Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to the range, shot 18 rounds of 00 buck (low recoil 1200fps) and 10 rounds of slugs (low recoil 1200fps).

Bolt cycled perfectly, no failures of any sort. Disassembly and reassembly has been a breeze.

Obligational range photo. umepydub.jpg

Thanks for the feedback and review. We certainly appreciate it and encourage others to do the same.

May I ask how you changed the color of your bolt? The pic appears that it is a bronze color. I hate the chrome on this gun.

Its Duracoat. Its actually gold but the lousy lighting and cell phone pic makes it appear more bronze. I've painted the trigger as well. My new bolt handle is next. :-)

I'll post up some better pics in the next week or so.

Ran mine in a match this weekend. Once I remembered that the -712 prefers Exxon Valdez sized doses of lube, it ran great with both Rio Target 7.5 and Fiocchi slugs.

And since every stage started with the shottie cruiser ready and not in your hands, the bigger handle was definitely useful.

Got mine last week and installed it the night i got it and gotta say it was well worth the wait. Since installing it i have run 7.5 federal target loads, fiocchi slugs, generic 00 buck, as well as #4 duck loads through it and they all ran flawlessly. Had gloves on for the duck loads (granted they were light weight gloves) but the handle made a HUGE diference. Now on to the next mod :P

5ec59194-1490-4e09-9375-c29089925cda_zps0b485458-d25a-482d-b125-3a50818ebecb_zps

I would like to buy one of your bolt handles for the cz 712 if there are any left. Were do I send the money. Thanks Johnny.

You can send $45 via Paypal or money order. Just shoot me a PM which you would prefer and I will send you the information.

I got mine in last week and I got a chance to shoot with it in a match at it performed flawlessly. It looks great too.

On a side note, does anyone have a synthetic stock and/or handguard they would want to get rid of? I have the 26" version with a wood stock and would like to change it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I put another 150 rounds on the bolt handle yesterday during a match, so I have ~250 rounds on it total. Zero issues.

I had a couple failure to extract with some low recoil slug rounds, and the extended bolt handle was awesome for working through the issue on the clock.

I'm not affiliated with hlpressley in any way other than being a satisfied customer.

Just took the 712 out of the box and ran a few hundred shells through it. This gun is very light. Are the other 3 Gun shotties this light? Without the weight, I feel a bit beat up. I can say that I was having fun learning to load it and trying different methods. The gun sounds "springy" as it cycles, is this normal? I am still rather surprised at how light this thing is. Any of you do anything to mitigate recoil? What is the best load for the ranges at which we shoot? Which of the chokes in the box is the best to run? Thanks,

JZ

I'm curious if anyone has investigated lightening the trigger pull? To be clear, I am not looking for some super light glass break precision setup. However my current trigger pull is 9 (!) pounds. I was testing my friends 930spx and it is consistently 3.25 pounds. I would be okay with something in between these two extremes.

There is a spring in the trigger that pushes up and moves the trigger forward to reset. If you remove a coil or two it should lighten up the trigger pull a few pounds. Be careful not to over do it or your trigger will not reset properly. Just to add, to really do it right have a trigger job done. Any competent gunsmith can do it.

Jason :ph34r:

Edited by kfd147

I have a new 712 utility that does not like any ammo under 1300 fps. I email cz and they sent me a new recoil spring. the new spring is only 8" long the recoil spring in the gun is a little over 11 " . I email the cz gun smith a picture of the springs and he said the short spring is what the are putting in the 712 now. he did say it was ok to use the short spring but I have not tryed it yet. Do any of you that have 712 that were made in 2013 know how long the recoil springs are in your guns. Thanks Johnny

I have a new 712 utility that does not like any ammo under 1300 fps. I email cz and they sent me a new recoil spring. the new spring is only 8" long the recoil spring in the gun is a little over 11 " . I email the cz gun smith a picture of the springs and he said the short spring is what the are putting in the 712 now. he did say it was ok to use the short spring but I have not tryed it yet. Do any of you that have 712 that were made in 2013 know how long the recoil springs are in your guns. Thanks Johnny

Do you have a picture? My recoil spring on my 2013 712 is black, not sure on the length, I'm at the work at the moment. But from memory I believe it's closer to 8" than it is 11".