Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5early, I'm glad the experts over at Boomer got you all fixed up! No one knows more about shotguns than they do!!! I'm sure all of those guys have a great tutorial about your disassembly/assembly problem, but if they wont share, look up how to D.C.O.A. an M1/M2 Benelli, they are almost identical. I would also look at the schematics for an M1 trigger mechinisim over on Benelli it will help you determine what might be broke. Once again they are almost identical to the M1/M2 Benelli

Thanks Kurt,

That's good to know. It looks like it ready to fly into a million pieces with the first pin.

Keith

Ha. Atleast I am fast at something other then shooting. All in all I'm still happy with this shotgun. I need to order a new front sight.. Was running a tru glo but after last match I kept losing the FO pipes in the dump barrel. Prob goin to switch to the hi viz model.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the information.

Took my new CZ 712 out for 3G practice today. It cycled all the same low velocity rounds, 7.5 and Slugs, i run in my modded 930. Only thing is the now is that the CZ 712 is kicking a lot and now need to tune the recoil. Cant find recoil springs other that one for a M3, which is not really a recoil spring. Probably can use Benelli trigger assembly springs for M1/M2/ etc.

Any help would be appreciated. Thinking of calling CZ-USA tomorrow.

BGC

Reviewing all the posts and comparing to the CZ 712 ALS 26" i picked up, all the new designs for piston, action bar, Trigger, and the gas holes seems to be done. Again, it cycled Winchester Target loads 7.5 1145fps and Fiocchi Low recoil 1150FPS slugs. I have dissembled and started calculations on how to mod parts to reduced the perceived recoil to match what i have done to my Mossberg 930. I believe CZ is trying to make the 712 more reliable and i going to stick it out. Again only spent $475.00 Shipped to my FFL and $20.00 transfer.

\

BGC

• 2 months later...

I'm drinking with the guy who made the main spring tuning kits for the 712 tomorrow night (Coils by Kirk). If you want, I'll see if he has any tuning sets left. As for hammer and trigger, you are absolutely right about the M1/M2 parts fitting. The TTI springs work great!

Just finished up mine. This is what I'll be running next year. At first it only ran federal bulk pack ammo and even the light 1145 fps stuff. Could not get it to cycle the winchester bulk pack ammo even if my life depended on it. But after several hours doing research here on BrianEnos.com and boomershooter.com, I finally got it to cycle any kind of ammo i can get my hands on. Havent tried any 940fps stuff yet. All it took was some polishing of the action and drilling out of the gasports another .015". I even did my own porting of the loading port.

post-53521-0-53389100-1417487699_thumb.j

post-53521-0-49935000-1417487718_thumb.j

I haven't had any issues getting mine to run. As long as I keep it well lubed, it eats pretty much whatever I feed it. Runs Rio target like a champ.

I'm just looking to get the loading port opened up for faster reloads, and wanted something to show the 'smith. Thanks.

Just finished up mine. This is what I'll be running next year. At first it only ran federal bulk pack ammo and even the light 1145 fps stuff. Could not get it to cycle the winchester bulk pack ammo even if my life depended on it. But after several hours doing research here on BrianEnos.com and boomershooter.com, I finally got it to cycle any kind of ammo i can get my hands on. Havent tried any 940fps stuff yet. All it took was some polishing of the action and drilling out of the gasports another .015". I even did my own porting of the loading port.

attachicon.gif2014-12-01 20.29.55.jpg

Where did you find that bolt release tab??

Its a redneck tactical bolt release tab made for the benelli. I modified it to fit between the forearm retainer and receiver. Got it at makereadyproshop.com.

i ordered the speed button...its easy to drill and tap your existing one and screw the button on top of it.

• 4 weeks later...

As the first post of the new year 2015, for this long running thread, I have some additions id like to make... The following few posts will encompass my CZ 712 works in their entirety.

*These were originally written for Michigan Gun Owners Forum and the original threads can be found there. As a contribution to Brian Enos Forum, id like to share my ideas here as well.

Enjoy new content

*1. http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?315997-*PIC-WARNING*-lt-Review-gt-CZ-712-12-ga-Wood-Furniture-28-quot-3-quot-chamber-*PIC-WARNING*

During my time off from work I decided to invest in a project gun. I enjoy shooting clays, as well as hobbysmithing my firearms, so I became interested in another sporting clays gun. I needed a gun with solid "bones", but requires some special attention to tune and adjust. Part of my reasons for buying a gun requiring attention, comes from my enjoyment from gunsmithing. After some research and homework, I found these needs met by CZ's model 712 Semi-Automatic shotgun!
The 712 is a Czech designed, Turkish manufactured firearm... CONTINUED AT MY HOME FORUM (FOLLOW LINK ABOVE FOR FULL THREAD)
Edited by tyler79durdan

*2. http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?315854-!PIC-HEAVY!-CZ-712-Light-Strike-*SOLVED*-!PIC-HEAVY!

Plagued with a common issue, the CZ 712 is well known for light strike issues. A simple search engine query results in a considerable amount of references to firing pin protrusion issues. My 2013 CZ 712 (identified by the first two numbers in the serial, i.e. "13XXXXXX) is no exception and has light struck many of my reloads which tend to have a deeper primer seat. This is a major concern for me since I require each of my guns to perform equally as well.
Although there are many of these references, none have actually explained why or how this light strike occurs. Some have noted CZ gunsmiths referencing early, circa 2004 and older models, having Out Of Battery ignition due to a firing pin design flaw. I noted in my online research, that a recommendation of .050 to .060 should be fine but this was on a CZ double gun and is less than my factory protrusion length. Ill need more pin in my situation.
The original, dangerous firing pin is identified by its physical taper and silver/chromed color, while the newer version has a straight, non-tapered shape with a brown coating. If your CZ 712 has the old style firing pin, its advised that you call and schedule a send in for replacement. *If you have the newer style and are experiencing light strikes, you may need some "tuning" of your bolt body and locking lug.
Here is the fix including a description and pictures.
MUST GO TO ORIGINAL THREAD, SERVER PICTURE OVERLOAD/DENIAL...

*3. http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?314955-DIY-Benelli-Franchi-Quick-Bolt-Release-Another-Unusual-quot-tyler79durdan-quot-Project-PIC-WARNING

THIS IS A THREAD STARTED FOR MY FRANCHI AFFINITY...

post #4

Decided to do my CZ 712. The release lever is slightly different since it does not have the z shaped profile, but rather an L shape that goes through the forearm plate ring via a crudely ground slot(my bad). Ive realized that each application requires fitment.
On a side note... Ive begun to get better at my tempering skills. I tried a few different temperatures and quenches and was able to get back all, if not more, of the original spring in the steel. Started out soft and malleable, and wound up with a strong spring great for this type of application. Although the images show a purple tint, it actually went dark blue before final quench in warm oil and returned to the prior purple color.
9E3F15E0-2C2D-403B-A4A0-483626011FB9.jpg
103D477E-E966-4418-818B-B8644DB96993.jpg
EB60CCD1-D4A3-4C44-8A73-18E7254C047B.jpg
And this is the basic idea minus the tab that slides along the magtube.
20DFF564-2A33-4C4D-907C-10AD1E1D823C.png
This really is an easy upgrade to a stubborn, hard pressing bolt button.
Edited by tyler79durdan

• 3 months later...

My wife wants to start skeet shooting with me. I only load 12ga so I’d like to avoid getting another gauge. She’s small, so I need a 12ga gas operated auto (to minimize recoil) no more than 7 lbs and the CZ 712 utility looks like it might be a good starting point. Since the recoil spring is not in the butt, it should be easier for me to reduce the length of pull to around 12-1/4” including a thick butt pad.

To further reduce recoil, it needs to be able to be modified to cycle my light 3/4oz 1300fps and 7/8oz 1200fps reloads. It would never see a load heavier than 1-1/8oz 1200fps (3 dram eq). Do any of you have experience getting the 712 to cycle such light loads by using lighter recoil springs and/or enlarging the gas ports?

If my wife finds that she really likes skeet and is shooting with me in 3 or 4 years, then I will consider upgrading to something more expensive. But her past is strewn with expensive things she “had to have” but ended up quickly losing interest in.

Would either the Weatherby SA-08 12ga Youth Model or the TriStar Viper G2 12ga Youth Model be a better platform for her than the CZ 712 Utility?

Which of these has the best reputation and can it be modified to handle ultra-light loads (even if that means sacrificing the ability to handle loads heavier than 1-1/8 oz 3 dram)?

My wife wants to start skeet shooting with me. I only load 12ga so I’d like to avoid getting another gauge. She’s small, so I need a 12ga gas operated auto (to minimize recoil) no more than 7 lbs and the CZ 712 utility looks like it might be a good starting point. Since the recoil spring is not in the butt, it should be easier for me to reduce the length of pull to around 12-1/4” including a thick butt pad.

To further reduce recoil, it needs to be able to be modified to cycle my light 3/4oz 1300fps and 7/8oz 1200fps reloads. It would never see a load heavier than 1-1/8oz 1200fps (3 dram eq). Do any of you have experience getting the 712 to cycle such light loads by using lighter recoil springs and/or enlarging the gas ports?

If my wife finds that she really likes skeet and is shooting with me in 3 or 4 years, then I will consider upgrading to something more expensive. But her past is strewn with expensive things she “had to have” but ended up quickly losing interest in.

Would either the Weatherby SA-08 12ga Youth Model or the TriStar Viper G2 12ga Youth Model be a better platform for her than the CZ 712 Utility?

Which of these has the best reputation and can it be modified to handle ultra-light loads (even if that means sacrificing the ability to handle loads heavier than 1-1/8 oz 3 dram)?

I've been running 1200fps RIO Low Recoil Buckshot and slugs through mine since out of the box.

My girlfriend had never shot a shotgun before and she handled it fine with normal loads and low recoil loads (preferred those of course).

Really have found this to be a great place to research the mods I have done to my CZ 712. Really was impressed with how much easier it is to reload weak-hand load2 with the port opened up. I don't understand the need for the bigger button on the side for the bolt release, as I just put the shell on the lifter and push down, the gun loads the round, and I'm in business. The Nordic extension, the tube de-burring, the follower de-burring and polishing, have all made this little shotgun fun to shoot! Otherwise looking to put on sights, and this thing will be GTG. Great fun to run plateracks already with this thing and I'm making about twenty stakes with clay-holding tongs and a head on one side and pointed on the other about 45" long so we can get these thing out and practice practice practice without lugging tons of steel in the Subaru! LOL

So if I want to shoot the lower recoil stuff that it currently won't quite cycle, I can open up the gas ports? What is the recommended size again? Trying to wade through this before I go to the shop, thought I'd take time and ask, so that I could just do it when I got there.

Thanks, JZ