Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 which generation 2 buy?

scgun

You talking about 34's or 35's?  I am assuming 34 since there is no Gen 5 35 yet that I know of.  I think Gen 3 or 5 will have better triggers.  The Gen 5 guns promise more accuracy and a better trigger I think.  I shot a local 3 gun match Saturday with a Team Glock shooter and she was shooting a Gen 3 34 but she is getting a Gen 5.  If cost is a consideration a Gen 3 used will be cheapest (at least in the states).  I do have a Gen 4 G20 but I am not a huge fanboy of the Gen 4's preferring the Gen 3 over the 4's for various reasons.  I have a lot of Gen 2 guns and like those a lot as well so I am happy about the absence of finger grooves on the Gen 5 though they can be removed on the other generations.  You will probably get a lot of opinions but just get one and run it, your tastes will develop from there.  If your just getting into it there is a lot more aftermarket stuff for the Gen 3's I believe.

Yes, I would still shoot a gen 3 because I think the extended mag release is easier to get to over the wider gen4/5. The beaver tail grip is nice on newer generation guns. I do like the removed finger grooves and beveled mag opening on gen 5 frame. 

So far I think the Gen 5 has some really good upgrades over the previous generations.

The trigger on my Gen 5 is better out of the box than my Gen 4 with a 4.5lb striker spring and reduced power plunger spring.  Both have minus connectors.

I like the beveled magwell, too.

A little update to my previous post.  We acquired a Gen 5 34 last week and it is impressive in the trigger and accuracy department.  It's actually my wife's but I want one pretty bad now.

I would go with gen 5 unless a gen 3 fits your hand perfectly, I see no reason to consider a gen 4.  I tried a gen 4 a few years back and didnt care for the trigger compared to my gen 3. I have stuck with the gen 3 because i liked the trigger but the grip has always been a little large for me where i couldnt easily reach the mag and slide release but i got use to it.

I bought the gen 5 17 when it first came out and i recently bought the gen 5 34 (new CO gun).  I now prefer the gen 5 because it as a trigger similiar to my gen 3 (i put a 4.5 # striker spring in it and the rest is factory),  it fits my hand better (reaching mag and slide release), is slightly more accurate, and the factory magwell is a nice bonus.  I did add some material to the factory mag release due to the recent rule changes and it makes it even easier to hit.

I tried g17 gen5 last week.

very sweet and it fits my small hands

trigger quiet the same.

but I didn't buy it cause no real new benefits for the prize if you already have one

I consider tuning my gen3 :P

Extended mag release on the gen 3 is SO much better. For me that is reason enough to prefer it for competition. Using a gen 4 right now due to having a MOS model and being able to put my preferred red dot on it but I've gone through 3-4 different extended mag releases and still haven't found one that compaires.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On 3/11/2018 at 12:28 PM, Tyrsman said:

Love my Gen3, but want to try a Gen5 for comparison. 

Same goes for me.  Gen 3 over the Gen 4 all day long, but I'm curious about the Gen 5.  Haven't played with one yet.

7 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

Extended mag release on the gen 3 is SO much better. For me that is reason enough to prefer it for competition. Using a gen 4 right now due to having a MOS model and being able to put my preferred red dot on it but I've gone through 3-4 different extended mag releases and still haven't found one that compaires.

Agreed, that is why i modified my own to fit my needs.  I took the factory one and roughed up the surface with sandpaper, then drilled anchor holes into the face of it, then made a mold with tape on the edges, and then filled up the mold with JB weld plastic bonder.  After it dried, i dremeled the excess putty back down to match the same height in the rear as my gen 3 factory extended mag release and then profiled it to almost flush in the front part of the release.   

Agreed, that is why i modified my own to fit my needs.  I took the factory one and roughed up the surface with sandpaper, then drilled anchor holes into the face of it, then made a mold with tape on the edges, and then filled up the mold with JB weld plastic bonder.  After it dried, i dremeled the excess putty back down to match the same height in the rear as my gen 3 factory extended mag release and then profiled it to almost flush in the front part of the release.   
That sounds awesome but I wish I could just find a extended mag release that is good enough without busting out the epoxy. The best I've found so far is the Hyve Technologies.

So imagine if they just updated the frame on the Gen 3 to remove finger grooves, add the gen 4/5 grip texture. Just outside changes to give the Gen3 a refresh but not enough for a new model. Similar to the Vickers and RTF but go the extra and make it competitive, well I guess if they did that they wouldn't need to sell any gen 4 or 5's....

So imagine if they just updated the frame on the Gen 3 to remove finger grooves, add the gen 4/5 grip texture. Just outside changes to give the Gen3 a refresh but not enough for a new model. Similar to the Vickers and RTF but go the extra and make it competitive, well I guess if they did that they wouldn't need to sell any gen 4 or 5's....
Ya. Unfortunately we just need to bust out the Dremel and buy a few hundred in extra parts. Or buy a Sig X5. Either way the cost is about the same after it's all set up for me.

On 3/18/2018 at 2:08 PM, Explosiveo said:

That's lame. There are a lot still out there I'm sure.

Agreed. Gen 3 is the only model approved by the California DOJ for sale in the state. Glock will retain the Gen 3 as long as California remains repressive. Unless of course Glock wants to cut off the largest state from its pool for sales.