Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is 3n38 to gassy for a trubor.

magpulled

I've got a Cameron's open gun with a trubor barrel with no popple holes. Someone told me recently that  3n38 is a little gassy for my gun. It seems OK to me with not very much dot movement but I am new to open. What's y'all's opinion on this subject

1 hour ago, magpulled said:

Haha. 

Would you say win AC is comparable to 38. I'm getting tired of paying 40 per lb. I've got a lb of hs6 to try as well. 

AC is a lot faster than 3n38.

If you want something much more comparable that's less expensive, try AA#7.  

I have a custom in that I build with trubor barrel for Cerakote, pistol is shot with 3N38 and Fiocchi bullets (pf180?) and the comp is clean, no lead or powder residue build up.

guns shoot flat (3, 5mm popple holes), the owner has a SVI IMM in .38 super and prefers the 5" trubor with holes. (flatter, not as loud and violent as the SVI)

I have a .38 super almost finished with a stock trubor barrel and a STI long wide (edge) frame, gun is also verry flat shooting with the 3N38 loads

gr T

7 hours ago, magpulled said:

I'm shooting 38 sc with a 124 pd jhp. I've only shot a couple k with an open gun but so far so good. I'd like to shoot a powder that's not as costly but will perform close to 3n38

Yeah so would I... there is NONE. 3n38 cost so much because it's so good. The best is usually not cheap. I am not putting anything else in my open guns.

17 hours ago, 3gunDQ said:

Too much gas? For a comp? Bullshit. 

Not bullshit.  It is possible to generate too much gas for a comp, especially if there are no poppels.  If you are jetting a lot of gas out the front because you do not have enough baffles or ports in your comp to exhaust most of the gas, you have too much gas.  That produces a harder hit to your hand and a more violent slide action.  A Brazos magazine article (on his site) shows how to test.

That being said, if your overall goal is the flattest shooting gun possible, you may want more gas than your comp can 'handle'.   I tried that once and did achieve a dead flat gun.  However, @ 188PF the noise was astoundingly loud, recoil was harsh, and the action was so violent I feared for the longevity of the gun. 

IMO, a combination of poppels and a comp is the best way to 'use' more gas and improve 'flatness'.  My two Open guns are basically identical except the backup does not have the two 3/16" poppels.   Very little gas goes out the front on the poppel gun, and the dot doesn't leave the glass.  Fired in my backup gun, muzzle rise is a lot higher.  If I were gong to keep it, I'd have two poppels added to match the main gun.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Not bullshit.  It is possible to generate too much gas for a comp, especially if there are no poppels.  If you are jetting a lot of gas out the front because you do not have enough baffles or ports in your comp to exhaust most of the gas, you have too much gas.  That produces a harder hit to your hand and a more violent slide action.  A Brazos magazine article (on his site) shows how to test.

That being said, if your overall goal is the flattest shooting gun possible, you may want more gas than your comp can 'handle'.   I tried that once and did achieve a dead flat gun.  However, @ 188PF the noise was astoundingly loud, recoil was harsh, and the action was so violent I feared for the longevity of the gun. 

IMO, a combination of poppels and a comp is the best way to 'use' more gas and improve 'flatness'.  My two Open guns are basically identical except the backup does not have the two 3/16" poppels.   Very little gas goes out the front on the poppel gun, and the dot doesn't leave the glass.  Fired in my backup gun, muzzle rise is a lot higher.  If I were gong to keep it, I'd have two poppels added to match the main gun.

Only "too much gas" story I ever heard was 9X25 Dillon. Too much charge and the gun actually nose dives I guess.

5 hours ago, Sarge said:

Only "too much gas" story I ever heard was 9X25 Dillon. Too much charge and the gun actually nose dives I guess.

Yeah I've heard that story too, but I'm not sure I believe it.  I've been tempted to build one just to see, but always came to my senses.  I think that's like the "dot never leaves the glass" trope; I have the best powder available, dozens of high end guns, a powerful grip, a slow motion camera, and the best I've ever done was more than double the max displacement before the dot leaves the glass.  I'll believe "I never see the dot leave the glass", but I've only seen one video of an Open gun which came close to keeping it in the glass.

yeah, just chrono'd my trubore

9.2 gr 3n38

124 gr rocky mountain reloading  mpr jhp- mpr is their new- multi purpose round

6 shots 1389fps ave-172pf

was using n105 but i like the way the dot moves(less violent) with this load, your mileage may vary

Edited by jnkill