Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deciding on What Manufacture of Reloading Equiptment?

Hello Everyone, I just joined this group on Wednesday and pleased

that such a board exists. I have been shooting since 1983

When I entered the US Army @ Ft. Sill, Oklahoma.

I started to get interested in the possibility of reloading

Recently. I am now trying calculate which system to go with

and what company to go with. I did speak to a Dillon

Tech on the "650" @ the NRA Convention last month. I was

impressed with the quality of the system viewed, but need

user opinion on Dillon, Hornady, Lee, etc? I kindly request

any and all suggestion, advice, comments and experiences of

the various instruments that are on the market.

Thanking everyone in advance,

Stephen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are going to get a lot of recommendations for Dillon here for two reasons. One, it is some of the best equipment out there with an awesome no BS guarantee forever. And Two, the host of this forum, Brian Enos, sells Dillon directly. He will help you with your caliber conversions, etc, as well as recommend which Dillon press is best for your needs.

I've been reloading since 1991 and I still have my original Dillon RL550. I wouldn't go with anything else, in fact, I'm looking at a 1050 eventually. I'm sure the others are good in their own right but why would you go away from something that has proven itself and there's so much support for?

Good luck with your search!

user opinion on Dillon, Hornady, Lee, etc? Stephen

Stephen, my only experience is with a Dillon Square Deal

(the cheapest Dillon) - if you're planning on using only

pistol ammo, I recommend it highly - $350 and you're set.

If you're going to reload rifle cartridges, you need a

550 or 650 - but they're a bit more involved - are you

handy (mechanically) - because I'm not, so I'm afraid to

try a 650.

Good luck.

Jack

user opinion on Dillon, Hornady, Lee, etc? Stephen

Stephen, my only experience is with a Dillon Square Deal

(the cheapest Dillon) - if you're planning on using only

pistol ammo, I recommend it highly - $350 and you're set.

If you're going to reload rifle cartridges, you need a

550 or 650 - but they're a bit more involved - are you

handy (mechanically) - because I'm not, so I'm afraid to

try a 650.

Good luck.

Jack

A 550 more involved? I started with a 550 and thought there was no way they could make it easier to set up and change calibers!

Don't even think about not getting a Dillon :cheers:

Seriously, they make some of the best machines in the business and you simply will not find a better warranty. I just got some free replacement parts for my 650 in the mail today after I called them Wednesday with a problem.

Seriously, they make some of the best machines in the business and you simply will not find a better warranty. I just got some free replacement parts for my 650 in the mail today after I called them Wednesday with a problem.

+1 it is also like $ in the bank as it retains a very high resale value. Try trying to buy a used 1050 on here and see how fast you have to be.

+1 it is also like $ in the bank as it retains a very high resale value. Try trying to buy a used 1050 on here and see how fast you have to be.

Yeah, you need to be a GM in posting to be able to get it! :lol:

All Dillon stuff is top notch, you can't go wrong any of them. And, if you find a different press that you like better (non Dillon), you will sell your Dillon at damn near the same price as what you bought it for.

First, decide on what calibers and quantity you will be reloading.

Then start reading past threads. There have to be 10,000 threads on this.

10,000? I beg to differ. At least 20,000!

Come on guys, I've told you a million times to stop exaggerating! :roflol:

Dillon has:

1) a no BS warranty. I can tell you stories about how they replaced high dollar parts ruined due to my stupidity and they were told of my stupidity.

2) outstanding tech support as well as the lay tech support available on this forum.

3) The best, bar none, resale value of ANY machine available when you decide to upgrade.

4) In my opinion the best quality available in a reloading machine.

5) The best and finest reloading machines available.

I speak from experience. I own two 650's (one is 15 years old and the other is 5 years old), a Dillon electronic scale, a CV-500 vibratory cleaner, media separator and several complete caliber change setups. I have owned two 550's and a Square Deal which were sold to upgrade to the 650's I have now.

Do yourself a big favor and buy a Dillon. You won't ever regret it.

I bleed blue, :cheers:

Pat

My first Dillon was an OLD very worn Square Deal I bought used on the net for $200. I broke every part except the shaft loading over 100k rounds, and Dillon (without hesitation) replaced free of charge. I sold it for over $300 with a new frame (free from Dillon) and stepped up to 1050's. No joking, I've tried for 3 years to get another used 1050 and finally got a new Super 1050 new from Brian Enos, because the internet is not plugged into my veins like some folks on this forum and I really wanted another press dedicated to small primers.

Some of the other presses seem to work well, but for sheerness of excellent product and even better customer service it is hard to beat Dillon.

First, decide on what calibers and quantity you will be reloading.

Then start reading past threads. There have to be 10,000 threads on this.

10,000? I beg to differ. At least 20,000!

Come on guys, I've told you a million times to stop exaggerating! :roflol:

Dillon has:

1) a no BS warranty. I can tell you stories about how they replaced high dollar parts ruined due to my stupidity and they were told of my stupidity.

2) outstanding tech support as well as the lay tech support available on this forum.

3) The best, bar none, resale value of ANY machine available when you decide to upgrade.

4) In my opinion the best quality available in a reloading machine.

5) The best and finest reloading machines available.

I speak from experience. I own two 650's (one is 15 years old and the other is 5 years old), a Dillon electronic scale, a CV-500 vibratory cleaner, media separator and several complete caliber change setups. I have owned two 550's and a Square Deal which were sold to upgrade to the 650's I have now.

Do yourself a big favor and buy a Dillon. You won't ever regret it.

I bleed blue, :cheers:

Pat

Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel! :cheers:

Dillon.

I started with a SDB I bought used and had a small helicoil back out. Their warranty covered the fix, and since it was there, they rebuilt the ENTIRE press. I'm not sure I got back the one I sent them! It was like brand new....

I like the Hornady LNL

No BS Warranty

Quality machining

Quick n easy caliber changes

Basically comparable to a Dillon 650 for a fair amount less $$$

I personally think they run smoother than Dillons or Lees

That said, check out this review/comparison of all 3 - without the personal "get this" that you'll find on a web forum :ph34r:

http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

awhile back. lots of good info in it: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102412

im still on the fence myself about what i need/want... :mellow::unsure:

a while back the guy who wrote that article basically admited he was afraid to tell the truth about the LEE. I should have saved his forum name but I didn't care that much. Anyone who has ever used a LM wiould not consider it nearly as good as the Dillon or the Hornady but he hides that in a footnote. Both the new LnL and the 550 and 650 are good machines. Each with it's own strengths. LnL with a casefeeder is not that much cheaper then a 650. LnL casefeeder cost more. LnL does not come with a Low Primer alarm and I would add the RCBS one if I bought a LnL. It also doesn't have a strong mount. So build your bench the right height from the start. LnL is a pretty nice press. I just don't know if I trust it as much the Dillon. It's hard not to at least consider that Hornady has totally abandoned several press designs in the last 20 years while Dillon still supports all it's products. Thats the biggest hangup for me. Had the LnL not had issues with 9mm like it did 4 years ago I might be using a LnL right now. My friend has two and they are pretty nice. I do prefer the toolhead from the Dillon but the LnL is a lot cheaper to convert so I think I would be happy with the savings and live with the bushings.

I run both a Lee Pro 1000 and a Lee Classic Cast Turret -- they both have their pros and cons, but both require a bit of tinkering and pile of spare $1 plastic parts to keep running well. I'll upgrade to a Dillon someday when I can afford it, but for now, these do the job well enough. 1/10th the cost of a Dillon, but only 1/5th the quality! Now THAT'S value! :rolleyes::roflol:

Maybe Im being unreasonable - but after hearing about Dillon great customer service, no BS warranty, I was a little disappointed the first time I called dillon for spare parts. I bought a used 650 and needed a few parts, the gentleman was helpful and polite and started making a list of all the parts I needed. I then wanted to buy 2 small springs(powder measure) and a missing 22 cal powder check rod. The total cost on these 3 items = $27.00

what bothered me was the $10.00 for shipping. I'm probably being unreasonable but they were just going to send me parts a no charge - cant they just throw them into the same package? (Lee has done this twice) When I questioned the high price on shipping - he said it was the standard shipping price for this dollar amount. I know they are sending me a bunch of free parts (haha - Like when the government gives you "free money") so I just said OK - but I keep hearing how great dillon customer service was - and frankly I wasn't overly impressed. Nothing really different (except price) from Lee, RCBS and Hornady.

Maybe Im being unreasonable - but after hearing about Dillon great customer service, no BS warranty, I was a little disappointed the first time I called dillon for spare parts. I bought a used 650 and needed a few parts, the gentleman was helpful and polite and started making a list of all the parts I needed. I then wanted to buy 2 small springs(powder measure) and a missing 22 cal powder check rod. The total cost on these 3 items = $27.00

what bothered me was the $10.00 for shipping. I'm probably being unreasonable but they were just going to send me parts a no charge - cant they just throw them into the same package? (Lee has done this twice) When I questioned the high price on shipping - he said it was the standard shipping price for this dollar amount. I know they are sending me a bunch of free parts (haha - Like when the government gives you "free money") so I just said OK - but I keep hearing how great dillon customer service was - and frankly I wasn't overly impressed. Nothing really different (except price) from Lee, RCBS and Hornady.

You should have just bought the spare parts kit when you got the press. After that you would just call them and tell them what broke and they will replace the item that broke. No downtime. Parts kit is cheap. You don't normally need more then one spare and they often send several as backups anyway.

They should never have charged you for a missing or broken part.

Edited by 98sr20ve

15k rounds on my LNL with no problems.

I did have problems with the 9mm ejection, but now use a .40 shell plate, and all is well.

I have wondered why there aren't pages and pages of tips and tricks on forums about the LNL.

Guess when it works out of the box, you don't need them.

Butch