Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Brand of Primer for Pistol, Revolver, & Rifle

benos

Federal for tuned revolvers

Winchester for 1911/2011

CCI rifle because it takes a harder hit, no slam fires

Tried Fiocchi small pistol primer ran good through Dillon primer filler, shot well in STI Trojan with stock hammer and 15lb mainspring,

but require a little more seating pressure or you'll get a high primer.

• 3 months later...

I dont have any problems with federal primers, but I do avoid buying them beacause they come in a ridiculous huge box. It takes up a lot of room shipping and storing them when you've got 30k of them sitting around. I just avoid them for that not that they ever gave me any problems.

+1 here, the 1K box is litterally 3 times the size of a 1K CCI box.. Waste of space.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I like the Remington a lot. I have a lot of problems with CCI in my Square Deal - the primers get stuck in the primer tube of the press and also in the pickup tubes, this never happened with the Remington. Also, here the two are the ones I can find in the stores.

• 4 months later...

For my rifle match loads, nothing but Federal LR Match. Pistols and revolvers, is pretty much whatever is still available. If I have multiple choices, and I run a glock, I go with whatever is cheapest. I have not really messed with my springs though, so I do not have issues with light primer strikes.

Regarding everyone who likes Winchester SPP...............have you found that several per tray are out of round and then cause a jam on the primer disk feeding wheel on a 650?

It has caused problems for me in the past and now I have switched to Federal.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Federal for everything except hot loads.

I remember purchasing almost 50k Wolf/Tula primers during the great primer shortage. Powder Valley had a crazy deal for $20 per thousand with free shipping and hazmat. I miss those days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...