Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chrono questions for new reloader

Hi all, just about to start reloading for the first time and looking to purchase a chrono. Looking through past threads it looks like the Pro Chrono Digital is one of the most popular ones so I'll probably go with that one, or are there any others I should consider? Anyone try the Caldwell one? I like how it comes with a cable to connect to your phone.

I don't always have access to my own bay to use the chrono so will likely need to use it on the main range some of the time where I can't keep going downrange to check the chrono. If I set it at 10-15 feet will I be able to easily read the Pro Chrono's display in bright sunlight? (This is why I like that cable feature on the Caldwell)

Also, I've been reading that the chrono might not work properly in direct sunlight and some were saying they only use theirs on cloudy days; well if that's the case here in the Valley of the Sun I wouldn't have many opportunities to use my chrono :). Just how much does direct sunlight affect the chrono?

Thanks

You can read it at 10/15 feet. Put a target on top the deflectors and it will work very well in bright sunlight. They are easy to use and usually the only problem people have is forgetting to replace the battery.

Id try the Caldwell one if I was starting over. I use the Pro Chrono with the USB and a tablet, but that was an extra $30 or $40, and it's a very handy thing to be able to email or note the results of a string when working up loads.

Caldwell is a unit of Battenfeld (owned by S&W) and they've been putting out a lot of good value priced stuff lately (Frankford wet tumbler, etc).

Hi all, just about to start reloading for the first time and looking to purchase a chrono. Looking through past threads it looks like the Pro Chrono Digital is one of the most popular ones so I'll probably go with that one, or are there any others I should consider? Anyone try the Caldwell one? I like how it comes with a cable to connect to your phone.

I don't always have access to my own bay to use the chrono so will likely need to use it on the main range some of the time where I can't keep going downrange to check the chrono. If I set it at 10-15 feet will I be able to easily read the Pro Chrono's display in bright sunlight? (This is why I like that cable feature on the Caldwell)

Also, I've been reading that the chrono might not work properly in direct sunlight and some were saying they only use theirs on cloudy days; well if that's the case here in the Valley of the Sun I wouldn't have many opportunities to use my chrono :). Just how much does direct sunlight affect the chrono?

Thanks

It is not so much "bright" sunlight, but the position of the sun. If you go late in the afternoon, I find I get erratic readings. When the sun is straight up or cloudy, your good.

The Pro Chrono Digital is very easy to read at 10 feet. It is very accurate when you have a good battery in it for sure. Mine always seems to be right in line with major match chrono. No surprises is a great thing!

Just about all chrono's (except magno and radar) have problems with a lot of direct light. They work off of catching the shadow at the entry and at the exit and then calculate. If it's too bright, it washes out. If it's too dark, it doesn't see anything. Slightly overcast days along with times in early morning or late afternoon work the best for me. I use a CED M2 right now but I've had 6 different chronos over the years and some work better than others. I like the M2 the best so far.

Forgot to add, the Caldwell is a nice little unit and the programmer who works on the app is very responsive and open to suggestions.

Edited by gng4life

Thanks all for the replies. That's good to hear I'll be able to easily read the Pro Chrono Digital's display without moving forward. Does the last shot stay on the screen until the next one is registered or does it just flash for a second or two and I'll need to quickly write it down before it disappears?

As long as I can read the display it should be easy to write down each shot and could create an Excel template to drop the data in that would calculate everything; although, that app for the Caldwell does also seem nice. It's pretty tempting to save $30 and try the Caldwell, but haven't seen enough reviews of it and seems like everyone loves the Pro Chrono Digital so that's probably the safe bet.

You don't need to write down the shots right away. It stores 9 strings of 99 shots which you can read back anytime, as well as High/low/average and deviation/Extreme spread.

Those 5 numbers are all you need really.

Have you considered a Chrony Master?

I just got one working last evening and the remote "brain" is pretty nice for a number of reasons. It stays with you and is connected to the sensors via a phone cord. That way you can control and see everything without walking back and forth. And when you shoot it, the "brain" won't get destroyed so economic repairs are possible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 on the Pro Chrono......just used mine yesterday for the first time....EXCELLENT unit....did everything it promised and more....I apparently need the Bluetooth attachment so I do not have to go to the unit and change strings. Someone else also suggested replacing the metal rods for the diffuser with wooden dowels as to prevent damage to the machine....anybody have experience with this??

I have used a number of different chronographs and find the Pro Chrono Digital from Competition Electronics to be a great value.

My first chrono was a Chrony and it was less than consistent - too any unregistered shots. My second one was an Oehler 35. As near to perfect as could be but such a PITA to set up and tear down. I picked up a Pro Chrono on sale at Midway and find that it is very easy to use and very rarely misses a shot.

I just used my Pro Chrono Digital again today to test a few loads. In the past it's worked fine in the sun, but today it wasn't working at all in direct sunlight, first two shots read in the 200s. Moved it into the shade and got good readings on every other shot.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a Caldwell to replace my Chrony F-1.

Honestly, I had a Chrony before and loved it but after I shot it :mellow: I got another (a F-1) and it has been trouble. I just got tired of adding 20fps to all my averages (to be safe at a match).

I have been shooting better these days and worrying less about murdering chronos anymore :closedeyes: so I just had to try something new.

Anyhow ... the App for the Caldwell does all the standard stats ... everything ... even tells you the power factor (if you put the bullet weight in) ... you can add/edit all kinds of information and it just does all kinds of stuff. I was afraid the App wouldn't work with my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.4 because I had been reading some crazy stuff about compatibility/connectivity issues with some Androids but it works just great on my tablet. They even provide a 15ft cable to plug into your tablet/ipad/phone whatever ... Don't even need to see the Caldwell with the tablet sitting on the table right in front of me!!

After I saved a few strings I downloaded them to my home PC to save/organize them (you can email them ... transfer bluetooth ... whatever ... change to txt you name it).

New technology is wonderful. (Got mine for $70 delivered ... cheaper than even a base Chrony). Check out the App features on the web.

I just used my Pro Chrono Digital again today to test a few loads. In the past it's worked fine in the sun, but today it wasn't working at all in direct sunlight, first two shots read in the 200s. Moved it into the shade and got good readings on every other shot.

Did you make a canopy for it? You can zip tie a no shoot over top of the screens. I use an old plastic sign with a little Velcro. Keeps the unit in permanent shade unless it's real early or late in the day. This technique keeps mine right in line with major match readings

The $70 Caldwell unit is very good, functional and easy to use. I have always had at least 2 chronos and got a Caldwell unit after I sold my PACT and Chrony. I still have a CED M2. All things considered, the Caldwell unit is, to me, the best value out there right now. The app had a few issues, but appears to be all fixed up now. If you are still looking, I would recomend it.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have the Pro Chrony from Competition Electronics.

I love this machine. I had a Crony and gave it to a friend. This is my second CE Chronograph. I keep loosing things in my garage and now have 2 of almost everything. :angry2:

My other CE don't have the wireless interface but it's very easy to read out to 15 ft. :sight:

• 1 month later...

Another new reloader here, I have not chrono'd any of my loads yet. I am looking to be in the 130-135 PF range because I shoot CCP in IDPA.

So far I have been loading to lower end of listed charges for my loads.

A few guys have offered to let me borrow their chrono but I really hate to borrow equipment that has a possibility of getting shot!

I thought chrono's usually were more expensive than the $70 range I see mentioned above. I may consider buying one since my wife was talking about getting me a $100 gift certificate for Christmas.

I have a few questions:

What brands does cabelas carry? I may be able to order one and have it shipped to store for free.

A lot of people have mentioned the phone apps, but I don't have a smart phone, would that change the recommendations based on not being able to download to phone? Can any of the models save the data to a USB thumb drive to transfer to a computer?

I seen to recall that using them inside under florescent lights can be an issue. since my club has both indoer and outdoor ranges which one would be best for use both indoors or outdoors?