Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Buy New Or Once Fired Brass?

PistolPete

I'm curious as to where everyone gets their brass. I have a few thousand .40 cases that were originally once fired by me in a Sig. I've been using this for my SV Limited gun but I want to get more brass so I can load more at a time. I was going to buy from Starline brass but at about $100 per 1000 it is a bit pricey. I looked on Ebay and found tons of sellers selling once fired brass for about $10. I've bought brass on Ebay several times before in .45 ACP but never for .40.

Has anyone bought .40 brass on Ebay and not had any feeding problems? Just curious cause it needs to run in an SV with a Schueman barrel. I'm afraid I'll get all Glock brass.

I'm using a Lee Factory Crimp die which has helped. So far the SV has fed everything I've put thru it.

I got .40 ones fired (nickel)brass from midway for $12 for 1000

The first couple times I got 95% federal.

Just last week I got 100% Speer.

They have a rectangle like fireing pin mark and a slight bulge,I am assuming it is glocked.

I have not had any problems resizeing them on my dillon square deal.

They all drop in the case gauge and feed into my bar-sto barrel.

Good luck...

stryfox,

You can quit assuming. That brass has been fired through a Glock. My Dillion sizer does a good job getting the bulge out, and I use a Lee FCD as "extra insurance". I have yet to have a FTF in my STI shooting resized Glock brass.

Ray C.

Pete,

First let me say that I sell once fired brass. I clean it, roll size it and polish it. By no means do I make a living or even support my shooting habit but I roll size my brass so I thought maybe others would want it as well w/o investing in the equipment to do so.

The problem with "once fired" brass is that unless you have a lot of trust in the seller as to the origin, it is hard to be 100% sure it is in fact "once fired". I have bought brass from several people claiming this and when you get a federal nickle case that has a brass primer, I'm 99.997% sure it has been reloaded at least once. So if you find someone selling 100% once fired, fantasitic. Ebay is not a bad source. Send me an email or PM and I'll tell you who I have had good luck with.

I find that since some of the brass I have bought was fired in a barrel that was not fully supported, the bulge at the base will cause a small % of the cases to not to pass a case guage or even worse, not chamber. There are several different ways to remove the bulge. See this posting. I choose to roll size. I think that is the best way. I have 40 S&W brass that has been loaded to 170 pf, fired 10 times and roll sized in between every firing, and not cracked separated. I'm comfortable with that.

And do not assume that just because it was fired in a glock that it is bad. Sixgun said he has fired brass form his own glock that works fine. I believe him.

If I did not roll size, I'd buy virgin brass for major matches.

I'd use brass that I had bought new and once fired in practice for other matches.

And I'd use multi fired brass that I had bought once fired and recovered from my gun for everything else.

However, I do roll size. So I shoot virgin brass at major matches becasue it is just not worth the risk to save $20.

I shoot once fired roll sized for other matches. BTW, I usually do not pick up 40 S&W of 9x19 brass from this group unless the range police require it.

When I do pick up this brass, it goes in a special bucket as "practice" brass that is roll sized as well.

I fire nothing but once fired. I was very sketchy about doing this in a highend gun at first. THe real key is to get that EGW die. It basically is as good as roll sizing but no extra steps. I havent had a single malf in about 12,000 rounds so far. I buy it all from brassmanmrass.com. Cant beat $8 per 1000.

www.brassmanbrass.com

I've had good luck from there when I wanted once fired.

Ditto.

Pricing for 1k .40 once-fired brass ranges from $9 to $20, depending on the options (mixed/same headstamp, brass/nickeled, etc.)

After a thorough cleanup, they are good stuff.

brassmanbrass.com is pretty good, I've used them quite a bit. The ONLY small problem with them I have is that my last 2 orders of .40 brass have been about 90% Glock fired, but it's only a minor. I buy maybe 2000 new cases (Major Match brass) and probably 20,000 once-fired throughout the year for local matches.

All once fired, I don't pick my brass at matches. I do pick up practice brass and it goes into a seperate bucket, when I bought last time I got 11 thou and when thats gone I will clean up the practice bucket and quit picking it up til its gone. The egw dies are really good and glock brass is just not a problem anymore. Larry

The Case Pro is a wonderful solution to the "Glock brass" problem. If you can hook up with someone at a police department to get their range droppings, it's great way to know that once fired is really just that.

The unusual thing abotu the 40 now days is that you can often buy brass for less than the cost of the primer.

AFDavis11- The bulged case problem is going to happen in any unsupported barrel in any caliber. IE, all glock brass in all calibers. As long as you fix it, there should be no problem. Tons of Glocks out there making tons of once fired brass. Make sure that your dies are doing a good job resing far enough down the case to get all of the bulge out.

I get all my 1x brass on eBay. There's a guy, 46silverfox, who sells lots of same-headstamp brass in various calibers, supposedly from LE ranges. At any rate, it's good stuff, I've bought several lots. He lists lots of 1000 and 2000 on eBay, but if you contact him he can get you as much as you need.

Thanx .40AET.

I'm uncertain on the source of my bulged brass. Does Kimber use an unsupported barrel?

If I buy the Lee dies will they work in a Dillion press?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm so sick of this problem I've moved to 9mm and quit reloading. Would like to get back to it if I can just quit building so many dang unchambering rounds!!!!!

AF all auto pistol barrels are unsupported. I get my brass from Brassman also. My RCBS dies work fine. One thing I do is chamber check my loads before a match. I occasionally run across a piece of brass that looks like it was fired in a Sig that is really bulged. It is so bad that after sizing the brass looks like a belted case.

Most dies will fit the Dillon.