Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 627 / 625

buckaroo45

I'm shooting a 627 in steel plate and a 625 in USPSA. I use Titegroup and Clays powder. When cleaning them after a match, I have difficulty removing the dark "smudge" left by the powder(s). Hoppe's gets a lot but not all. Any suggestions on how to do the job better? For those not familiar with these models, per the topic description, they are stainless.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Don't shoot fast, unless you also shoot good." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Get a lead free cloth, I think the last one I got was from Birchwood Casey. This is a cloth with some sort of chemical on it that will get rid of all the carbon/lead/etc from a stainless revo. I can make the front of my 625 look like it has never been fired it cleans so good. I cut a small piece and use it until it gets cacked with the carbon etc. I have been shooting revos for 20+ years and it is the only thing I use on my stainless revos. I understand it will take buleing off so I don't use it on my blued guns.

I also use a patch of it on a bore mop in a drill to get rid of the junk in the cylinders that gets stuck on the sides of the chamber because of the pressure. This stuff works great and I woudln't clean a stainless revo without it.

Neal in AZ

Are Revos supposed to be Shiney? :unsure: As long as it is still running I don't very often try to wipe mine down. But if I do I use MPro 7. And another I found from some of the matches is Slip 2000 725 gun cleaner that I have received in some of my shooter packets. Seems to work also. But don't gauge how it works by the looks of my revo as I have not cleaned it in about 30 matches. Maybe 6 months worth and I may clean it before the Southern Regionals..but doubt it. :rolleyes: later rdd

Thanks for all the good suggestions. Seems like not cleaning for 30 matches would make the gun look parkerized. I was always taught to be fussy about guns. Probably due to the quality of finish on some guns back then - 50 years ago. The family shotgun was from Sears. Besides, I enjoy just messing about with them. Big boy toys to be sure.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My plan for this stage is "shoot till I hit something". :D

I clean off the residue on the outside of the cylinder and the frame with Hoppes#9 but do not get worried about the carbon etc. buildup onthe front of the cylinder. I also use Hoppes#9 on the chambers.

I keep the chambers clean. The rest of the gun, not so much.

It's my opinion that more damage can be done by overzealous cleaning than just letting the gun thrive in it's natuarl state of funkiness. B)

I don't think it's necessary to clean a working revolver until it's all nice and silvery everywhere, but I always start any big match with a clean revolver. They don't need cleaned internally very often, and I very rarely take the sideplates off any of my personal competition guns, but it's smart to keep the external stuff fairly clean, particularly the chambers, cylinder face and forcing cone area, under the extractor, and the other obvious spots where the gunk builds up.

I don't think it's necessary to clean a working revolver until it's all nice and silvery everywhere, but I always start any big match with a clean revolver. They don't need cleaned internally very often, and I very rarely take the sideplates off any of my personal competition guns, but it's smart to keep the external stuff fairly clean, particularly the chambers, cylinder face and forcing cone area, under the extractor, and the other obvious spots where the gunk builds up.

What he said.

Plus, on the occasion I feel having a shiny stainless revolver, I use Nevr-Dull. (That's how it's spelled).

It's available at hardware stores and hardware departments of bigger stores. It's cheap and one can will last quite a while.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, I tried most of them. Best of the bunch for my need was Neil in Arizona's silicone cloth. A little elbow grease and it looks fine. I just don't like the look of a dirty gun. :sick:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I have the Power thing down, it's the Speed and Accuracy that give me problems"

Cleaning after a match lets you look things over and discover things that have loosened up. With loads burning clean and no leading they don't need a lot. If you have grains of unburned powder or lead fowling you need to do more. Work on loads and eliminate those problems

I give stainless or blue revolvers a spray of Balistol and let it sit. As long as overnight sometimes. It melts fowling off. Finish with a old toothbrush on the cylinder & wipe the bore and cylinder with a worn bronze brush wrapped in a patch. Then dry the outside with a paper shop towel. .

Every so often will blow tight spots with the air hose

Boats

JB bore paste for mine when it gets cleaned :0

Definitely use JB bore paste on front of stainless cylinder to remove rings...

I like to use a cotton swab, get JB on it and clean the surface.

Leave front of cylinder perfect!

I follow the Jerry Miculek philosophy, clean it when down range performance is affected(?). For the bore, I use a brass brush with Hoppe's and then a bore snake. For the external, 0000 steel wool dipped in Hoppe's. Makes them shiny and look like new, with no visable signs of wear. Works for me, you may want to try something else.

PAT

It took some time and effort to get my guns shooting reliably and accurately. In that process I spent some time standing in a stage with a malfunction of some sort. Now that I can run a stage without all the drama I prefer not to wait till downrange performance is affected. I suspect Jerry doesn't subscribe to shoot it till it dies either. Run your equipment how you like but you don't get Jerry's level of performance starting with dirty equipment.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I have the Power thing down, it's the Speed and Accuracy that give me problems"

• 1 month later...

I am soaking a blued cylinder/crane in MPro7 right now. It has been in it for a couple of days. I am trying to get that carbon, lead, whatever it is out of the flutes in the cylinder. I won't use just anything with the blued revolver. For stainless, there are many more options as you don't have to worry about the finish. I usually shoot mine until they start looking really bad. Even then, most times, they are still running fine. The dirtier they are, the tougher they are to clean.

The more suggestions or ideas, the better. I have tried many things to clean a cylinder, but if there is time, I think letting the cylinder soak a day or three is much easier. I like shooting lead bullets, but in a revolver, it seems that everything gets really dirty, the frame, forcing cone, well, everything.

Edited by 21 shooter

You do know that Dremel makes brass brushes, right? That's what I use. ;)

H.

I have used barkeepers friend with sucess when i actually do it lol. You can find it by the cleaning supplies at wally world, make a paste and get to scrubbing with a soft patch.

I have used barkeepers friend with sucess when i actually do it lol. You can find it by the cleaning supplies at wally world, make a paste and get to scrubbing with a soft patch.

I like the barkeeper's friend also but it will take a bead blasted surface to a glossier level. It kinda makes my guns look like I shoot em a lot.