Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL550B Roller Handle Vs Stock.

Well, after over a year of running with the aluminum roller handle that came on my 550B I purchased used I decided to give the standard stick shift and ball a try. What a difference!!!! I find it MUCH easier to operate the press and find it less tiring. Anyone else decided to do the same? I've only run a couple of hundred rounds thru it this way but found it a lot easier on the arm especially when seating the primers.

Well, after over a year of running with the aluminum roller handle that came on my 550B I purchased used I decided to give the standard stick shift and ball a try. What a difference!!!! I find it MUCH easier to operate the press and find it less tiring. Anyone else decided to do the same? I've only run a couple of hundred rounds thru it this way but found it a lot easier on the arm especially when seating the primers.

I have mixed feelings. I like the pull stroke using the roller and the push stroker (primer) with the ball. But overall, I prefer the roller. I guess that there's just no pleasing some people.

On a 650 and 1050, and I suppose on a 550 with casefeeder, I strongly prefer the roller handle.....

That flips though if we're talking about the SDB or a casefeeder-less 550 -- then I actually prefer the ball...

I have a 550 with out casefeeder and I love the roller handle.

I have a bad wrist the the roller is the absolute worst for that wrist. I like the ball because I can use different parts of the hand and wrist.

Plus it reminds me of my old Ventura with the Hurst in it! Sometimes I make shifting noises along with the requisite Waaaaa Ahaaaaaaa Ahaaaaaa!

:goof:

Edited by JThompson

I switched back to the stock one, after some use of the roller handle.

The roller handle definitely looks better, but I find it a lot easier to operate the stock one.

It gives me a more positive feedback while seating primers, and I can more easily transfer power to the press.

I have a 650 and use an alu roller handle.

When I first got the machine´, fatigue started occuring after about 300-400 rounds!With the ball handle I change my grip 4 times for every loaded round. So I got the roller handle af haven't looked back since. I just love it, I can easily load 1000 rounds without getting sore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried the same test as the OP. I switched to the ball after 10k rounds or so just to make sure I was not missing anything. After a few hundred rounds I went right back to the Aluminum roller. 550B

I tried the same test as the OP. I switched to the ball after 10k rounds or so just to make sure I was not missing anything. After a few hundred rounds I went right back to the Aluminum roller. 550B

I use the stick shift. I've left the nut loose on the bottom, so the handle is free to rotate without the ball rotating in my hand. Last night I realized the nut had fallen off my small primer one- no clue when, it didn't matter. The handle stays in without it. The roller handle looks like it would give me tendonitis...

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased my second RL550B after being out of reloading for 16 years. I used the ball handle on my original and now I'm using the aluminum roller handle - and I love it. I'm reloading standing up so maybe that makes a difference?

Ball handle only for me! My buddy has the roller handle, and I see no advantage nor comfort increase using it.

I only drive manual transmissions, too. Go figure!

I went to the roller handle (aluminium) shortly after it came out in the 90's. Haven't looked back.

• 1 month later...

I have reloaded five or six times on someone elses 650 with the roller handle. I just got a 550 for myself and kept the cost down and only purchased what was required to load. So, I am using the ball on the 550 and it does not seem to make a difference to me. I have to remove my hand so often to add brass, bullet and index. I think I like the ball for the price. I also kept the bolt at the bottom loose and it is more comfortable that way.

• 1 month later...