Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SIRT pistol

eric nielsen

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the red/green model and it does not work with my laserlyte target :( bummer on that.

the red laser will work on the laserlyte targets ( both models ). Check out the manual, pg. 16 on

inverting the prep and shot indicator lasers to switch the red and green functions. hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had so little time to get to the range the past couple years that my shooting has gone right into the dumper. This looks like a possible training alternative, but I do have a couple questions.

The main thing has to do with the laser colors and the associated cost. The green is quite a bit more and I wonder what it brings to the training that the red cannot provide?

The second question has to do with the mags. Can real Glock mags be used? If not, I seem to recall reading that you could weight the training mag but am not sure.

I have had so little time to get to the range the past couple years that my shooting has gone right into the dumper. This looks like a possible training alternative, but I do have a couple questions.

The main thing has to do with the laser colors and the associated cost. The green is quite a bit more and I wonder what it brings to the training that the red cannot provide?

The second question has to do with the mags. Can real Glock mags be used? If not, I seem to recall reading that you could weight the training mag but am not sure.

I dont think you'll lose anything if you go with a red/red SIRT, but the green is much brighter and looks different than the trigger prep laser. As for using glock 17 magazines, they will work. I had to file my SIRT just a bit so that the mag drops freely.

Are there any non Glock shooters training with a SIRT? I wanted to try one but I dont shoot a Glock and don't see myself ever shooting one. Not sure if the SIRT would hurt more than help with the different grip and trigger?

I dont think you'll lose anything if you go with a red/red SIRT, but the green is much brighter and looks different than the trigger prep laser.

The main use I saw for the trigger prep laser was to track muzzle movement when I was moving, but after looking a bit more carefully at some of the training exercises, I can see some uses I had not considered.

As to the mags, I don't have a G17 but I do have a G35 and I was under the impression that they shared the same outside physical dimensions. I'll have to discuss this with the manufacturer.

<later that same day...>

I called and asked about the mags and the reply was that they might work but would probably not work well. Part of this is due to the fact that there have been a number of minor changes to mags and part because of the way the SIRT mags are made.

After talking a bit more about the differences between the models, I decided to order the Performer RG version. I could probably get by with the RR but having the RG gives me some added options. We'll see how well this works for me.

Edited by Graham Smith

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd post an update on this. One of the reasons I got the SIRT is that my vision has been getting worse and I just have very little time to get to the range. I have to really concentrate to get a good sight picture and that really slows things down, so I end up going to fast and end up with too many D's and misses.

For the past several weeks, I've been practicing point shooting around the house. Trying to condition myself to get the pistol into the right place in front of me so that I know where the shot is going to hit. And it's been time well spent because I'm starting to get a lot more A's. Still having some problems with the second shot at distance but that's a different issue to solve.

Good to hear Graham. I am interested on how you change up your target size and distance to work your natural point of aim (and identify/push limits of our NPA) and when you have to use sights. As a tip, keep your SIRT on a common area table and when you wake up... pick the SIRT off the table, and shoot a target that is just at the brink of almost needing the sights. You are totally uncalibrated (after sleeeping for 8 hours or so) so it is a good way to develop our natural aim basing the alignment of the muzzle from the feel of our grip.
But the first thing morning training is literally a 10 second training. 2 seconds of set up (if that), a few seconds of execution (grab SIRT and hit the target like a clock or something accross the room), and then break down which is nothing (putting sirt back down on table). :) cheers

Kaizen! these small sessions add up HUGE over the year.

I am interested on how you change up your target size and distance to work your natural point of aim (and identify/push limits of our NPA) and when you have to use sights.

What I have started to do is to go to a room and stand at the low ready, close my eyes, turn slowly around a bit, then open my eyes and try and zap everything in sight as fast as I can. Everything in the room becomes a target. Things like each corner of a picture gives me 4 targets. I try and hit everything I can see without moving my feet, just turning my body. Even to the point of shooting off angle as well as off axis. I also keep the SIRT at hand by my couch and will pick it up when there's a commercial on and start shooting.

I do have some 1/4 size IPSC targets that I've stuck up in the basement, but since I have a low ceiling it's not safe to try and move and shoot. Still working on better ways to practice that, but riding the red laser while I move is helping me keep the SIRT steady.

I love my SIRT pistol. I have the plastic slide student version. Though now mine is not at all like when I started.

-All of the laser stuff is removed. Metal weight has been added to the gun to make it weigh closer to my G34. No laser=no peeking past the sights.

-Yes you can use Glock mags in it. My blue training mag does not fit in the Sirt. But the Sirt weighted mag does fit in my G34.

-The absolute biggest positive has come from having the exact same Warren/Sevigny sights on my Sirt as are on my G34. Hands down the best improvement to my shooting in the shortest amount of time.

-I have 1/4 and 1/3 IDPA and other targets all over my garage. Makes for awesome training.

After you learn to prep the trigger, I see no reason for the dual lasers.

After you learn to prep the trigger, I see no reason for the dual lasers.

Hi bro, I hear you about turning the prep indicator off. But one thing to try is using the prep when training shooting on the move. For some reason when we hit a lot of reps at shooting on the move with the SIRT that prep laser (sitting low out of sight picture) gets picked up with our non dominant eye and I found myself moving smoother and smoother and smoother. Something about seeing it bobble around at first and letting the body naturally dampen out. Also gives feedback when the woble is smaller that the acceptable accuracy zone (A zone or zero down zone) so we get a sense when we can pound the targets irrespective of our foot timing, and moreover, know when we have to sequence shots with our foot timing (in-between strides).

Secondly, using the prep on some super high speed target transitions. Try hitting a drill when you transition back and forth as fast as humanly possible. Our off eye will see if we are over transitioning and we tend to dampening in to target 'critically damped', that is slowing down as soon as possible.

A third area I use the take up is similar to a transition where I present and break as soon as the red shows anywhere near 6:00 on the target. it like gives me awareness where the muzzle is aligned before I can get any sight picture. I am surprised at how much the gun is aligned before I think it is. Now the 1000 mile journey is to build these skills with targets at a variety of sized and distances! reps!

But all in all, I personally only use the take up laser less then 10% of the time for my personal training. So at about 800 trigger pulls a day, that's about 80 reps or so. Great dialog! Mike Hughes

Since this seems to be the SIRT users thread thought I'd post the question here: anyone tried to reduce the grip circumference? I've just recently switched to the no-extra-backstrap grip on my Gen4 Glocks, so I'd like to match the SIRT grip to my Glocks as closely as possible.

Since this seems to be the SIRT users thread thought I'd post the question here: anyone tried to reduce the grip circumference? I've just recently switched to the no-extra-backstrap grip on my Gen4 Glocks, so I'd like to match the SIRT grip to my Glocks as closely as possible.

2mm is the difference and sirt trigger is nothing like a Glock.

I find that to be the biggest limiting factor when it comes to the "realism factor". On the other hand, if I can learn to hold it steady with that heavy a trigger, then my actual pistol is like a feather in comparison.

I find that to be the biggest limiting factor when it comes to the "realism factor". On the other hand, if I can learn to hold it steady with that heavy a trigger, then my actual pistol is like a feather in comparison.

I adjusted mine to the lightest level. Sirt is still better than nothing. Lots of productive drills highlighted in stoeger book.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the red/red model of the SIRT Pro for about 6 months and ended up selling it. I felt like it was causing me to develop some bad habits in regards to watching my front sight. Despite moving the laser down so that it impacted behind the front sight and I couldn't see it with my dominant eye, I could still see it peripherally with my other eye, and I felt like it negatively impacted my ability to call shots based on the sight picture alone.

One of the best uses I found for it was practicing shooting on the move. The laser feedback for that was excellent to figure out how fast I could move and still keep shots in the A zone at 10-15 yard distances.

It was great to have a resetting trigger for dry firing, and the buddy who bought it from me ended up taping over the laser most of the time to just take advantage of the resetting trigger.

If you have the discipline to not get distracted by the laser and really focus on the front sight, it's a great training tool.

• 2 weeks later...

If you see the red laser while you're moving, you've just DQed. Not sure that I would train that way. Bad habbit.

Shooting on the move?

8.5.1 Except when the competitor is actually aiming or shooting at targets,

all movement (see Appendix A3) must be accomplished with the fin-

gers visibly outside the trigger guard and the safety should be engaged.

The handgun must be pointed in a safe direction.

• 2 months later...

I'm about to order a SIRT. Anyone know who has the best prices on them? Or if any vendors that stock them are having black Friday specials? I'm planning on going with the base model with just the red laser as I'll only be using it indoors. Is this a mistake and I should spring for one of the higher end models? Thanks

I adjusted mine to the lightest level. Sirt is still better than nothing. Lots of productive drills highlighted in stoeger book.

With the SIRT you can work all aspects except recoil management. It's especially good for mag change practice.

With the SIRT you can work all aspects except recoil management. It's especially good for mag change practice.

I also like the fact that you can get good controlled-pair practice.