Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow Motion Comp Testing

kneelingatlas

9mm 10.0 grains of accurate #7 125 grain pill 8lbs recoil spring. 2 popple holes and a 2 chamber 4 port comp. gun shoots incredibly NOT flat. Hate this thing. Maybe try a new comp with more chambers? This little thing looks like a steel challenge comp. 

Edited by ShortBus

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9mm 10.0 grains of accurate #7 125 grain pill 8lbs recoil spring. 2 popple holes and a 2 chamber 4 port comp. gun shoots incredibly NOT flat. Hate this thing. Maybe try a new comp with more chambers? This little thing looks like a steel challenge comp. 

Looks like it shoots good to me Luke, as long as the dot comes back down into the same spot from the first shot, which it looks like it does.

I have some HS6 115 grain loads you can try if you like.

Gun looks like it is running better as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, ShortBus said:

How much does your slide weigh?  How much radius do you have on your firing pin stop?

18 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

How much does your slide weigh?  How much radius do you have on your firing pin stop?

~hair under 11 ounces stripped. A lot. 

I have a good grip as well, this gun just had a lot of recoil. 

i do have a heavy hammer spring. Idk the weight but it eats rifle primers for breakfast. 

Edited by ShortBus

I did some work on it and weighed the slide, it's 11.4 oz with FP, FP spring, FP stop and aftec. So about 10.9 or 10.8 bare.
FP stop has a good radius on it already, the mainspring is probably a 23lb but then his trigger is 1.75 oz so if he goes lower on the mainspring he may have some hammer follow issues.

41 minutes ago, ShortBus said:

~hair under 11 ounces stripped. A lot. 

I have a good grip as well, this gun just had a lot of recoil. 

i do have a heavy hammer spring. Idk the weight but it eats rifle primers for breakfast. 

The Cheely comp is not bad, but not the best.  A few things working against you: the slide could lose an ounce (mostly from the rear, the hammer spring could be lighter (try 18#), and you might find 115s to shoot flatter, I've never tried AA7, so I'm not sure you can make major with it under a 115, but you might if you load relatively short.

I agree with what KneeingAtlas mentioned.  Also, might want to have an old open dog shoot your gun with your ammo to get their input. 

It could be your grip or some spring/firing pin stop tweaking might help.    Lots of good shooters used the cheely comp, so a new comp won't help if there are other issues involved. 

Shooting an open gun isn't as easy as some make it look.  ;)

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Desmo412 said:

you can easily make major with #7 and 115s in 9mm. I use 10.5 under a 115 jhp at 1.165 and make a 175PF with a cheely comp and 2 small popple holes in a full size gun and it shoots quite flat

I'll try anything twice, but I'd be surprised if my gun made major at 10.5 grains with 115's. 

26 minutes ago, Bamboo said:

I agree with what KneeingAtlas mentioned.  Also, might want to have an old open dog shoot your gun with your ammo to get their input. 

It could be your grip or some spring/firing pin stop tweaking might help.    Lots of good shooters used the cheely comp, so a new comp won't help if there are other issues involved. 

Shooting an open gun isn't as easy as some make it look.  ;)

Good luck!

Im gonna play around with it somemore. Good to hear the comp is a decent one. 

Luke, I started with HS6 and haven't changed, just figured any minute difference wouldn't matter until I learned what I was doing.  Anyways, I was screwing around today and filmed this, first video is my HS6 load, second is WAC, it's the same Cheely comp you have.  I think I preferred the WAC load, but I have 8 lbs of HS6 to burn through so maybe in 6 months.

Edited by busdriver02

I've got some HS6. I tested HS6 accurate #7 and WAC. This was before the popple holes. I need to re test and re chrono asap as Alabama state is two weeks away! 

I missed a very awesome oppurtunity today with Mr. Postman testing loads :( 

I've got some HS6. I tested HS6 accurate #7 and WAC. This was before the popple holes. I need to re test and re chrono asap as Alabama state is two weeks away! 

I missed a very awesome oppurtunity today with Mr. Postman testing loads [emoji20] 

Yes you did, I tested the lower limit loads for barely making major in my Czechmate.
7.3 grains of HS6, 124 grain xtreme hpcb, cci spp @OAL 1.155. 164.774 pf average of 10 rounds
8.1 grains of HS6, 115 grain xtreme, hpcb, cci spp @OAL 1.155 164.448 pf

Also tested the DPM recoil reducer and it really made the dot more wiggly than anything. I will try it with the .40 upper and see if it makes a difference there.

Did a bunch of double taps, .19 to .16 split times and I was able to get a bunch of A zone groups at 15 yards with this gun.
Out of 70 rounds I had 56 Alphas, 10 Charlies, 2 Bravos and 2 Deltas.
I think I can do better with the Hogue wrap around grip verses the factory Czechmate grips. The factory grips are too slim and they allow the gun to drift sideways on the second shot, shouldn't have that problem with the wrap around :D

Anyone have any input on a Bedel Custom Max, Ti comp?

I had one on my recent Bedell build. Not a bad comp. I prefer the CFD comp as it has a predictable vertical dot movement and consistent dot return. The Bedell comp gave me the bouncing dot or "figure 8" but the dot would return decently. I think the Bedell comp would benefit with some side ports like the CFD. That would most likely eliminate the figure 8 dot movement. All and all it's not a bad comp and Max seems to win with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello: I tried both of the Bedell comps and liked the stainless steel one better. That little bit of extra weight of the stainless over the titanium shot flatter and faster for me. I did cut the last port off since it did nothing but add some weight. Thanks, Eric

On 2/25/2017 at 11:25 AM, ShortBus said:

Chronoed again yesterday. 185PF lol. I hastily made this load and didn't bother testing for temp sensitivity. Made the load when it was pretty cold, yesterday was fairly warm. Doing more testing with 115's and HS6 today. 

On March 1, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I tried both of the Bedell comps and liked the stainless steel one better. That little bit of extra weight of the stainless over the titanium shot flatter and faster for me. I did cut the last port off since it did nothing but add some weight. Thanks, Eric

How do you check the last port ?  The last LONG comp i checked to see if my last port was diverting enough gas to warrant it, i wrapped it with with electrical tape several times and shot a minor load and i cant find any tape larger an a 1/2 inch ripped strip. 

• 5 months later...
On 3/5/2017 at 2:05 PM, ShortBus said:

Chronoed again yesterday. 185PF lol. I hastily made this load and didn't bother testing for temp sensitivity. Made the load when it was pretty cold, yesterday was fairly warm. Doing more testing with 115's and HS6 today. 

Im not sure if its the video quality or if its actually the slide being lazy coming forward. Looks awful slow and almost stutter stopping when it strips of a round. Is your slide contacting the magazine, weak hand thumb riding the slide to hard, or is the spring weak/too light?  What lb recoil spring is in that?