Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunset at FL35.. somewhere off Houston

post-1846-1124463306_thumb.jpg

Got in last night at 2am.. Minor chaos at the airport but not too bad.

#1 topic of conversation at the hotel in Guyaquil.. "Where the #$%@ is my ammo?", said in a dozen languages.

Internet's not free @ the Sheraton, so my WSXIV coverage may be spotty..

sounds like a lot of stressed out shooters...that's a real bummer-can't believe the hassles getting ammo there.

also, noticed the world shoot web site does not show the stage diagrams. i recall cebu had a beautiful web site with all the stages shown.

Hi everyone,

Just an update for those interested...

No ammo for those who shipped it through Armscor. Those who brought ammo with them are in much better shape. They did ask us at registration check in if we had ammo to shoot for the first couple of days and that gave me the impression that the staff may be assisting those who did not have ammo... but I am not sure.

Stages look like fun and pretty straight forward. There are a significant number of no shoots and far targets along with dark blue, red and yellow steel. Needless to say, it won't be a hose fest. :) There are very large tents on every stage along with stools for shooters and ice water available for $.50 a bottle. They also have a sight in area at the range for those wishing to check their zero before the match.

I do have my computer here and internet so I will try to give updates as I can. :)

So far the only bad news I have heard for the US contingent is the ammo situation but it seems most brought enough ammo for their first few days.

All the best,

julie

Thanks for the updates; Hopefully we get plenty of news from the match. I am sure they will find a solution to the ammo problem. It may just be a case of handing over some money to someone/somwhere who can grease the wheels so to speak.

Good luck at the match, bring home the trophy :D

I've started putting some pictures on the USPSA-photos site... It'll take them a few more hours to finish uploading but there are some of the stages and surroundings. I forgot to take my belt when we went to the range to check it out, so we get to go back tomorrow for equipment check and final registration.

http://www.uspsa-photos.org/gallery/WSXIV

If I set the permissions right, other people can add photos there too. Pull down the 'Admin Options' and click 'add photos'

Latest word had Ivan scrambling around trying to get some US ammo that made it to the airport in Ecuador not shipped back out again for customs problems.. with luck it stays here.

Oh yeah, almost all the no-shoots are metal no-shoots. Some are even forward-falling metal no-shoots, so you hit 'em once and they're out of the way (which could come in very handy on some of the stages.. those poppers are in tight).

I guess that means IPSC is OK with paper-shaped steel penalty targets.

No sign of any metric targets anywhere I went.

The coolest stage I saw (I didn't see all of them) was the mine stage-- two side-by-side berms connected by a tunnel and a raft of movers and tracks for same on either side. Pictures 46,47,51,50 on the http://www.uspsa-photos.org/gallery/WSXIV page is a sequence left-to-right shots of this stage. The tunnel is just visible in 47 and 51

Ivan isn't answering his phone.. Don hopes this is because he's at the airport freeing 3000 lbs of ammo from the clutches of Ecuadorian customs. My theory involves booze and lots of it. The huge grocery store across the street sells hard liquor.

Pictures are finally done uploading for today. Somehow I managed to get out the door to the WS with no image editing tools at all beyond MS-Paint, so straight-from-the-camera is what you get.

Plan is to try and do some video too once we get to make some noise.

I arrived Friday @ 1am and found out my clothes and guns did not make the same flight :blink::blink: . Then I find out that pool here at the Hilton is down for repairs. I've been told that my bag will arrive tomorrow @ noon. Add the ammo issue in and i get the biggest case of stress I've had to deal with in a very long time :wacko: . I really hope my bag shows up tomorrow, other wise I might just cut my loses and go home, after I sell the 300 rounds I took on the plane with me ;)

sounds like a lot of stressed out shooters...that's a real bummer-can't believe the hassles getting ammo there.

also, noticed the world shoot web site does not show the stage diagrams.  i recall cebu had a beautiful web site with all the stages shown.

They did until the IPSC Executive requested that stage diagrams not be posted for reasons of political correctness, at which point the diagrams were removed from the official WS/Cebu website.

Me, I'm still on the way. I got stopped cold by TSA and AmericanAirlines in Detroit, no moree the eleven pounds of ammo, period, no discussion, end of story. So I'll be buying it there (I spent Firday making arrangments) and hoping all the primers go off.

We simply must find a solution to the ammo weight and shipping problem. As I read the international regs, every single person whoarrived with all their ammo did so in violation of ICAO regs.

It's amazing, sometimes the airline checks the weight of the ammo you are carrying, other times they don't. Only once has an airline ever inquired about my ammo, and that was only to ask how it was packed. They never did ask to see it.

As I read the TSA regs, they don't care how much ammo (weight wise) that you bring, only that it is propertly packaged. But, as I've found out, TSA doesn't know, or follow, most of their own regs most of the time anyway, much like the airlines when it comes to firearms and ammo.

-David

Ammo Update - As of this time, the ammo isn't here. Now they are looking at it arriving tomorrow. In either case, it will take at least 2 days to get it through customs, etc. , unless some serious bucks are paid-ouot under the table. To give you an idea how bad it is - the President of a certain Ecuadorean pistol club was buying ammo from an associate today. Not a good sign. Also, I found out that the squadding has not been arranged - rumor is that they haven't done this as a contigency to allow those who have ammo to shoot first in hopes that other ammo arrives later in the week and those competitors can shoot then. Hmmmmm????

I am headed to the range now and will update later.