Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Boredom

oddjob

I get bored reloading, but its a necessary evil. I was wondering if people here did anything else while reloading? Listen to music, listen to and watch TV (every so often). I know about how one should just concentrate on the reloading, but I was just wondering. I have a portable dvd player set up and listen to a movie. Then watch a scene I like and go back to listening and loading.

Throw in a .40 case with a 9mm stuck in it while loading .40, or a 9 Makarov case along with the 9 Lugers while loading 9's into the casefeeder and then standby for the fun... LOL!

Seriously, though, I put in a real live CD into the CD player. The pause to swap discs forces me to take a short break since I need to walk away from the press and go dig up the next disc to play. When I step back up to the press, I give all the stations a quick look, with particular focus on the bullet seating station to make sure there is powder in the case.

I trust the auto-indexing of my 650. If I didn't have an auto indexing press, I probably would have a printed checklist of things to look over each time I step back up to the press after stepping away.

No music, no TV, no distractions at all. It's like German engineering. Ever wonder why they don't put cup holders in German spec cars? It's because the Germans' think you should be driving. Not driving and eating or drinking or talking on the phone, etc. Pay attention to what you are doing, not to something else. I load until I have enough for a while, never leaving the machine till I'm done. The other thing I do is break up my reloading into 100 round increments, so if something does come up, I stop at the end of 100 rounds.

I agree with Merlin, I seldom get bored.....

My 1050 cuts my reload days to 1-2 per month. I usually have the radio on but realistically I'm not paying much attention to it. I would never have type of video going to distract me visually.

or talk radio

Never considered this a cure for boredom! :roflol:

I listen to music and deliberately use small bins for catching loaded rounds. This forces me to stop every few hundred or so and do some drop checking.

I trust the auto-indexing of my 650. If I didn't have an auto indexing press, I probably would have a printed checklist of things to look over each time I step back up to the press after stepping away.

I use a 550B and guess what I look for when I step back up to the press. You guessed it, powder in the case at the seating station. Huh! :cheers:

I use a 550B and guess what I look for when I step back up to the press. You guessed it, powder in the case at the seating station. Huh! :cheers:

Sarge, I go one step further. I never leave the press with ANY brass in any station.

I now put on eye protection, and muffs with my iPod set on low volume. Then I just watch and feel what I am doing. Now that summer weather is here, it's like a sweat lodge environment. Ican just barely hear the music, and I really like it. It is what I do to break dryfire monotony.

I've "watched" (listened more that watched) Tv/movies while loading for 20 years or so, I can walk and chew gun at the same time. :D

What works well is syndicated reruns on Tv. I'll load every night of the week, start when the show starts, stop when it ends. I recently went back to doing that since I'd watched all my VHS/DVD movies a billion times. :roflol:

I don't try and watch new movies while loading. Bad for the loading and the movie.

I stifle the boredom by building as many automated machines that I can to complete tasks that I don’t feel like doing. I also generally spend less than an hour loading as I usually only load a thousand or so at a time. I can work and listen to the radio, as I do it every day dealing with things that potentially are much more dangerous than a reloading press but it‘s just white noise to me anyway. I save the TV for other tasks though like maybe trimming, case gauging and such.

My bench is out in my shop---I crank up the tunes while doing darned near EVERYTHING,

including reloading. 99% classic rock. Talk radio just distracts me or p1$$3s me off.

I guess that's a bit odd--I grew up on a farm with NO background music, and I don't listen

to music at my day job. Not even a member of the Walkman or iPod generation.

When I step back up to the press, I give all the stations a quick look, with particular focus on the bullet seating station to make sure there is powder in the case.

I leave the ram up if I step away from the press. That way there's no question where in the process I am.

I also just listen to music. I used to find that reloading was not boring, but back then I did not shoot and reload as many rounds. Now that I shoot more the long, multiple hour sessions have me bored. I like the idea of a mostly automated process and I hope to get there some day.

I get zoned (or is it Zen'd?) out, reloading. Each cyle is the same, repeated over and over, mantra like. It goes smoothly (unless there's a malf).

Kinda wish I could shoot the same way - aware, observant, automatic self correcting, without expectations or trying...