curved while not under any pressure, but once you put pressure on it, it will deform to the shape of the surface.

Assuming your trigger isn't extremely (<1.5 lbs maybe, I'm guessing here) light, the curved trigger will require more pressure to trip the sear if you are off the vertical center of the trigger since there is an x and y axis component to the force to the surface of the trigger, assuming you are looking at the trigger from the side. Following this logic, if you are slightly above/below the center of the trigger, you will apply pressure on the Y-axis, causing you to push the gun up, or more likely, down.

The flat trigger will allow you to always apply pressure without Y-axis finger placement affecting the shooter's pulling the trigger straight to the rear.

My 2 cents.

Exactly what My 2 cents was going to be. to me, the flat or top enos curved is a whole lot more consistent than having to find the center of the trigger all the time on the curve.

Edited by RoryW

Curved triggers are easier for the novice to master than the flat trigger that is why they come in most guns.

What source does that come from? blink.gif

im quite curious too as i have never heard that before... huh.gif

That's what my Gun Smith and sponsor told me and you never doubt your sponsor openly.

uh ok thanks... :cheers:

I use the flat inserts in my SV Limited and Open guns and one of my 1911's because I like the feel. I'm sure it's just my perception, but my trigger finger senses the reset of the trigger better on the flat then the curved inserts.

That's what my Gun Smith and sponsor told me and you never doubt your sponsor openly.

Nobody said anything about openly doubting anybody. It just sounded like something very odd to be cited as though it were fact and I wondered if that came from something other than an opinion.

For the OP, it's not anything that anybody could prove with numbers and data, but I'd bet that the vast majority of triggers are curved simply out of tradition and the fact that they simply work better any time the trigger has to move more than a very short distance (as in a 1911). A flat trigger on a revolver or DAO auto would be terrible. On a benchrest gun or single action pistol, they're fine and some people prefer the feel...nothing more, nothing less. I'm actually looking at getting a trigger made that combines the two...a short flat center section with arched top and bottom. It may not be any better, but I thought it might be interesting to try. R,

I should also offer up the explanation that came with it. Another poster said the same thing only bassackwards. The post with the x and the y axis which I like facts I'm a scientist, and it was convincing. The explanation was the cuvre helps the shooter center the finger on the trigger which helps to prevent the dreaded up or down pulling of the gun. I have shot both and can pull the gun left or right down or up with equal ease with either. I prefer the Curved and most importantly in the correct length for my hand primarly because I have 10 hand guns that have the same curved trigger. I don't think there is a major advantage to either, the only advantage is the one you are use to. You may well be correct with it being a paradigm, all the military weapons I fired were curved triggers even the M-72 LAW my personal favorite, except for the thumb triggers on some machine guns and recoiless rifles. Demonstrating on my SV Limited my smith showed me that pulling the trigger towards the top was easier than the bottom, I had never noticed that as I always pull it in the middle the curved trigger help me find that spot.

I had the Enos with curve on top before, and liked it a lot, in fact it felt pretty much like a curved one, no unusual sensation.

I also like the idea of a hybrid with a flat in the middle - the curves on top and bottom would send the clear "out of center" message to the brain, so I am willing to try it.

Also very true - switching from curved to flat makes it feel convex, and there is something missing top and bottom... which in reality may be good thing for some shooters. Me - I am pretty sure I can get used to flat one, but was curious about other people's feelings. Good inputs, all!

Nobody said anything about openly doubting anybody. It just sounded like something very odd to be cited as though it were fact and I wondered if that came from something other than an opinion.

For the OP, it's not anything that anybody could prove with numbers and data, but I'd bet that the vast majority of triggers are curved simply out of tradition and the fact that they simply work better any time the trigger has to move more than a very short distance (as in a 1911). A flat trigger on a revolver or DAO auto would be terrible. On a benchrest gun or single action pistol, they're fine and some people prefer the feel...nothing more, nothing less. I'm actually looking at getting a trigger made that combines the two...a short flat center section with arched top and bottom. It may not be any better, but I thought it might be interesting to try. R,

I should also offer up the explanation that came with it. Another poster said the same thing only bassackwards. The post with the x and the y axis which I like facts I'm a scientist, and it was convincing. The explanation was the cuvre helps the shooter center the finger on the trigger which helps to prevent the dreaded up or down pulling of the gun. I have shot both and can pull the gun left or right down or up with equal ease with either. I prefer the Curved and most importantly in the correct length for my hand primarly because I have 10 hand guns that have the same curved trigger. I don't think there is a major advantage to either, the only advantage is the one you are use to. You may well be correct with it being a paradigm, all the military weapons I fired were curved triggers even the M-72 LAW my personal favorite, except for the thumb triggers on some machine guns and recoiless rifles. Demonstrating on my SV Limited my smith showed me that pulling the trigger towards the top was easier than the bottom, I had never noticed that as I always pull it in the middle the curved trigger help me find that spot.

Thanks...just like what the others said i was wondering if its fact or just an opinion.

i have struggled before to find the right set up for me ive always shot curved before

but have settled on the top curve trigger mostly because of comfort and the pistol looks

pretty with it :lol:

As mentioned earlier, I think the shape means less than the fit. I've seen a ton of the long flat triggers on race guns. Locally I try to ask guys to show me where their finger lands on their long flat trigger. I can think of only one guy I've seen who needed the long flat trigger. The rest I've seen are barely able to pull back on the trigger because they had so little finger in front of the trigger. In my opinion, way too many people have long flat triggers cause they look cool with no idea whether they fit their hand or not.

Chris

I prefer the SVI long flat insert because it's the longest reach for me. I have pretty big hands so it's the most comfortable. Also, it feels the same as the Anschultz triggers that I was used to when I was using .22 free rifles in small bore competitions. I get more contact on my index finger pad to give me feedback on when the trigger is going to break.

...i have struggled before to find the right set up for me ive always shot curved before

but have settled on the top curve trigger mostly because of comfort and the pistol looks

pretty with it :lol:

And you've done pretty well with it!! ;)

As has been mentioned, the length of the trigger definitely makes a difference. I have very big hands, so I went with a long/flat... but I quickly found that, even though it was a good fit for my hand (according to Bob Londrigan's explanation of trigger fit in a recent Front Sight) it just "felt" a little too long. In fact, I even had a few trigger freezes during matches (which I've never had with a shorter trigger). I switched to the med/flat, and it feels just right.

The nice thing about the SV trigger system is that you can try out a few inserts and see what works best for you.

I've gone beyond flat. I'd never seen one and wanted to try it. I like it. I've tried going back to flat and didn't like it. I've been shooting one for a couple of years now. Very small contact patch for trigger finger. It looks funky but it works and when people try it they usually like it. Here's one I put in a friends stroker build.

post-8536-127890893855_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been reading through this topic and I have a dumb question (from the noob)...

How do you know what trigger length is right? Is there a way to do it without buying all the inserts?

Thx

I use the long flat trigger in all my guns, not because it's better, they just feel better to me. I have tried short curved, long curved, short flat, long flat and the long flat just works best for me. I suggest you experiment to see what works best for you. Ask to shoot other peoples guns with different triggers to see what feels the best.

This thread is better than any thing on TV

also if a Turtle bites you ,... it will not let go until Lightning strikes

my best friend told me that in 2nd grade and you never question your best friend. Or were we friends . I don't remember having any friends in 2nd grade.

Oh triggers, I have both flat and curved on my open guns , I want a flat one for my new limited gun just because it looks cool

Edited by AlamoShooter

So I've been reading through this topic and I have a dumb question (from the noob)...

How do you know what trigger length is right? Is there a way to do it without buying all the inserts?

Thx

The one that lets your finger rest on the trigger in the most natural/relaxed position is best. You want roughly the middle of the pad on tip of your finger to be in the middle of the trigger face...give or take a little. If you have to stretch to get your finger there, the trigger is too long. If your finger wants to poke out the other side, it's too short. R,