Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which bullet

Hello,

I am thinking of shooting jacketed bullets out of my pcc and was wondering what weight and manufacture bullets would be best.

I hear precision delta are good as well as Montana gold, any thoughts.

Do most recommend hollow points or fmj.

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by TimHawkins

I prefer jacketed bullets in all my guns.  I'm currently running Hornady 124 gr FMJ which are sold in bulk.  This is loaded over 3.5 gr Titegroup and has been a very good load.  The FMJ does leave lead residue in the comp and I'm going to switch to HP because of that.  Many PCC are shooting 147 gr HP and believe is shoots a little softer and I'll try that.   As far as brand, I've used Montana Gold,  Zero, and Hornady with good results.  I like Sierra as a rifle match bullet but shoot Hornady 55 FMJ the most in my .223

Hello: The trick with a PCC is to find the bullet profile your gun likes just like pistols. You may have to play with overall lengths and what your barrel will take for the plunk test. I am using coated bullets and also jacketed. All have been very accurate out to 50 yards or so off hand. Thanks, Eric

What competitions do you plan to shoot?  USPSA (usually under 50 yards) or 3GN (targets out to 100 yards).  Also what barrel are you running and has it been throat reamed?

Some barrels require bullets loaded short to pass the "plunk" test.  The shape of the bullet will decide how long they can be loaded.  

I have PPCs  with PSA and Spinta barrels.  Neither have been opened uo and need bullets loaded short.  

For USPSA, I use 147 gr Xtreme plated RN at 1,085".  Accuracy is sufficient for USPSA.

The Montana Gold 124 gr JHP need to be loaded under 1.050".  These were recommended for longer shots but so far the accuracy is not there.

Bill

4 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: The trick with a PCC is to find the bullet profile your gun likes just like pistols. You may have to play with overall lengths and what your barrel will take for the plunk test. I am using coated bullets and also jacketed. All have been very accurate out to 50 yards or so off hand. Thanks, Eric

If I remember correctly, except for his JP and Wilson barrels (both allow long bullets)  Eric has throat reamed all of his PCC barrels.  A good option if you can swing it.  It opens you up to a lot more options.

Thanks for the replies.

Guess I should have elaborated a little on what I will be shooting.

I will shoot uspsa matches and won't be shooting over 50 yards.

I have a jp13 with a long throat that I have been shooting 124 grain bayou at 1.170, the same load as my limited pistol.

I was thinking that jacketed might be a little cleaner in the barrel and comp.

I see a lot of shooters using 147 gr. and was considering hollow points for the accuracy.

Thanks,

Tim

Jacketed all the way.  I shoot the cheapest 115g that I can find.  In my gun 115g is 100% reliable.  The 147g is softer but only 95% reliable.

I don't think the extra expense of hollow points is necessary for PCC distances. I easily get 2" groups with cheap 115g factory loads and a 6 MOA red dot sight at 25 yards.

Hello: Your JP will be dirty no matter what bullet you shoot, it is just how the blowbacks are. As for buildup in the comp, yes a jacketed bullet will stop most of that. I would shoot a JHP so you don't have any exposed lead on the base of the bullet or a complete metal jacket bullet. I would try the Montana Gold 124's and the Precision Delta as well JHP's. See what profile your JP likes the best. If you want to shoot 147's you will have to lighten up the buffer setup if you are shooting 130-140PF loads to make it 100%. Thanks, Eric

8 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Think I remember seeing that you were shooting ACME coated bullets in your PCC's before... how is the comp build up after lots of rounds down range with these?

I've settled on the ACME 124's for my PCC and really like the colored bullets to easily distinguish from my 9 Major pistol rounds (MG-JHP's).

Accuracy out of my GMR-15 is around 1.5" @ 50, so it's in the ballpark. 

I'm not AirCooled6racer, but have over 2K of Bayou coated 135's through my PCC with a Miculek style comp from McDonald Precision... using WSF for propellant., the comp does build up lead, but appears to self clean, as the buildup doesn't seem to grow past a certain amount...

Hello: I am using 147 grain Acme bullets and have shot a couple thousand of them now. There is buildup of lead and the coating in my comp. I just use a punch and knock out the lead after 500 or so rounds. My comp only has two side ports so it is an easy cleanup. I am going to try some lighter bullets today and see how they do. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0970.JPG

Hello: I am using 147 grain Acme bullets and have shot a couple thousand of them now. There is buildup of lead and the coating in my comp. I just use a punch and knock out the lead after 500 or so rounds. My comp only has two side ports so it is an easy cleanup. I am going to try some lighter bullets today and see how they do. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0970.thumb.JPG.e1f3e4b43830df87bab99efe07cf6df3.JPG

I'm now using an anti-splatter welding spray on my comps and it helps immensely with my Miculek style comps. Start out with a clean comp (this is important) then spray on and shoot. Lead comes off easy with just a fingernail if I keep it sprayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, 1911luvr said:

I'm now using an anti-splatter welding spray on my comps and it helps immensely with my Miculek style comps. Start out with a clean comp (this is important) then spray on and shoot. Lead comes off easy with just a fingernail if I keep it sprayed.

Any particular brand recommended?  You use it for coated bullets only?

How about this one?

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B000P1HKH0/ref=ask_ql_qlh_hza

I use 124 grain MG CMJ's.  My PSA loves the ogive and they have a coated base just as a JHP does.  It does not like the truncated cone shape of the MG JHP's.  I haven't tried the Zero JHP's with the smooth ogive but I suspect those too would work 100%

I'm ready to buy more bullets, and thought about trying a lighter bullet. I bought a box of 115 Hornadys to try the weight without buying in bulk yet. After gleaning some threads for a starting load with Prima V, which I have 20 pounds of the old lot, I started at 3.5gr. 10 shot average gave me 1163 fps, 133 pf. 1.140" oal, and so soft. 

Edited by OPENB
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, TGibe said:

I'm currently using 124G CMJ RN from Montana Gold, but considering their 115g CMJ RN.

What are the advantages of lighter (or heavier) projectiles for PCC?

Hello: It is mostly the recoil impulse from the different weight bullets. If you are going to shoot long range 100-200 yards I would use the 124 grain JHP's. For short USPSA pistol match distances I would try heavy and light bullets to see what you like best. Use a timer to see which ones you get quick splits and can still be on target. I would start at 7 yards and go out to 20 yards when doing this testing. Thanks, Eric

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:41 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Your JP will be dirty no matter what bullet you shoot, it is just how the blowbacks are. As for buildup in the comp, yes a jacketed bullet will stop most of that. I would shoot a JHP so you don't have any exposed lead on the base of the bullet or a complete metal jacket bullet. I would try the Montana Gold 124's and the Precision Delta as well JHP's. See what profile your JP likes the best. If you want to shoot 147's you will have to lighten up the buffer setup if you are shooting 130-140PF loads to make it 100%. Thanks, Eric

I use Frog Lube in my PCC comp just like in my Super Race Gun Comp, I clean it till it shines, then melt the lube a little with hand torch, then leave to dry, most of it blows out on the first shot , but it seems to impregnate the surface and makes it very easy to clean the carbon later.....when I let it go and it gets caked, I use a 50-50 mix of peroxide and white vinegar. Turns the carbon to mush in 10 mins then I just dip the Qtips in the mixture and clean out the carbon till it shines again...just don't leave the comp in the mixture more than 15 mins at a time or the metal can discolor, especially Titanium...