Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited gun recommendations?

Hello Folks!

I am a very new USPSA shooter that has a few matches under my belt. I am thinking about next year and I want to shoot limited instead of production. I have seen limited glocks, SVI, STI, and Brazos. Any recommendations from the more experienced folks? I have small hands so the smaller the grip in circumference, the better. I like the Brazos.

Hello Folks!

I am a very new USPSA shooter that has a few matches under my belt. I am thinking about next year and I want to shoot limited instead of production. I have seen limited glocks, SVI, STI, and Brazos. Any recommendations from the more experienced folks? I have small hands so the smaller the grip in circumference, the better. I like the Brazos.

I like the Brazos as well, just not enough to pay for it. My #1 limited gun is a Dawson HPF Edge #2 is an SVI they are both good. There seems to be two groups in Limited those that prefer the lighter Eagle and the guys that like the heavier Edge style try both and see where you fit.

I shoot a modified XDM 40 with an additional conversion to 9mm. It has 3 grip sizes so you'd probably find one that fits you. I can give details if you're interested.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Ah that I were young enough to have focus now that I see the use of it. - Me

It really depends on your budget, but STI and SV, you can not go wrong.

Lots of reputable gunsmiths can make it run very well and reliable.

Your key really is the GRIP! Modified small grip on an STI platform would

be perfect!but then again, EAA, CZ has their Limited guns for less than $1500 for the

whole set up with upgrades and its preety competative against STI,for the reason of natural curve fit of the grip,good looking gun plus great contour.Mind you that these

are steel and (polymer steel which is the STI) not including the polymer guns.

On the polymer side, I like the glocks.Glocks are like energizer bunny it just works!!

I got an STI when I first started..8 years later,till now I'm still trying to catch

up on the gun. You said you like the Brazo..enough said and just get it!

Depending on where you live, you could be well into next season by the time you get a Brazos. Bob makes nice guns, no doubt, but if you're really new, it'll be a while before you'll know what you want, and it'll be at least that long before gun differences can help you.

I'd save time and money and get a tuned Edge from Dawson or Brazos and put the difference into mags and ammo...figure at least $500 for mags, so it's not just the cost of the gun. Shoot the heck out of it and eventually you'll know what you want/need for the next gun, and you'll wind up with a backup that will last a long time.

With small hands you'll want to get a grip cut down/contoured to make a 2011 feel a lot better. It's pretty easy to do yourself if you're reasonably handy. Search "grip stipple" in the gunsmithing section and you'll find a thread that I started with detailed instructions and pictures. You can also buy grips done this way, but it won't be quite the same as fitting it to your hand as you work on it. R,

If you like heavier pistols, give a look to Tanfos and CZs.

The CZ 75 TS is a little large in the grip, but not terribly so. With thin grips and a CTS frame reduction job from the Custom Shop it would be slimmed down a good bit. You can also get them to cut down the dustcover as part of that mod, if you don't like the extra weight up front.

They are also great on a budget - initial purchase price of my entire CZ limited rig was around $2300; that includes 4 20-round (reloadable) mags, so it's competitive. Of course I would choose the CZ even if it had a higher price tag. They just work for me.

I've never been a fan of the argument that small hands require a small grip. We hang on with two hands. There are plenty of big name shooters with small paws shooting with a big grip. Ms. Neomet has dainty little mitts and likes both our CZ Tac Sport with a cut down grip and my STI double stack. Still, a small grip can definitely be a preference.

Not sure on your price point but Cameron's builds absolutely amazingly accurate, reliable guns. They currently have a 5 and a 6 in stock. Much less expensive than Brazos.

http://shootersconnectionstore.com/Cameron-Custom-Guns-P1702.aspx

Edited by Neomet

I went the Glock route. Bought a 24C and put in a solid Lone Wolf barrel in it, a Dawson Ice magwell (wish I woulda bought the brass one, it would balance out the gun better), Warren/Sevigney sights, a drop-in Zev Tech trigger, and made my own full length guide rod. Love the long sight radius as I'm not all that accurate with a pistol anyhoo.

Mags are only $30 tops and the extensions cost about the same and they need no tuning that I have found.

This gun just runs and runs.......

Brad

What do you shoot right now in Production? Have you ever shot/ or do you like the 1911 configuration gun? Those are two big questions that you need to answer before you drop the money. If you are not comfortable with or used to shooting a 1911 style pistol, then you may not want to fire off a couple grand for a STI/SV.

If you are, then you can't go wrong with listening to any of the advise already given.

Hello Folks!

The thing I can tell you is ask some guys to try their guns out. That way you can shoot and STI, SVI etc. You can shoot limited with any platform and be competitive. The main thing you need to watch is what your capacity is. Just about every brand has after market basepads you can add on.

Flyin

+1 I tried a a couple other options but ended up picking up a Brazos in the classified here on Enos. Still paying for it but would not do it any other way today.

It really depends on your budget, but STI and SV, you can not go wrong.

Lots of reputable gunsmiths can make it run very well and reliable.

Your key really is the GRIP! Modified small grip on an STI platform would

be perfect!but then again, EAA, CZ has their Limited guns for less than $1500 for the

whole set up with upgrades and its preety competative against STI,for the reason of natural curve fit of the grip,good looking gun plus great contour.Mind you that these

are steel and (polymer steel which is the STI) not including the polymer guns.

On the polymer side, I like the glocks.Glocks are like energizer bunny it just works!!

I got an STI when I first started..8 years later,till now I'm still trying to catch

up on the gun. You said you like the Brazo..enough said and just get it!

+1 I tried a a couple other options but ended up picking up a Brazos in the classified here on Enos. Still paying for it but would not do it any other way today.

I'm in a fairly similar situation as you. I have been shooting production for about a year and a half. I shoot a Glock 34. Because of having 3 kids in college soon I will buy a Glock 35 and get it set up for limited next year probably. At my performance level it won't hold me back at all but someday I'll eventually end up with the gun I really would love to have without any guilt attached as far as financial priorities. I'll spend the money I save for now on components and match fees.

I'm in a fairly similar situation as you. I have been shooting production for about a year and a half. I shoot a Glock 34. Because of having 3 kids in college soon I will buy a Glock 35 and get it set up for limited next year probably. At my performance level it won't hold me back at all but someday I'll eventually end up with the gun I really would love to have without any guilt attached as far as financial priorities. I'll spend the money I save for now on components and match fees.

I hear ya TOP, as the father of four, I went with a G35 and started with Limited this year.

dsc06495.jpg

Edited by HICKMAN

on the budget theme, yrs ago all of my open guns and my limited gun, basically are 'parts guns' that i picked up a part here and there without really trashing the budget, then took the box o' parts to the favorite smithy who assembled em all, to me anyways it may take a lil longerto get into, but hey, its far less painfull then some ofthe prices that i am hearing some guns are garnering now....

I hear ya TOP, as the father of four, I went with a G35 and started with Limited this year.

And the clock is ticking on how long that extended slide stop lever lasts...

They're the closest thing to pure evil on a Glock :lol:

I have small hands also and have been shooting a Para P14 in .45 built from a frame kit before entire guns and .40 cal. If I were just starting out I am sure I would go with an STI or SV but some of the Glock, XD, MP's built into Limited guns look appealing for someone on a budget.

JMHOFWIW

Richard

And the clock is ticking on how long that extended slide stop lever lasts...

They're the closest thing to pure evil on a Glock :lol:

Haha, you are quite right! That thing came off about two days after that picture was taken. :D