Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using the Stock Mag Release

98sr20ve

I took the extended one off my G34 and put the G17 type on. Before the extended would dig into my palm on occasion. Now I have to shift my grip to change magazines. I haven't done anything but practice mag changes at home but it seems really ackward. Maybe I should just learn to like the extended one. Whats the trick to useing the stock version. Is everyone else just shifting your grip when you change magazines? No way my thumb will reach with out changing my grip. Any other suggestions?

Yes, I shift on the glock 19 with the standard mag release. With the gen.4 G17, I only move my middle/ring/pinky for leverage, but my thumb still stay where it is on the mag release.

I took the extended one off my G34 and put the G17 type on. Before the extended would dig into my palm on occasion. Now I have to shift my grip to change magazines. I haven't done anything but practice mag changes at home but it seems really ackward. Maybe I should just learn to like the extended one. Whats the trick to useing the stock version. Is everyone else just shifting your grip when you change magazines? No way my thumb will reach with out changing my grip. Any other suggestions?

Please don't get so "wrapped around the axles" about having to shift your grip a bit during the reload. TGO himself has to do it and I don't recall any event that he ever lost because of a slow reload....

The short one (Part 287) is pretty difficult to use, even for those with big hands. It's so short that it is sorta recessed into the grip. The 1981 mag release is what most everyone is using, particularly in Production Division.

Try the Vicker's mag release. I don't like the Glock standard or extended releases either. The Vicker's is production legal.

Can you cite a rule for that? By my reading of the rulebook and the 2009 revisions, the Vickers mag release is not legal -- as it's not a factory offered part....

Please don't get so "wrapped around the axles" about having to shift your grip a bit during the reload. TGO himself has to do it and I don't recall any event that he ever lost because of a slow reload....

The short one (Part 287) is pretty difficult to use, even for those with big hands. It's so short that it is sorta recessed into the grip. The 1981 mag release is what most everyone is using, particularly in Production Division.

I am having a hard time using the new one I got. What is this 1981 version you speak about?

1981 is the part number for the extended mag release. I use the extended in all my Glocks including a CC G27. I use a file to break the back corners so it is not digging into my support hand palm.

I have big hands and I have to shift my grip on every pistol I shoot

I didnt know it was a disadvantage to do this, other than the obvious part about needing to make sure I got the grip right before I shot the gun again

I dont like the extended Glock mag release, I reload pretty quickly with the stock one on the G17

Try the Vicker's mag release. I don't like the Glock standard or extended releases either. The Vicker's is production legal.

The vickers release is not production legal.

D4>21.6

Any other components which are externally

visible may ONLY be replaced with OEM

parts which are offered on the specific

model of gun or another approved gun from

the same manufacturer except as specifically

clarified below. Examples of external

components which may only be replaced

with OEM parts include (but are not limited

to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb

safeties and triggers.

Special Notes/Clarifications:

A factory/OEM magazine release which

extends only the length of the magazine

release may be used. A magazine release

which provides larger surface area (paddles,

buttons) may only be used if it is an OEM

part available on an approved model of

gun.

The stock mag release spring is .050 spring wire (piano wire) you can get a three foot piece of .047 at most hobby shops for a buck or two. Cut it off the same length as the stock one, it should be noticeably lighter.

Is there a spring that provides less tension on the mag release available?

You don't really need a different spring. Just pull out the stock spring, slightly bend it with a pair of non-marring hognose pliers, and reinstall. Voila! Lighter mag button activation at absolutely no cost. I have been doing this myself for about ten years. It works.

Sorry on the bad advice on the Vickers. I thought I read in the rules a couple years ago where it was legal because it does not increase the mag release button size. Maybe I was reading the 2008 rules.

Edited by boomfab

You don't really need a different spring. Just pull out the stock spring, slightly bend it with a pair of non-marring hognose pliers, and reinstall. Voila! Lighter mag button activation at absolutely no cost. I have been doing this myself for about ten years. It works.

Emphasis on slightly! Bent tone a tad too much about a year or so ago, worked great in practice. In a match, just brushing it with my hand caused the mag to fall out. LOL, it was funny when I look back on it.

Edited by vluc

I'm fairly certain you are incorrect. It is not a factory part and it is externally visible.

Either way would work I guess the small wire is just pocket change you don't have to worry about getting it in wrong any good hobby shop should have it and one length is a life time supply for you and all your buddies. I've been using it for about 15 years and it works great, sometimes light mag release springs don't work on heavy recoiling guns but on production guns your golden.

Tim

Steve, it could be the grip you are using is placing the meat on the inside of your left hand on the extended mag release and causing the digging. I had this problem a little when I first started shooting. I stuck with the extended mag and my grip changed over the years to better stabilize the gun and take my palm off the mag release. I don't even feel the extended one now unless I'm shooting a G35 with really hot defensive rounds. Try tilting the top of your left hand more, pointing your left thumb more and parallel with the barrel while gripping the gun. This could help place the release in an open pocket at the point where the inside of your thumb and index finger bend while gripping the gun.

I turned my spring down to .047 in the middle: chucked it in my Dremel and used fine grit sand paper. Now a light touch is all it takes to drop the mag.

Much less labor intensive to get the decreased diameter wire. I assume (haven't tried it) that it still fits snugly in the hole for the larger diameter original spring.

Wow. No offense, dude - seriously - but that sounds to me like just asking for a broken mag button spring. :(

One did go out on me, after about two and a half years of weekly use in matches and practice, and after doing 300 reloads a day in dry fire practice over 4 months. That's about 45 thousand cycles. Granted the unmodded stock spring would prolly never give out, but I have trouble dropping the mag quickly if the stock spring is in.

I turn the springs down not in a single spot, which would concentrate all the flexion and one spot and accelerate metal fatigue, but along the length except both ends.

Very labor intensive, though, to make one. If the .047" std wire doesn't have any significant play in the frame, I'm going that way in the future.

Edited by kevin c