Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

E-Clip for Decapping Pin

I was reloading on my 650 the other day when I felt a hard stop on the downstroke along with an audible a clunk. Issue turned out to be a rock wedged inside a piece of brass. It not only bent the decapping pin (easily fixed), but also snapped the e-clip that holds the whole decapping assemble inside the resizing die. Would a standard e-clip from home depot would work? If so, and if anyone knows the correct size (forgot to bring the die with me), I'll stop on the way home.

Thanks!

Don't remeber the size, and im not at the shop right now so can't check, but they will work. Bought a bunch of them at the hardware store after breaking three in a week onone batch of tough rifle brass.

I bouhgt my 550 two years ago with spare parts kit. never used the spare parts kit.

Broke the e clip one night, was excited to finally use my spare parts kit, no retaining clips.

shut down reloading for the night. next day bought 10 of them from the hardware store.

The same thing happened to me a while back, and I went out and bought some spares... I came back home and called Dillon to suggest that they add a spare snap ring or two to the spare parts kit, and they ended up sending me half a dozen snap rings that I really didn't call to ask for in the first place.

I use a piece of steel from a spring. After I broke the 4th one I put some spring steel in there and twisted it leaving the pigtail sticking out. I have never broke it. I sent the press off a few months ago for a refresh and it can back with that c-clip in there and it broke a few hundred rounds into reloading. I put the spring steel back in there and no worries.

JT

• 3 months later...

I absolutely love this forum. I broke the e clip on the resizing die tonight and was all set to post a picture and ask everyone what to do. But first, I did a quick search and found this old thread.

Thank you Benoverse for answering my question before I could even ask it!!!

When this happened to me I called Dillon and they gave me two answers. First - if I was in a hurry I should go to the hardware store and buy a 1/4" E-clip. Second, they'd send me new clips(they sent two) but I should look at the top of the die and see if the washer was still there. It wasn't, it flew away when the clip broke. I was told the washer buffers the clip, and without the washer the new clip would soon break. They also shipped me two washers.

When this happened to me I called Dillon and they gave me two answers. First - if I was in a hurry I should go to the hardware store and buy a 1/4" E-clip. Second, they'd send me new clips(they sent two) but I should look at the top of the die and see if the washer was still there. It wasn't, it flew away when the clip broke. I was told the washer buffers the clip, and without the washer the new clip would soon break. They also shipped me two washers.

I asked a question about the wave washer that goes under the e-clip and was told that it was eliminated as unnecessary years ago. See post here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66916&view=findpost&p=1114161

I have never broken an e-clip on a Dillon die that has a wave washer installed and their new dies are not equipped with them any longer.

Edited by BigTinVA

I asked a question about the wave washer that goes under the e-clip and was told that it was eliminated as unnecessary years ago. See post here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=66916&view=findpost&p=1114161

I have never broken an e-clip on a Dillon die that has a wave washer installed and their new dies are not equipped with them any longer.

Cool. Someone at Dillon still thinks the wave washer is important because I bought my 650 new in April this year, and the E-clip problem happened last month.

Just an FYI in case any one else happens on this thread and needs to know where they can find them. The local Ace Hardware was closed yesterday so I had to go to Lowes/Home Depot. Lowes was out, and the label said $1.79. Not sure how many were in the bag since they were out, but based on the other ones around it, I'd say one or two. I found them at Home Depot. 2 in a bag for 50 cents.

As others have said, 1/4" e clip. I put it on and all is well again.

Thanks again everyone.

... I broke the e clip on the resizing die tonight and ...

Tell the truth! You didn't break it, you lost it when you took it off so you could see inside whee the magic is that makes it work!

Shows what you know....I broke it "decapping" a Coors Light bottle.

I went through about 4 of these E-Clips and then decided it would be better to simply drill and tap the top of the decapping die so I could screw a bolt into the top of it. I also put a washer and small rubber O-Ring below the bolt to buffer the downward snap of the decapping die after it pushed the primer out and that has made it a lot quieter. The only noise it makes now is a dull "thunk" as it pops out the primers. Rigged up with the bolt it has run flawlessly for at least 15K of rounds loaded so far and no more E-Clips to replace :cheers:

.... I also put a washer and small rubber O-Ring below the bolt to buffer the downward snap of the decapping die after it pushed the primer out and that has made it a lot quieter. The only noise it makes now is a dull "thunk" as it pops out the primers. ...

My impression was that the "snap" was desirable as it would "throw" off some of the primers that might otherwise hang onto the decapping pin and get pulled back into the primer pocket.

Are you doing large or small primers and do you ever have any that don't deprime the first time (get pulled back into the pocket)?

I am only reloading .40 with small primers. I have never had a primer get pulled back into the primer pocket. It still snaps downward by the spring loaded force of the decapping plunger but the end of the travel is cushioned by the O-Ring.

Read "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Repair."

I had a roommate in college whose father owned a printing press business. He always told stories about customers who would only use his "nuts and bolts" since they must have been specifically made for the presses. He sold 5 cent bolts for a dollar or more.

Company I worked for put together kits of the tools needed for the end user. They were knowingly sold for several times what the tools were worth, but the customers wanted to be sure that they had "the right tools."

Take the brass-colored part to Home Depot and find a clip that fits the hole.