Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

Bought the CZ 712 last week, did a light cleaning, and found it wouldn't cycle on birdshot, or even 00 buckshot. The only thing that would work was some HD stuff that included a slug and was quite hot.

So......Tore it down completely, used 0000 steel wool on all the internals. Everything. (Didn't have any red Scoth-brite)

Put Slide-Guide in the receiver grooves for the bolt, used plenty of Ballistol in the recoil tube and piston area. Left it wet.

It now cycles on everything, even light birdshot! Went through about 100 rounds this morning, not one feed issue, and I am very, very pleased!!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dang! it's been AWHILE since I've visited the site and gee there's a mess of posts on the little ol' CZ! I apologize for the late replies on the emails fella's! seems like everyone has it handled though :) good luck fella's seems you've got it under control. Later,

Kirk

• 1 month later...

I pulled out my 2013 28inch tube 712 ALS for a three gun match two days go. The 712 ran like a champ. This was my girlfriend's first 3 gun match. She liked the shorter length of pull of the adjustable stock and didn't even notice the recoil during the match.

We shared the gun and fired about 120ish rounds total. 6 of those were full power slugs with the rest being Federal bulk pack traveling 1200 fps.

I have been shooting the stoeger m3000 for the last two seasons and forgot how nice the CZ was to shoot. The girlfriend didn't care for how the stoeger fit her and cast her eye the on the CZ. The rest is history, I may not be getting it back!

• 4 weeks later...

Did you have any issues with the bolt release/ round release after you did the loading port opening?

bgc

Just finished up mine. This is what I'll be running next year. At first it only ran federal bulk pack ammo and even the light 1145 fps stuff. Could not get it to cycle the winchester bulk pack ammo even if my life depended on it. But after several hours doing research here on BrianEnos.com and boomershooter.com, I finally got it to cycle any kind of ammo i can get my hands on. Havent tried any 940fps stuff yet. All it took was some polishing of the action and drilling out of the gasports another .015". I even did my own porting of the loading port.

attachicon.gif2014-12-01 20.29.55.jpg

I ran mine at FNH last week. I had the loading port opened up, and no issues related to that.

I had to put extra lube on after the stages (I forgot exactly how wet it likes to run) and out ran find after that.

Edited by Langenator

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a used one off Gun Broker because it was such a good deal. After shooting it I realized how it needs stout rounds and lots of lube. I swung by my LGS on the way home from the range and traded it at a $75 loss towards a Benelli.

I'm sure the 712 can work great if you're willing to put more effort towards maintainance, building it out, and only shooting optimal ammo. You save money but what is your time worth?

Edited by Frankly

I just finished up building one up for my son. Bought a utility and added an ALS stock so the LOP can grow with him. After running one box of heavy field loads thru it runs my low recoil reloads at 1025fps. Runs low recoil 7/8 oz slugs 100% as well. It needed minimal work to accomplish that. I have it 3 gun ready for $550.

Edited by bwikel

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

OK, and now to see if anyone else actually checks this thread: last match, on the third stage of the day, my -712 decided to start double firing. So I stopped using it and ran my Remmy 870 for the final stage.

Background: on the previous stage, the 712 was having ejection issues, which experience has told me usually indicates it needs to be lubed. (712s like to run wet, this we know.) While lubing, the bolt slipped, knocking the dripper tip out of the (Slipstream) lube bottle and dumping something like 1/3-1/2 the bottle into the action. I cleaned up the mess as best I could, but the next stage it decided to start double firing, (which ended the shotgun portion of the stage for me.)

So today I disassembled and wiped down the gun, and cleaned out the trigger assembly as best I could. Function checks seem to indicate that, if I fire it with live ammo, it's probably going to double again. If I pull and release the trigger, then cycle the bolt to reset the hammer with the trigger released, it does fine. But if I pull and hold the trigger, cycle the bolt, the hammer releases when I release the trigger.

I'm not sure if I need to completely break down the trigger assembly and try to clean it more, or just try replacing the hammer and sear. (If I can figure out how to order them.)

I had one of these do the same thing. It turns out the holes drilled for the trigger spring to sit in were not deep enough to hold the spring in place on the trigger housing. Took it apart, drilled the triggers housing hole about .050 deeper to retain the spring and all was well.

• 4 months later...

Well I drilled the ports to 1/8", lubed it up with synthetic 10/40W that was sitting on the bench, and ran two boxes of the 1187fps junk box ammo, weakest I had in hand that failed to cycle the action in the past.
Ran like a champ!!! This thing is actually fun to shoot! Recoil is pretty tame even with 12 and 1300 fps ammo. Had a blast shooting hulls ! Got to where on my last box of ammo, I think all but two of the hulls were blasted up onto the bluffs. Practiced my reloads and I think the receiver is cut enough, time to run it!!
Thanks for all the info in this thread. Now it's time to see how many rounds to failure of major parts!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

That forum was where i got the interest from. Originally had a benelli nova that i owned for a few weeks then it stayed in the safe. The cz was definitely a lot lighter.

Now how do i take this down so i could post it in that thread? Sorry, new guy over here

34 minutes ago, Jcgatus said:

That forum was where i got the interest from. Originally had a benelli nova that i owned for a few weeks then it stayed in the safe. The cz was definitely a lot lighter.

Now how do i take this down so i could post it in that thread? Sorry, new guy over here

My post was more for Jack's benefit. 😉 I can merge them if you wish. PM me if you want them to merge...

On 11/25/2018 at 12:30 AM, jswhitesell619 said:

The cz seems like a decent affordable option. Are they a gas gun? I am doing an affordable shotgun right now and decided to work off of the Franchi Affinity. Nicer fit and finish then a stoeger for real similar money. 

It is a gas gun