Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Buy New Or Once Fired Brass?

PistolPete

Joe D-Help me out. I was under the impression that all 1911 style barrels are fully supported. Also, that Glock was the only manufacturer who chose to not follow the SAAMI specifications. If you have a list of manufacturers who build guns with unsupported chambers, it would be a great help. BTW, what does "AF" mean?

Thanks,

Kirk

If I buy the Lee dies will they work in a Dillion press?

Yes Lee dies will work in a Dillon press. The Lee's do not have as much thread on them as the Dillon dies do. I just put the locknut on the underside of the toolhead. I have heard some people have luck with the "new" Dillon locknuts in the conventional location. The Dillon locknuts seem to be thinner than the Lees.

Ray C.

I must be lucky, but I have never seen a need for dies other than my factory dillon dies. I have loaded 50k+ rounds of .40. All started as 1x brass from midway and have not had a single round that failed the case gague. The initial sizing effort is heavy, but after you fire the stuff through a fully supported barrel the next time around it slides through the press like butter.

Guest Larry Cazes

Years ago I was given 20K pieces of .40 brass that came from a local LE range and just recently put together 40 rounds to do load developement for a new gun. I used Dillon dies and had 2 out of 40 that wouldn't chamber due to the dreaded glock bulge. I bought an EGW U die and the problem has not ocurred again. I think it really depends on how tight your chamber is and on whether it was fired in a Glock originally.