Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slugs for 3 gun

I have been using the fiocchi reduced recoil. I haven't ever tried shooting them for bench rest type accuracy but off hand shots are easy to keep in the -0 ring on an IDPA target at 100 yards. I am only using a hi visibility front fiber optic sight as well.

Edited by jtischauser

I need to buy some slugs for the season. I've been shooting Remington reduced recoil slugs in my FN SLP and getting so-so accuracy. Any suggestions for reasonably priced slugs?

Have you tried different chokes. In my Benelli M1 I started getting improved groups with Remington Managed Recoil 1 oz. Sluggers (RL12RS) when I went to either a Modified or Light Modified choke. YMMV.

Curtis

Remington Reduced Recoil slugs do not shoot straight from my 1100. Federal Truball Low Recoil (LEB127LRS) are not as low recoil as Remington, but at least they shoot straight. Also, the hulls are blue so it is easier not to confuse them in mixed stages. My birdshot hulls are green, slugs are blue, and buck are red. Oh, the spreaders are purple but those are rarely used.

Lee

My gun likes the fiochhi 7/8s oz slugs the best. I have a benelli but it has a lightened bolt. As you can see by the posts above there are several good choices but your going to have to try them as there isn't one slug that does "Best" in all guns.

I've been using the Rem. reduced recoil and Tru Ball pretty much interchangeably. The Fed might be a hair more accurate. I've never seen what I would call more than acceptable accuracy with ANY slug, though, short of a rifled barrel and sabot loads.

I tried the Wolf slugs one year. They seemed to work well until my gun quit functioning on one stage. After a couple rounds of birdshot it cleared up. I think the gas ports had gotten plugged up by lead.

I don't mean to nit-pick, but I believe the German factory is owned by Lapua.

Lapua / Schönebeck

Lapua GmbH is located in Schönebeck, 130 km southwest of Berlin in Germany.

Lapua GmbH was until 2004 called SK Jagd- und Sportmunitions GmbH.

The Company celebrated its 175th anniversary in 2004, and is thus the Nammo facility with the longest history. Today, the site is owned by Nammo Lapua and specializes in the manufacturing of rimfire and shotgun cartridges. Almost 60 people work at Lapua GmbH in Schönebeck.

I don't mean to nit-pick, but I believe the German factory is owned by Lapua.

Lapua / Schönebeck

Lapua GmbH is located in Schönebeck, 130 km southwest of Berlin in Germany.

Lapua GmbH was until 2004 called SK Jagd- und Sportmunitions GmbH.

The Company celebrated its 175th anniversary in 2004, and is thus the Nammo facility with the longest history. Today, the site is owned by Nammo Lapua and specializes in the manufacturing of rimfire and shotgun cartridges. Almost 60 people work at Lapua GmbH in Schönebeck.

Snap KurtM! :sight::roflol:

Yeah and Colt was owned by Holley industries for a while, but it was still called Colt. Litton owned Schlumberger for quite a while, but it was still called Schlumberger, and H&K was orriginally called Orbendorfers....whats in a name?? Package says Shonenbeck....and where the heck do you find the "umlat" on the key board! :roflol::cheers:

Edited by kurtm

Hate to say it but Wolf slugs have worked great for me.

They are not a full reduced recoil that will choke in many guns, but they are more like mid range.

Same results for me. Very good accuracy and reasonible recoil.

Thanks,

Hoover

• 2 years later...

Be careful of Fiocchi 1 oz slugs instead of the 7/8 oz slugs because they may not fit in your shell caddies made for 2 3/4" shells. I ran into a fellow shooter at a match that his shotgun shells wouldn't fit in a standard shell caddy.