Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to start a kid shooting?

Nebwake

What is the collective think (generally) an appropriate age is to start a kid shooting with air rifles or .22? What about .22 pistols? I think I started around 6 with airguns and probably about 7 or 8 with shotguns, but have friends that started much earlier. So what do you all think? or when did you start your kids shooting?

Not sure if this fits in the beginner section or not. Perhaps a mod, can think of a better spot....

My kids have been shooting since 5 or 6. They are still not mature enough yet for uspsa at 9 &10, but they shoot quite well under close supervision. They know safe gun handling, but it takes maturity to retain that under the pressure of a timer and spectators. BTW, to make it fun, you really need balloons, reactive targets or steel targets.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

A generic answer to a generic question...

I'd think about 8. that is when the have enough strength to handle

most firearms

the interest they show and at what age would modify that.

some training and how to handle the weapons in a safe way is a good idea

from a VERY young age.

miranda

A generic answer to a generic question...

I'd think about 8. that is when the have enough strength to handle

most firearms

the interest they show and at what age would modify that.

some training and how to handle the weapons in a safe way is a good idea

from a VERY young age.

miranda

I agree with miranda. The 2014 Lawman Winner at Bianchi, Travis Hayton, started shooting NRA Action Pistol at age 9 with a .22. He's now in his early 20's and a Deputy Sheriff, and he "studied" under the Overall 2014 Winner at the Cup, Kevin Angstadt. Must be something in this VA water that brings out the shooter in kids!

Ultimately, it's up to the parent knowing the maturity level of the kid involved. I started my grandkids out at 6, but since they have no real interest in it anymore, they got over the initial excitement and gave up shooting except for the youngest who's now 9. So we'll see where that goes.

It's never too young to teach them the safety aspects, even if they don't want to compete later. Go with the "instant gratification" stuff and low noise/recoil. Buy a box of cookies or crackers, set them up really close and let them have at it. Bio-degradable so there's no cleanup after they're done for the day,

Just one old guys opinion......... :eatdrink:

It differs from one kid to the next. My oldest was unusually mature for his age and easily memorized the basic gun safety rules, so he got a bb gun at 5, Savage Rascal at 7 and we just finished his first "real rifle" (lightweight AR) in time for his 10th birthday. We don't have any competition plans but he shoots well and often. We actually just fished an hour of basement dry fire where he practiced positions, breathing, trigger control and continued reinforcing muzzle awareness and safety usage. I doubt many kids would show this much interest or dedication. Which brings me to the middle child. He just turned 6, loves pulling the trigger and hearing steel ring but has no patience for rule memorization and is just too scatter brained to hold a gun without me being within arms reach at all times. He's probably about average for a gun familiar kid his age. If he can get the basics of safety down he'll get a bb gun by Christmas. Then there's the 3 year old. He can easily pop a balloon at close range with a red dot and some parental help. Obviously no real gun handling or any chance to do anything dangerous.

My oldest turns 4 in april and i have taught him basic gun safety rules similar to NRA family gun safety course. I would like to have him start with my old red ryder in about a year or so.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

It really depends on the kid and no one knows your kid like you do. My son is pretty immature in many areas, but you put a gun in his hands and he transforms into another person. I say that if I could send him to school with a gun on his hip he would be a straight A student. He is 13 now and has been shooting USPSA for a little over a year. I started him on .22 pistol at an indoor range around 10. He has been walking with me while I hunt pheasant since around 3 and carried a cap gun shot gun for a couple of years before he started carrying a shotgun and shooting pheasants about 3 years ago. I trust him. He is safer than 90% of the adult shooters I see at the range or out hunting. Again, it all depends on your kid.

It very much depends on the child.

For several years I volunteered at our Skeet club. We taught new shooters frequently. Many dads brought kids who weren't physically strong enough to control the shotguns. That makes for a rough start for the kids. Lesson #1: Dry fire to build safe gun handling before trying live fire with kids.

Other kids (mostly boys in the 8-10 years range) weren't mature enough to pay attention to safety. Horseplay is common among energetic boys. Less so with girls, or at least those at our club. Lesson #2. Frequent breaks when training children. Think of it as a recess.

Like most things in life, age is irrelevant to competence. Test the basic skills to gauge interest and try to make things fun for kids. Checkers or shooting, the principle is the same: each person is ready when they are ready. They are interested or not. They have the physical coordination and maturity or they don't. The only way to find out is teach and test, a little at a time, and make things as fun as possible.

We started 1 girl at 8 in our club but her father r.o.d her. She had been shooting 4H .22 for a couple of years already & she was strong enough & big enough to handle a glock 34. She behaved very much like a grownup & to be honest schooled us all on the proper way to shoot steel. She is now 14 or so & still shooting. She is a model for behavior & attitude to anyone & her parents should be incredibly proud of her. She is not winning matches but she shoots very well. Her interest has grown to 3 gun & everytime she shoots, she gets a little better.

I do not recommend you start some kids in this until they are 30 or so......LOL. It all depends on the kid.

MLM

Edited by mlmiller1

My boy started out at the age of 4 picking brass and pasting targets until the age of 5 1/2. During that time, almost weekly at the range, he picked up all the range commands and observed good gun handling skills. At 5 1/2 he started with a .22 from low ready and by the time he was 6 1/2 he was shooting from a holster with a G19. He is now 16 and driving and kicking his old man's butt on the range.

All kids are different, many of his friends I wouldn't let shoot until they were 12 or older. Depends on the upbringing and technique at which you teach them.

In the end, only go as fast as the kid will allow. Safety is paramount!!!!!! Don't push the kids too fast as they may get frustrated and lose interest. Airsoft is a great way to get them started as well. Work all the bugs out at home and then slowly get them going on the range until they have the fundamentals down and can handle the pressure of shooting in front of other people on the range.

Also add the fact that he was not allowed to horse around on the range. He was instructed to act like an adult from the first time he was able to shoot. I had a zero tolerance policy regarding this and it worked. To this day his actions on the range are better than some adults, but and home, well that's a different story ;o)

My son's on an Scholastic Pistol team (now action shooting). Kids as young as 12 are on the team and do well. But the size of the gun has to match the kid. You can REALLY tell the kids that started shooting younger, but they all learn quick.

I'd highly recommend getting kids involved in an SPP team.

My son's on an Scholastic Pistol team (now action shooting). Kids as young as 12 are on the team and do well. But the size of the gun has to match the kid. You can REALLY tell the kids that started shooting younger, but they all learn quick.

I'd highly recommend getting kids involved in an SPP team.

I havent heard of these. Closest thing I have seen around here is high school trap and I think even that has gone away.

my son is going on 7 weeks old. He's not been shooting yet (mostly screaming and pooping) but I plan on buying him his first gun soon.

I have taught a bunch of people how to shoot, not children, but I prefer to go over the rules a ton. then, suppressed 22 rifle with only one round in it. Then that same rifle with a full mag. then no suppressor on it... then suppressed 22 pistol, then unsuppressed, then regular 9mm.

I used to really laugh at the videos online of some yahoo giving his wife a desert eagle, but that really turns people off to it. and it makes for a fear of guns. If you help ease people into it, progress up as they improve, then they get to safely and happily play with the good toys. I plan on doing the same with my kiddo.

I'll teach safety starting as early as possible (maybe 3 or younger)

nerf guns or something after that

once they show muzzle control consistently a BB gun

then to the range for that progression. No idea the ages this will all happen, depends on how he does with everything.

my kids are 8 and 9. They have been on airguns for a couple years, but only lined up shooting at a bench sort of thing.

There is a local guy who's son can't be more than 7 or 8, he shot last season at several matches. He shoots limited and his gun handling is just as competent as any of the adults at the match, both negotiating course of fire and at safe tables, etc..

Its all down to the kid and how much time the parent has put into training him.

Edited by seanc

My son is 4 . He sits with me while I break guns down for cleaning and maintenance . He asks alot of questions and as we all know kids are sponges that absorb anything and everything . He now knows how to field strip a Glock , Sig , as well as a semi auto shotgun . I allowed him to shoot some rounds of .22 out of a Mark III with me holding the weapon and helping him along . He's great at it !! My thing with him is safety first and foremost . He does not ask to handle unless I allow it and he's well aware of the ramifications and consequences of what weapons can do to harm others .

I'm in South Alabama right now at my youngest daughters house. They have 4 children and love it when

PaPa comes to visit, because they all get to shoot, a lot. The two oldest are 11 and 10 and both have

been shooting 22 rifles for about a year. The two youngest are 8 and 6 and they are shooting BB guns.

All have been schooled on safety, etc and so far all still have a strong interest in shooting. Thinking about

letting the oldest, who will be 12 in May, shoot my Glock 35 Production gun when we return in October.

His parents are on board, but we'll have to see how he handles the gun, etc. They would like him to shoot

IPSC some day, but like others have posted I think thats a couple years away. Just having fun right now.