Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited 10

rrflyer

Just trying to get the groups opinion on how big of a disadvantage a single stack gun is for shooting LIM 10.

I'm trying to decide if I shouuld spend the money to get my Eagle up and running or just buy some 10 round mags for my single stack and start shooting.

I know its mostly the Indian and not the arrow but there is some equipment benefits.

Benefits of the Eagle are easier reloading and slightly less recoil. Anything else I'm missing?

I think the biggest disadvantage would be the lack of a magwell the size of the grand canyon on your Single stack. That and single stack mags are inherently harder to handle during a reload because they are shorter and thinner. With an STI/SVI you can put a huge magwell on it and then run high cap mags (obviously loaded down to 10 rounds each) and it would be a LOT easier to reload than a single stack. When shooting L10 you will be doing at least 2 - 3 reloads per field course. If your reload is 1/2 a second slower with a single stack verses a 2011 based gun then that is pure wasted time.

But as you said, its the Indian not the Arrow which wins the match. I have seen a quite a few single stack shooters compete in L10 with their normal single stack and extended magazines. It would be a lot cheaper to buy 10 round magazines for your single stack verses building up a whole new gun for L10.

IMO---The only disadvantages are both related to reloads.

The smaller mag well has been mentioned. I believe that with a 10 round mag in a SS the fact that the mag extends well beyond the mag well makes consistant reloads problematic. When I shot L-10 with my SS I often over "hammered" the mag in place (actually bending the feed lips of a mag once)---- or once in a while failed to get it seated 100%.

Edited by MichiganShootist

The Eagle just needs a Dawson Ice and a Trigger job and its ready to rock in limited 10 or Limited. Look up this Eagle shooter A34308 on USPSA.org. 180gr JHP Zero 5.1gr WST rock and roll. Fiber optic front sight if you like. 14# recoil and it gets good after 1K rounds. Mags you need 3 140's with Dawson SNL and use Dawson followers for 100% reliable feeding, they will hold 20 or 21. (for L10 you don't need base pads).

As to single stack limited 10, choose your mags carefully, I see a lot of shooters with 10rd mag issues, down in this part of the country you have to clean them every time they hit the dirt. I run my SS in SS where it belongs and use 8 rd Wilson 47DE with a huge TecWare TecWell XT its almost as big as the Dawson ICE but still a bit slower. Sure I have used 6 mags in a stage with L10 I might have used 5 with Limited 2 and open 1. SS I run 6 mags on the belt one in the gun and one in the back pocket to top off. No I don't like to be handicapped by a lack of ammo, some stages just don't work out for 8 or 10 shots. If you move reload.

Edited by CocoBolo

Thanks for the info thus far guys.

I own the eagle already but wasn't planning on starting to shoot it for a couple of months(time to save up to buy stuff)

I've been shooting single stack for the last couple of years so i already have nearly everything I'd need except mags for it.

I figure itll cost about 1,000 bucks for mags/holster/reloading equip etc.. etc...

I went out and ran 100 rounds through the eagle today with factory ammo and even though I have a techwell on the SS gun the eagle was definitely easier. The wider grip seemed like the recoil was a little less or maybe just easier to control, as well.

There is other benefits of shooting a limited legal gun that a SS legal gun won't have. For one you can lighten slides, shoot 6 inch gun etc. Like others have said though the biggest is the size of the magwell. The SS magwell is just a touch larger than the mag. The eagle's magwell is twice the size of the top of the mag.

Shoot what you have. If you have an SS gun then shoot L10 with that. I can't really see any justification for buying a Limited gun to only shoot L10 unless you plan on shooting limited as well.

If you dry fire your reloads, your reload time will be out of the question. You don't NEED a huge magwell to have a fast reload. Although it helps, it is not needed. Id say get the 10 round mags and practice.

Edited by jkatz44

Blah, blah, blah...shoot a mike or hit a no-shoot and none of it matters. Gun malfunctions...none of it matters.

If you like your single-stack, if it runs, if you shoot it to your ability...rock on in L-10 with it!! cheers.gif

Pick one and practice!

[eta]

The way to nail reloads is to LOOK them in...and practice.

I'm trying to decide if I shouuld spend the money to get my Eagle up and running or just buy some 10 round mags for my single stack and start shooting.

Which gun do you shoot best/most? That should be your determining factor. Reloads are an issue, but using the gun that points and handles naturally will have a much larger impact on your shooting.

Hello: I say shoot your single stack with 10 round mags. You just have to buy 3 10 round mags and use your 8 round mags for the rest. If you plan your reloads well it is not as much of an issue. I have seen some very good single stack shooters beat some good open shooters. Thanks, Eric

From the perspective of equipment, I'm surprised that single stacks can be competitive, but they ARE, and many people do very well with them.

I have both guns and if I wanted to shoot L10, I'd shoot it with my Eagle because it'd be slightly easier to load.

But I'm willing to bet that it wouldn't make a difference either way.

im thinking about shootin my SS gun in L-10 a lil bit just for the fun of it. if you are buying a gun for L10 i wouldnt buy a SS gun, but if you have it, why not!?

Hello: I say shoot your single stack with 10 round mags. You just have to buy 3 10 round mags and use your 8 round mags for the rest. If you plan your reloads well it is not as much of an issue. I have seen some very good single stack shooters beat some good open shooters. Thanks, Eric

I don't think the 10rd mags would fit in the box so he'd need a set of each (8 and 10).

I don't think the 10rd mags would fit in the box so he'd need a set of each (8 and 10).

If you are running a Single Stack pistol in L-10 your magazines can be longer; up to 6.742" (vs. 5.561" in non-SS pistols).

There's no box for L10. Granted, the same skinny gun running SSTK division would have to fit in it but in L10 the only similar restriction is the mags can't be over 170mm.

There's no box for L10. Granted, the same skinny gun running SSTK division would have to fit in it but in L10 the only similar restriction is the mags can't be over 170mm.

After looking back, I misinterpreted what Aircooled6racer was saying. I thought he meant use 8rd and 10rd in SS AND L10 but apparently what he meant was use the 10rders and 8rders to supplement in L10.

Sorry for the confusion. :o

Mags you need 3 140's with Dawson SNL and use Dawson followers for 100% reliable feeding, they will hold 20 or 21. (for L10 you don't need base pads).

FWIW, I recently checked my four recent manufacture Dawson 140mm mags and one older SVI 140mm, as well as four of a buddy's recent Dawson 140mm mags, in the official mag gauge. Not a single one of them was legal, as is, with the SNL basepads. Some were closer than others but every single one would require the rear feed lips to be filed down to fit. YMMV.

Go to a match where they use the mag length gauge and you don't fit, "Welcome to Open."

Curtis

Mags you need 3 140's with Dawson SNL and use Dawson followers for 100% reliable feeding, they will hold 20 or 21. (for L10 you don't need base pads).

FWIW, I recently checked my four recent manufacture Dawson 140mm mags and one older SVI 140mm, as well as four of a buddy's recent Dawson 140mm mags, in the official mag gauge. Not a single one of them was legal, as is, with the SNL basepads. Some were closer than others but every single one would require the rear feed lips to be filed down to fit. YMMV.

Go to a match where they use the mag length gauge and you don't fit, "Welcome to Open."

Curtis

It's interesting that you had that experience, because mine was the exact opposite. At my RO class this past weekend, I gauged all of mine and they had a LOT of room to spare (all were legal). STI tubes + Dawson SNLs.

Curtis

None of mine did either with the SNL.

Curtis

It's interesting that you had that experience, because mine was the exact opposite. At my RO class this past weekend, I gauged all of mine and they had a LOT of room to spare (all were legal). STI tubes + Dawson SNLs.

Hmmm. You're right about that interesting discrepancy. But that's why they are SNL (Sometimes Not Legal). FWIW, all the STI tubes I measured were Dawson tuned mags. Hard to get an accurate caliper reading in there but the rear feed lips on the Dawson regular +1 pads had approx. 2.3mm clearance in the gauge. Those pads are 20.9mm wide in the rear where they lie on the back of the gauge. The SNL pad I just grabbed is 22.49 mm in width in the same area. These measurements jive with my initial evaluation that from .1 - .2 mm would need to be removed from the rear of the feed lips of the mags to make them drop freely into the gauge.

As always, YMMV.

Curtis

Mine all fit fine now that they have been sent down to Freedom Gunworks but I don't think I've come across a stock tube and a SNL that fit. It didn't take much to make it fit though.