Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ for removing gun belt with gun in holster

Skydiver

Let's say I have go to use the restroom. Can I be DQ'd if I remove my gun belt with the gun still in the holster while not in a safety area? Or if I have a paddle holster, can I be DQ'd if I remove the paddle holster and gun as a unit while not at a safety area?

The common answer I hear is "yes", and when I ask by which rule the response is that it is 10.5.1.

As I read 10.5.1:

10.5.1 Handling a firearm at any time except when in a designated safety area or when under the supervision of, and in response to a direct command issued by, a Range Officer.

In the Corrections to USPSA Handgun Competition Rules of January 2008 it says:

Handling (as in “handling a firearm”) The act of manipulating, holding or gripping a firearm while the trigger is functionally accessible.

Since a legal holster prevents access to the trigger and I'm only dealing with my entire gun belt or paddle holster and not manipulating the gun, I don't see how 10.5.1 applies. Even if people argue that at some point I may have to touch the gun while removing the belt or holster, the trigger is still not accessible.

Another response I can think of is "yes", but rule cited is 10.5 in general for unsafe gun handling, instead of the more specific 10.5.1. This is since 10.5 is not an exclusive list, but simply a list of examples. In this case, I refer back to the definition of "handling", and again it looks like I'm not "handling" the firearm by the definition of "handling".

I'm straining hard here to make the answer be "yes", but it looks more and more like the answer is "no". Can anybody with a lot more RO training/experience guide me into the correct way of thinking here?

Anyway, to avoid the issue entirely, I always go to the safety area first to case my gun if ever I need to take my belt off.

Take a look at Rule 5.2.1

It specifies the only methods you are allowed to use to carry the handgun. The key words being "attached to a belt on their person". Removing the belt from your person, or removing the holster from that belt would violate that rule and subject you to a 10.5.1 DQ.

:cheers:

Short answer, yes you will be DQ'd. I believe rule 10.5.1 will be the rule applied.

There are plenty of safety areas that are put there for your use. Think safety first.

Hope this helped.

Edit to add:

Email this to Amidon, he's always looking for new material to use in Front Sight.

Edited by Caspian_45

Thanks, George, for the reminder. Now that I think about it, this came up during our discussions for my CRO. Sorry to have to admit I had forgotten the specific behind the rationale.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

So as I read this thread, the correct citation is DQ for 5.2.1 - "holster must be securely attached to a belt on their person" in conjunction with 10.5.1 "handling a weapon without RO supervision".

The definition for "handling" has nothing to do with the issue even though the DQ is for "handling a weapon without RO supervision".

Is that correct?

What if you have to go.....like right now...?

Who's the RO with Porta Pot duty? :ph34r:

To be within the rules you need to drop the gun in the safe area first. Frankly, at some of the large matches with a lot of non shooters around, this doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy, esp if the available safe area is some distance away, which does happen.

Edited by JThompson

Unless we're talkin about some bad mexican food running thru you from the night before its a non issue, haha. too much coffee inthe morning shouldnt need the belt to be taken off :)

Go in the pisser, take off your belt, piss, put it back on. Being doing this for 20 yrs.

What kind of belt do you wear that you have to take off to pee? :surprise:

Now if you're going in there to read a long article in Frontsight Magazine, that's another story.

All that said, I don't ever remember a RO going into the portajohn (or out in the woods at some ranges) with me. I'm going to take the RO class next month, but if that's one of the duties, I'm outta here!

Go in the pisser, take off your belt, piss, put it back on. Being doing this for 20 yrs.

Yep, and maybe get DQ'd like the guy at DTC a year or two ago :lol:

Didn't that guy drop it in the honey bucket?

I thought he was racking and dryfiring.

What if you never touched the gun? You just undo the belt and hold on to the belt to let your pants down?

Yep, and maybe get DQ'd like the guy at DTC a year or two ago :lol:

Didn't that guy drop it in the honey bucket?

I think that was a different event....and that would just be a dropped gun, no DQ if he didn't pick it up :surprise:

A friend of mine actually found the gun in the porta potty and called for an RO. When the shooter came to claim it....DQ. R,

This issue would be of particular interest to lady shooters.

It absolutely is. I'm not telling what I do, but in the end, it's one of the few times I wish I were a man. :angry:

Edited by kimmie