Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

After shooting the Rockcastle match, I'm probably going to have some smoothing done around the loading port, in front of the trigger guard and possibly take the sides of the loading port down just a bit more to allow for quad loading. Going to talk it over with Pike at Mod 1 Firearms when I get a chance.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine in today. I installed a Nordic +7 tube, I cut 6" off of the full length spring and it runs fine. It holds 12 in the tube. The tube sticks out past the end of the 24" barrel and Turlock extended tube 5.5". The gun feels good in the hands and shot to POA for me rite out of the box. If the Beretta action holds up to 3 gun fun this will be a great 3 gun choice in my opinion.

Picked up the 1301 today. Initial impression is pretty good.

For those that already have one, have you done any additional work to the loading port? I load weakhand and it seems like the front of the port may need a little rounding (for me). I've only played with it for about 30 min, but was having a lot of shells nosedive/jam into the port instead of the mag. Seemed like they need a little more up angle to get in than on a benelli. Taking it to the range tomorrow to see how it shoots.

I have rounded out the front of the loading port because I came to the same conclusion. The square shape of the loading port at the magazine tube end is detrimental to the weak hand loading style (IMHO), and I also think with this style of loading, the lifter needs modification i.e. needs the end welding up and lengthening as it does grab the thumb (I'm not the only one this has happened to! :sick: ). Roberto Vezzoli, who developed the 1301 with Beretta, loads strong hand, and as such does not seem to have a problem with the lifter. maybe it's an angle thing :unsure:.

One other thing of note: This gun definitely needs some patterning with slug. The POA & POI are way off with the provided choke (IC), using S&B or Remington managed recoil. A shooting buddy of mine was hitting IPSC Classic targets high right when aiming dead centre, and that's not because he's a crap shot! We have recently had to shoot slug up to 50m, and they have been all over the place. However I do think a little time and effort put in will reap rewards :).

Keith

I think the slug thing varies from gun to gun across all mfgs. Kind of a crapshoot with which guns shoot will shoot them well out of the box. I do like that the rib tapers down near the chamber, perfect for cutting in a rear sight if needed.

I actually ordered a lifter from Brownells yesterday and had it sent straight to C-rums.

One thing I am a little worried about, if you cut the loading port down much, you get into the serial#. I may end up with a lopsided port.

Ordered one yesterday, +5 extension and choke tubes on the way. Working the FNH match and hope to have it ready to shoot there if I can run some rounds through it and find POI for slugs. My 930 turkey will become my backup. Just time to upgrade and improve reliability and longevity.

Edited by Nuke8401

The sides can be smoothed out and lowered a bit,

Lowering is really not needed, but rounding the front and breaking the sharp edges on the side is beneficial. You do need to be careful of the serial number, that's a fed issue. RNT is working on a method to fix Benelli and beretta slug issues, so don't go bending barrels just yet.

I don't understand why they cut the front of the port they way they did, it's cut backwards of how it should be. There's not much material to work with there, I'm guessing I'll end up getting into the mag tube a little bit. I'm a little reluctant as I have turned an M2 receiver into a paperweight by getting overzealous with the dremel. This will likely be a hand file job. I may just end up lowering the port on the drivers side as that's really the side I need lower to be able to rotate the shells in weak handed. I'm hoping someone else will take the plunge first and post pics.

i cleaned up some areas of the inside but other than that its all ready to go i used the stock spring and just installed the +5 nordic tube.. overall im very happy with it :)

Edited by ogiebb

If you used a dremel to do that work then you chose the wrong tool!! You need to go slow when working the load port/mag tube interface, a file, and sandpaper on your finger is all that is needed. I agree the angle is backwards there but you're just trying to ease the abruptness of it back and make the knife edge round so the shell bounces off and into the tube instead of catch and stop

you can go to redneck tactical on FB, click on the possumwerks album, there should be basic pics of loading port mods and how I do them, it may not be the 1301 but the work is still done the same way.

Trapr

Thanks Trapr, That's definitely helpful.

We had a shotgun side match after our pistol match today. I let everyone shoot my new Beretta 1301 in the side match and got nothing but positive response from everyone. We had 2 sets of 3 large USPSA poppers set up in front of 3 small USPSA poppers. The side match turned into a man event. Remington's, Benelli VS Beretta. In the end, everyone was able to beat there best time with their own shotgun with the Beretta. The Remington guys thought that the Beretta recoiled less than the Remington and there times reflected it as well. In addition, everyone used their own shells and there was all kinds and the Beretta functioned with everything that was put in it without a problem. I am very happy with my new shot gun so far.

Just read the directions for my new 1301 nordic mx ext. Says to start at 16", no minimum listed. Says spring lenght critcal to semi-auto function. My 930 worked for a couple of years at 9" and I tested it down to 4", no problems. I'll be starting at 10".

I just reserved one of these. The FFL though didn't have a final price. What did you all pay for it, and any idea how long I can expect to wait?

I'm tempted to search around and get one shipped here if it means not waiting, I am shooting my first 3 gun matches in a few weeks.