Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wow, sounds like a cluster. Sorry to hear it, especially for guys who spent thousands out of pocket for this. I wish IPSC would just hold the World Shoot in countries that have laws that allow things like, ammo, guns, etc. I know it sucks for others to always have to travel out of country to shoot it, but otherwise, this is what happens.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely sounds like the typical South American way of doing things at customs. You can sit in your car forever (personal knowledge) with all the correct paperwork and then be waved through after the passing of $$$ to "smooth" the way. A way of doing business that is accepted and expected. :wacko:

The family business used to import container loads of stuff through SA and having the right "broker" is the most critical thing. Gotta know where to apply the "slide glide."

That is why I stopped hunting whitetails in Old Mexico...after the bridge and that crap, about 7km into the interior there was always a roadblock that had a 17 yr old mexican kid with an Uzi wanting to "check" your papers...he could kill you as not for a few pesos....not worth the aggrivation or worry...

Registered today. Still no sign of the ammo.. last word is it´s still stuck in Miami waiting for some sort of permission from Ecuador.

Got to practice a bit today (trying to save as much ammo as possible) with the local boys, eat some wierd but really good banana seafood mush and can hopefully put up some more pix later.

Hey,

It's just the way things are in international activities. I had some guys working test in South Africa on a project we were working with a company in the Czech Republic. I needed to ship some equipment to the guys but the US State Department said, I could not 'export' to South Africa even if it was to my own guys. I flat out asked the State clone: "Can I send the stuff to the Czech Republic and have them ship it?. He said "No Problem". You just never know. Throw in a little old-style corruption, and yup, you have a cluster on your hands.

Hope all work out for all the shooters down there.

Later,

Chuck

Manny, you kill me. There's Manny, arm around this South American with a MP5 who would probably do anything for money and Manny's smiling like he's on Miami Beach.

Hope you guys are having fun down there and your ammo issue is resolved Manny.

Hello this is Ivan's wife. His phone does not work in Ecuador. I spoke with Martin Tuason today and he said that ammo from the Armscor plant in the Phillipines is suppose to be there tomorrow. The ammo from the states is still in Miami-apparently the company shipping it cancelled the flight. It might be flown out tomorrow. So that is what is going on. And I certainly don't blame Ivan if he IS visiting the liquor store across the street! I would be!

Tamie Walcott

Re: ammo in your luggage. The TSA and FAA don't care how much it is, as long as it is for personal use. The International Civil Aviation Organization suggests/recommends/restricts (it depends on how you read it) that no more than five kilos, eleven pounds.

If someone read the regs, you're busted. I was. In the U.S., you might argue it, but if the airline holds firm, you're busted.

So basically, everyone who got their ammo here (I'm right now in the Grand Hotel) did so in violation of ICAO regs. We really have to do something about this before 2008.

I spent my time before my rescheduled flight calling Guayaquil and arranging ammo. I hope.

Survived the seafood-banana mush fine (chunks of fish, mush of banana and such). Got another set of pictures uploaded and am working on uploading pictures of the stage diagrams as photographed from the match book (if the match organizers object, expect them to disappear). Many of them are only vaguely related to the actual stages.

For everybody that wants pictures of people instead of things, the opening ceremonies are today and there should be plenty of folks in all their colors to shoot. At least I have ammo for the camera.

Latest rumor has the Phillipines Armscor factory ammo in-country and freeing up from customs today or tomorrow. The Armscore guys have put up a lot of $ and time trying to get this here, so we sure hope it does.

Ran into Eric and Ong in the lobby.. they had the advantage of arriving late and thus brought some rather heavy bags. Ong promised to lend me a few rounds if I needed it, so I'm documenting that here and now. :)

They have excellent coffee & breakfast (free!) in the restaurant at the Sheraton

I think I'm supposed to be shooting at 7am tomorrow. Hope I can figure out the bus schedule.

Well, I'm here, my gun is here, and I have 200 rounds to start with. I've got another 150 on the way to the room, and a promise of more at the range.

So, after all the work and preparation, I'm reduced to depending on:

1) The primers in strange ammo going off all the time

2) The bullets hitting to the sights

3) The bullets forming at least the semblance of a group on arrival.

At least I'll be able to hand-seat primers, and check moonclips for proper fit before getting on the range each day.

The hotel has no shuttle schedule, nor maps for those who wish to try driving. The WSXIV web page is of no help.

This is no way to be deciding "king of the hill" every three years.

I've seen kindergarden cookie breaks that were more organized and had less sturm und drang involved.

Well, I'm here, my gun is here, and I have 200 rounds to start with. I've got another 150 on the way to the room, and a promise of more at the range.

So, after all the work and preparation, I'm reduced to depending on:

1) The primers in strange ammo going off all the time

2) The bullets hitting to the sights

3) The bullets forming at least the semblance of a group on arrival.

At least I'll be able to hand-seat primers, and check moonclips for proper fit before getting on the range each day.

The hotel has no shuttle schedule, nor maps for those who wish to try driving. The WSXIV web page is of no help.

This is no way to be deciding "king of the hill" every three years.

I've seen kindergarden cookie breaks that were more organized and had less sturm und drang involved.

This sounds more like an episode of "the amazing race" than a world class event.

Note to self, don't go shooting in any third-world countries.......

World shoots in the Philippines and Brazil were superbly organised. I think the problem is with the organisers and not the location.

Shuttle buses have to be provided at World Shoots and they should take the shooters from the hotel to the match and back again. Schedules should be listed, or supplied with the shooter information packet.

I was wishing I had gone to the match but I'm now glad that I did not. The cost of these matches is huge and to go all that way and be stressed out about ammo, schedules and all the other problems is not good.

Patrick, et. al.,

Is there anything that we can do here to help? I'm dead serious here.

Wire Xfering bribe money?

Hostile phone calls to the shipping company?

FedExing ammo? Stronger mainsprings?

I feel sick about this and really feel bad for you guys. I've been through this too many times trying to get stuff to Mexico on a schedule, but at least that was always on the company's dime. If there's something I/we can do to help lower the frustration level and put the WS back on the fun track, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Hopefully the match can be extended a bit if the ammo finally shows.

eric@ericwesselman.com

P.S.

It most definitely sounds like the right palms were not greased prior to the match. That's not being cynical, that is simply the way things work in Latin America, and that should have been taken into consideration.

How can you possibly bring your mental "A" game with SH*T like that to deal with!!

Good luck to you all......!!!!

Pat, i'd like to know how Ricardo ( Ecuadors revo God ) is doing so keep me informed.

.... Dan