Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you compete with what you carry?

DoubleDelta

I went to a local IDPA match with the gun I intend to carry-an M&P 40 compact in an IWB holster. I went with the intention of using it as training and nothing more. I ended up placing 4th over all. I was also suprised by how many shooters were using guns that I would not consider to be a great choice for a CCW, based on size. I have noticed this trend also watching matches on tv.

There were around 25 shooters and I noticed 5 G34-35s, a couple of full size 1911s and a mized bag of fullsize M&PS, XDs and Glocks, all most all in OWB holsters. Now keep in mind I am a tall, skinny little git so I find concealing a fullsize pistol to be a bit of a challenge. Do you all carry a fullsize gun and compete with it also? Do you use a more competition friendly holster? Is your rig something differnt alltogether? Or do you carry a G19 and compete with a G34(for example)? Or do you live in a juristiction where you are lucky to be trusted with steak knives, much less carry a gun?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I compete in both USPSA and IDPA with game guns and carry guns depending on my mood. I'm more likely to use a real carry holster in IDPA --- but that's because I mostly shoot Production in USPSA, and if I need six mag pouches, I might as well strap on the whole rig.....

While IDPA is great for becoming familiar with your chosen handgun, it is also a game. I used my carry gun in the beginning but switched to a competition only gun to better my chances at winning the game. Besides a small number, I would say that the majority of shooters use different guns for competition and carry, at least that's the way it is at my club.

I carry an M&P 9 compact and shoot most matches with an M&P 9 Pro. I do shoot the compact from my carry gear at a few local matches a year, and in most of the defensive training classes I take.

It has always been my habit to compete with my daily carry gun and carry holster. Even in USPSA, aside from a brief flirtation with a Safariland race rig, that's always what I've done. I have also always been more willing that most folks to carry a full-sized gun, and dress with concealment in mind. Though I've carried a Glock 17 for the past year, for four years before that it was a Glock 34, and for four years before that a full-sized 1911 .45. Just about all I've used for concealed carry for about the past 12 years has been an OWB Blade-Tech Standard Belt Holster.

Short answer: yes, I compete with the same gun and holster I carry every day.

Kudos to Duane. I'm in IDPA/USPSA mostly for the competition so I use the equipment that best suits me- G34, black adj sights, decent trigger and kydex OWB holster. On the other hand this thread has me thinking it might be fun for a change to try what I carry... either a stock 19 or 27 with an IWB holster. Hmmm... it might be fun.

I carry a Glock 26 in a pocket holster. I usually shoot a Glock 17 in ESP and the same gun in USPSA Limited.

The pocket holster is not legal for competition so when I do shoot the Glock 26 in competition, it goes in the same holster the G17 would be in, a Serpa, Comptac paddle, or (for USPSA) a Ready Tactical DOH on a CR Speed belt.

I use G17 mags as reloads when I carry, so it's the same for competition. The manual of arms for the G26 is the same as the G17, it's just not quite as fast.

Plus when there's a BUG match, it's like I'm shooting a racegun. :)

When it is reasonable to carry my IDPA gun I do, It is a para 16-40. I feel most confident with it.

Many times the weather and or outfit I wear makes this difficult, then I carry an aluminum Kimber pro carry II.

In the hot summer month when doing lots of activities I carry a sig238 (colt mustang clone)

I try to stick to 1911 style for carry no matter what so the controls and feeling is the same as what I compete with.

I also have the same Ed Brown thumb safety on all my 1911's to kelp keep the feel the same.

Hope this is helpfull :cheers:

I was also suprised by how many shooters were using guns that I would not consider to be a great choice for a CCW

If there were only one "right" choice there would be a lot less pistols on the market. I don't carry my "game guns" but I do carry STI's and big glocks (not downloaded) and full size 1911's.

I think IDPA missed the boat with ESP/SSP/CDP. For a sport supposedly designed around carry guns and defensive pistol seems odd no carry guns are competitive. Thats pretty much why you dont see them at matches. Some people go for trigger time on a carry gun but most people that play a game want to win or at least perform as best they can so they use a gun that wont hold them back. I think IDPA would be much closer to its principles if it scrapped SSP/ESP and CDP in favor of:

Fullsize/ basic current ESP rules,

COmpact 1 inch shorter left to right box and a lighter weight, and

Subcompact, 1 inch shorter left to right and 1" shorter up and down and lighter weight.

With divisions like this we would see more actual carry guns because some of them would be competitive.

In a word,yes;a H&K USP45 Expert.My CCW license lists 3 of the handguns I carry;I have used all of them in IDPA.I'm not interested in winning;just doing the best I can with what I got. I work in security carrying 10-13 hours a day 5 days a week IWB with my H&K USP45 Expert wearing a suit and tie.

I use my carry pistol. I dont use an IWB holster for a match, thats how I mostly concealed carry. That being the case I use the holster that I would use for OWB carry.

Shoot a G35 in SSP and carry a G19. I also shoot a 9mm 1911 in ESP and a full size Kimber in CDP and sometimes carry my Nighthawk T3. Similar guns but not the same. I also usually carry IWB but compete with Comp-Tac straight drop OWB holsters. I do however use my carry guns for low light matches because of the night sights. Plus, every now and then I'll just run the carry gun and holster just for the fun of it, more so at practice but every now and then a match.

I think IDPA missed the boat with ESP/SSP/CDP. For a sport supposedly designed around carry guns and defensive pistol seems odd no carry guns are competitive. Thats pretty much why you dont see them at matches. Some people go for trigger time on a carry gun but most people that play a game want to win or at least perform as best they can so they use a gun that wont hold them back. I think IDPA would be much closer to its principles if it scrapped SSP/ESP and CDP in favor of:

Fullsize/ basic current ESP rules,

COmpact 1 inch shorter left to right box and a lighter weight, and

Subcompact, 1 inch shorter left to right and 1" shorter up and down and lighter weight.

With divisions like this we would see more actual carry guns because some of them would be competitive.

That is an interesting concept, one I don't see ever happening, but very interesting.

I have carried every gun I have shot in IDPA once or twice but living in hot ole Houston I carry something that I can conceal easily wearing shorts and a t-shirt so my IDPA stuff is not my standard carry gear. I shoot with a guy every week that runs a G19 out of a Minotaur IWB and does pretty well with it.

Within reason it is not about the arrow and quiver but the indian. As long as the shooter is proficient (not uber quick) but can make his/her hits they can do well.

I didnt invent it, Have to give credit to D.R. Middlebrooke, he created them for a sport he was trying to start up at one time. But I think it would really fit with IDPA, We basically have 3 identical full size pistol divisions, yeh a few bells and wistles change but nothing that seems to have an effect on actual scores. Wasnt nationals won by 3 striker fired guns ? That basically could have all been SSP legal without effecting the scores ? As far as Power factor, go buy some Winchester White box 115 ammo, shoot it in a 5 inch 4 inch and 3 inch gun and there are your three power factors.