Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me pick a dual-purpose nightstand/range pistol

I've had this desire to build a pistol based around the philosophy of using it as a nightstand home-defense gun and for fun at the range, and even some competition if I ever find the time. Me being the indecisive type, I've gone back and forth on what pistol to use as the base for this project. I think I've finally narrowed it down to three choices though, and I want to get opinions on what people think would be the best choice.

My original requirements for the platform I select were;

- SAO with ambidextrous thumb safeties (I'm a lefty)

- Frame-mounted optic when finished (I don't want a slide-mounted optic) - This is the one thing I wasn't willing to negotiate on. Nothing says "race-gun" to me like a frame-mounted optic

- Not compact - The pistol won't be carried or concealed, so size isn't really a considerable issue

These are the three options I'm stuck on;

1. EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Elite Limited in 9mm

Pros;

- Already designed as a competition-oriented pistol

- Pre drilled and tapped for an optic mount (wouldn't need to take it to a gunsmith)

Cons;

- Not as well supported commercially as a 1911/2011 platform

- Not as many experienced gunsmith options

2. STI Steelmaster

Pros;

- Extremely competition-oriented, ready to go with all the features I'd want out of the box

- Race-gun everything while still being able to use factory ammo (I don't reload)

- Familiarity of 1911 platform

Cons;

- PRICE

- Maybe a little too competition-oriented to work as a defensive pistol?

3. Armscor/RIA Pro Match Ultra 6" HC in 10mm

Pros;

- Full-length pic rail would allow for use of a mounted light/laser, helpful for defensive use (and redundancy to the optic)

- Chambered in a powerful enough cartridge that, if I wanted, could be used for hunting in addition to range fun/defense

- Familiarity of 1911 platform

Cons;

- Perhaps a little too powerful of a cartridge to enjoy shooting for extended periods of time?

- Would need gunsmithing for frame-mounted optic

---

So...Help?!

I love the 10mm cartridge. But if you aren't a reloader, you'll find that real 10mm ammunition (not FBI Lite) is either really expensive or unavailable. One of the nice things about a double-stack 1911 in 10mm is you can get a separate 40 S&W barrel for it, use the same magazines, and now you have relatively inexpensive ammunition.

I like the idea of the steel master.. But I would probably get a more fighting appropriate optic. Cmores seem to be pretty well suited for competition but if a serious role for this gun will be defense, get something that can be relied on. Maybe find a mount for a RMR or even go off the path a little more and get a mount for an MRO or Aimpoints H1/T1. Gun will still be a good to go race gun bit with an optic that can be counted on to work when it matters most. I've seen a lot of cmore issues on the line and the battery life is not good at best, but that's not important for strictly gaming. Trijicon or aimpoints will be able to stay constant on for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by shooterDrew

I shoot a limited pro now. It sounds like you are looking for a "Frankengun". Check out the Walther Q5 Match. It's designed for the shooting sports and can carry a red dot sight out of the box.

I haven't seen one yet, but it sounds like it should be added to your list to look at.

Robport, I'm wanting to stick to metal-frame pistols. I like the additional weight.

Drew, I was thinking already that I'd switch out the C-More for a more combat-oriented optic. I had been thinking about the Deltapoint Pro, but now that you mention it an Aimpoint sounds like a fairly good option as well!

Sounds like everyone's more or less in agreement against the 10mm though, so I'll count the Rock Island Big Rock out.

I am leaning more and more towards the Steelmaster, with a more combat-oriented optic...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

CZ Shadow 2 with SAO conversion.  

Best option IMO, whichever range gun you prefer and a striker fired pistol in the caliber of your choice for the nightstand.  Something to be said for keeping a quality combat style pistol as the home defense firearm.  Less to think about operationally when the adrenaline begins to pump during a home invasion.