Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don't more people shoot single stack?

Pro2AInPA

Yesterday and today were my first two matches shooting single stack and I have to say, I really like it.

Yesterday it was me and one other shooter. Today, I was the only single stack shooter.

It certainly takes away from the fun a bit not having others to shoot against. Care to discuss why there are such low turnouts for single stack?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday and today were my first two matches shooting single stack and I have to say, I really like it.

Yesterday it was me and one other shooter. Today, I was the only single stack shooter.

It certainly takes away from the fun a bit not having others to shoot against. Care to discuss why there are such low turnouts for single stack?

Maybe because it's the newest division? I find it surprising too. It's good for beginners in that you can get the "best" gear for relatively cheap, while being challenging for experienced shooters in that you have to make your shots count... Maybe people are wary of buying a whole pile of 8 round mags ;) Beginners may find it less intimidating to shoot L10 with their single stacks since you have some make up rounds. But they are doing themselves a disservice, since they are then competing with top of the line Limited guns...

I started USPSA with a Single Stack. It was fun, but I found I was too focused on the administrative work rather than shooting. I'd rather plop 22 in the gun and reload once.

people like to shoot more than reload? i too have started in SS and really really like it. im sure ill move on to other divisions down the road, but Ill never stop shooting SS.

people like to shoot more than reload? i too have started in SS and really really like it. im sure ill move on to other divisions down the road, but Ill never stop shooting SS.

Yeah I guess people don't like finding the 8's. Oh well.

I'd find 8 rounds of .45 intimidating, that's the stout caliber as well as the dozens of reloads one has to make to get through a stage.

I've shot revo before, and with the limited amount of shooting between reloads you lose shooting focus, well, I do at least.

Limited or Open is easier to manage, I think.

I'd still like to buy an SS one day and shoot it for a while.

I think its easier to shoot Production, just download your mags, dont have to buy anything special in comparison.

This is probably the biggest factor.

Nowadays, pistols like SIGs, Glocks, and M&Ps tend to dominate the market for your typical "casual" shooters. 1911s aren't as popular as they once were amongst the general shooting population (at least in comparison to the popular wondernines et al). So, your average shooter moving into USPSA starts in Production, with minimal or no additional purchases necessary to be reasonably competitive.

If you are such a shooter, and you are looking to "upgrade" to another division, SStk doesn't really offer a ton. Sure, you can get an excellent SAO trigger and a fairly wide range of legal modifications, but it's not as appealing as Limited or Open. You aren't getting extended, high-capacity magazines. You are still constrained to fit in a box and meet weight criteria. Certain modifications are still expressly prohibited. And you are constrained to only one platform - the 1911. (Remember that while 2011s are the most prevalent for Ltd & Open, there are plenty of us out there who run other guns that are just as competitive - ranging from CZs and their clones to tricked-out plastic-fantastic pistols.)

In short, single-Stack is really only appealing to those shooters who are already drawn to the 1911 of its own accord. And most of them already are shooting SStk - even if it isn't all the time. (I myself prefer CZs over 1911s - though not by much - and prefer running my TS in Ltd or my Shadow in Production ~80% of the time. For instance, I had my Gov't out for the first few months of this year and ran it in the midwest SS/Prod matches, but will be running my CZs for all remaining major matches this year.)

(You could also ask "why don't more people shoot revo"? Even at matches limited to Prod/SS/Revo, revo attendence is usually very, very low. Some of the possible answers to that question are the same as that posed here. ;) )

SS requires a good deal of stage analysis. Extra time for me to get the stage right.

The tech and reload points, as well as posting up, VS moving and shooting all come into play.

I shoot SS and LTD as a rule, but for the last year, SS.

SS is fun, but there is quite a bit of work on the part of the shooter involved.

For me the gun, the feel, and the fun make it!

My age and eyes can hold out only so long, but for now, I'm changing mags and trying to get points fast . .

It's interesting. I never realized how HARD SS was, until I started to shoot limited. No wonder I struggled with stage breakdown for so long! Once I learn the game better, I'm going back to single stack just to find a challenge!

I am a limited shooter, have been from the get go, I was trying to get moved up a class and made it but my oldest score was my highest, I didnt want another classifier hitting before everything posted, Soooo, I shot my IDPA gun a SS .40, even with 9 + 1 minor I felt like a one legged man at a butt kicking contest. I did manage to come in dead last out of 5 shooters at a 100 + total match.

Yeah I guess people don't like finding the 8's. Oh well.

Given that half of your section is NJ, and given that l10 and especially production were already healthy, established, (and in the case of production often hotly contested in a given class) divisions, I didn't find it surprising that SS didn't catch on here. It is more popular at some clubs than others. CJ offered it from the start, was even willing to pay prize money before it was officially approved for that by the Section, and we've never had more than a handful, and somewhere between 1-3 shooters is the norm...

In some cases it may be the chicken and the egg thing. I might shoot SS more if there were more competitors in the division. There are probably others out there who think the same.

Would allowing other single stacks besides 1911 in the division boost participation?

I think that the SS is harder to master than other guns. The reloads, stage analysis skills play a part in this but will somebody please make a mag that is easy to clean. Ok in Limited you drop a mag to clean on a stage, in SS you drop 5, that is a lot of cleaning!

45 bullets cost a lot more than the 9 mm I shoot in my Open gun, and very little mag cleaning.

But I agree its a heck of a lot of fun to shoot, we have a Single Stack shootout in San Antonio every year, we normally have about 60+ single stacks its a hoot. Coming in September http://www.rivercityshooters.com

I think that the SS is harder to master than other guns. The reloads, stage analysis skills play a part in this but will somebody please make a mag that is easy to clean. Ok in Limited you drop a mag to clean on a stage, in SS you drop 5, that is a lot of cleaning!

45 bullets cost a lot more than the 9 mm I shoot in my Open gun, and very little mag cleaning.

But I agree its a heck of a lot of fun to shoot, we have a Single Stack shootout in San Antonio every year, we normally have about 60+ single stacks its a hoot. Coming in September http://www.rivercityshooters.com

Ron, the next time I see you at a match be sure to have me show you my Tripp Cobra mags. They are the best made now, super easy to clean, and made in Texas by Texans. So are McCormicks and Dawsons, but the Tripps are better. http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

Lot's of comments about liking to shoot not reload. If you're not reloading, you're not really doing practical shooting.

And if you're not shooting a .45, then why are you shooting at all. :sight:

Someone said "because it's the newest division". It's the ORIGINAL division. 1911s (euphemistically referred to as single stacks) were winning IPSC matches before you were born and they were winning bullseye matches before that and still are. :cheers:

;)

Edited by Steve J

Would allowing other single stacks besides 1911 in the division boost participation?

It's a 1911 Division, not a single column magazine division. Read the description in the rules. The term "single stack" is a euphemism for John Browning's Model of 1911. People only started referring to it as a "single stack" after a double column magazine frame was adapted to the original design.

Don't confuse single stack with guns that use single column magazines. Single stack is not an inclusive term.

;)

Edited by Steve J

It's a 1911 Division, not a single column magazine division. Read the description in the rules.

I am well aware of that. I said "Would allowing other single stacks..." - thus indicating my understanding that they are currently not allowed. But if the division is hurting for participation perhaps expanding it to allow other single stacks may remedy that.

It's a 1911 Division, not a single column magazine division. Read the description in the rules.

I am well aware of that. I said "Would allowing other single stacks..." - thus indicating my understanding that they are currently not allowed. But if the division is hurting for participation perhaps expanding it to allow other single stacks may remedy that.

Single stack is only a euphemism. It's a 1911 Divison not a single column magazine division. Limited-10 is the place for xyz single column magazine guns. No one wanted a Limited-8 division.