Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Recoil

Higgins

I recently purchased an SP01 AccuShadow thinking a heavier gun would reduce felt recoil. I was surprised to discover it was more difficult for me to manage the recoil despite the increase in weight. I regret leaving my G17 in the trunk to try another platform when I was doing so well with what I had. I suppose this is a lesson learned the hard way.

Edited by Higgins

I switched from a Glock to CZ this year for USPSA production. I'm still shooting the Glock for 3gun.

Both guns have recoil, there's no way around that.

I feel more of the recoil with the CZ, but it tracks better and feels faster. It took some time to get comfortable with the different recoil impulse and timing.

With the Glock I notice less of the recoil and maybe a little more muzzle rise/flip. The polymer frame has a lot of flex and absorbs a lot of the felt recoil.

For me the main difference between the two is the CZ is easier to shoot long or tight shots with.

You practice and get used to a specific gun. Changing platform means more practice with that platform to get used to it. Different guns, different reactions, different feel.

I was thinking the change in the recoil impulse is disrupting my timing and my grip would adjust over time.

Doesn't make any sense (for the same load). The SP is not only allot heavier but it also has a lower bore axis (groove in frame, rail on slide). It has to be a grip issue.

Specifically, my left hand was not holding the gun as firm. On the last two stages I had to really grip it hard to keep my left hand from moving.

I really don't think a 9mm recoils enough to effect much of anything. I think the gun has less to do with that than some think. I think you can do more as the shooter than you can by switching guns.

I shoot a monthly falling steel match and I noticed a significant difference from the G17 to the SP01. It's enough for me to stay with the Glock. However, at my last match the top iron sight shooter was shooting an SP01. His times were where my times are usually when I shoot the Glock. Both guns will do the job.

I have several CZ's, Glock 34 Gen 4, and an M&P Pro 9mm. I started out shooting the Glock 34 in competition. I was able to reach Expert in SSP and ESP with that gun. I still have the Glock 34, but changed over to CZ's and haven't looked back. To me CZ's are much more accurate and easier to handle than the Glock 34. I also find the M&P Pro 9mm much easier to shoot and control that the Glock 34. Others may have a much different opinion than me.

I shoot a Glock 34 and wanted to try my friends CZ. It just did not feel as good to draw and transition. I just really like a lighter gun. I agree with the post about 9mm not having enough recoil to worry about.

Edited by GARD72977

I am on on the opposite side. I have shot a 75B for years (USPSA and 3Gun), and in the last couple of months purchased a Glock 34 Gen4. Granted, the 75B is not as heavy as the SP-01, however I noticed that the recoil is different. Not bad, just different. I would expect some of that to be just frames being polymer vs. steel.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot a G34 in Production for 2 years, and then went to a CZ SP-01 Shadow Target. Recoil is definitely easier on the CZ - make sure your CZ's recoil spring isn't too heavy and take a hard look at your grip - both hands. Lastly, while grip tape on my G34 worked well, the grip panels for my CZ are actual grip tape panels. That plus additional small bits of grip tape on the CZ make it very easy to control.

Just some food for thought since I've been experimenting with this myself.

When I starting shooting Open, I noticed that my bad form was the root of my issue. I had to change the way I gripped the gun and my grip pressure to fix it. When I went back to my 34, I used what I learned and it made a huge difference. For me, it took shooting hundreds of rounds into the berm while observing the sights to improve things. I'm still refining, but as with most things in this sport, it was me, not my gear, although it took me moving to another gun to notice it.

In that same vein, I'm experimenting with grip pressure and recoil management. Honestly, I don't care how much the gun recoils as long as it returns quickly to the exact place it started. Again for me, I have options, just trying to see which one(s) work best all around. I can get an amazing grip (one type), but trying to get that particular grip 99% of the time at speed from the draw doesn't work, so trying to balance that with one that is acceptable that I can nail every time is something I'm still perfecting.

Sorry to muddy the waters...

:)