Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did try out the 8" spring and it will cycle the win. and fed. bulk now. Also ran some 1145 fps winchester and it worked great only shot 25 rounds but no problems so far. Both the 11" and 8" springs were black. Thanks.

I put another 125 rounds on the gun today, so 375 total on the bolt handle. No issues. Unfortunately the same can't be said for the action bar. :o

That's strange, my action bar is all black, must be another part the changed in the 2013 model.

CZ changed several things, not sure where the lighter spring idea came from??? BUT either way it looks like they have been paying attention. I know I got some replacement parts to help a buddy out and the piston, recoil rod, and spring were all a bit different...... the recoil rod was much beefier which was a good move! the piston was a touch different but I didn't have any calipers to measure and the spring was a S Ton lighter than when I was doing mods to them now if they would just come out with a 24" barrel!

805ebr get with the folks at CZ and I'll bet they get you one in the mail, have them send you the new recoil spring as well.

Good to see you guys are keeping the little 712 going! I kinda got busy with life and haven't been shooting much. You guys keep up the work! Later,

Kirk

The recoil spring on my 2013 is black and 8 inches. Sorry no pics. This gun runs great with Federal bulk pack ammo running at 1200 fps. It does NOT like the WInchester bulk pack at 1145.

Hope this helps

I wonder if it is just Winchester bulk that it doesn't like, or any 1145 that it doesn't like? I would be curious to know if something like Remington Gun Club 1145fps would cycle through it. I've not had great success with Winchester bulk, even in pump guns.

CZ changed several things, not sure where the lighter spring idea came from??? BUT either way it looks like they have been paying attention. I know I got some replacement parts to help a buddy out and the piston, recoil rod, and spring were all a bit different...... the recoil rod was much beefier which was a good move! the piston was a touch different but I didn't have any calipers to measure and the spring was a S Ton lighter than when I was doing mods to them now if they would just come out with a 24" barrel!

805ebr get with the folks at CZ and I'll bet they get you one in the mail, have them send you the new recoil spring as well.

Good to see you guys are keeping the little 712 going! I kinda got busy with life and haven't been shooting much. You guys keep up the work! Later,

Kirk

I know where the lighter recoil spring idea came from, as do some of the other early adopters. ;)

I spoke with cz-usa support yesterday and they are sending me out a new re-designed action bar and recoil spring. I am unsure what recoil spring they are sending, but I asked to be able to run the lightest loads possible. Testing to ensue.

Hopefully this will be the end of breakage for this gun. It's great when it works, but confidence is waning as to the viability of this platform standing up to hard use. :(

Thanks 805ebr just wish I'd have gotten a little thanks from them but hey I just wanted to help some fella's out! went in the hole selling them BUT lots of folks got to shoot 3G without spending big bucks so it was worth it in my eyes.

I know any of the Winchester shells I never got any of the 712 or 720 to run them in any reliable fashion. A buddy of mine who is new to 3G has my old 712 and since he got it we have replaced the hammer, piston, op rod, and CZ sent him a new recoil spring and it's running rather well beside the op rod was contacting the forearm inside causing a problem BUT the trusty Dremel tool cured that. Not sure what shotgun I'm going to play with this year but probably not a CZ, not that they are bad shotguns just a bit of a bad taste they left in my mouth with the spring issue. Just remember to oil it up a little more than you think it needs, if you put on too much it'll blow off what it doesn't need :) Later,

Kirk

Edited by ksmirk

I ran 50+ rounds of Remington Gun Club shells through mine last weekend with no issues. I haven't had any issues with Rio's target ammo, either.

:o Sounds promising.

Were the Remington 1145 or 1300?

Were the Rio 1150, 1250, or 1280?

In looking back through this mega thread I couldn't determine which recoil spring you are running. I realize my mileage may vary, but I am planning to order a variety of rounds to test with for when the new parts arrive.

Thanks for the info.

The Remingtons were cheap ones from Bass Pro that my kids gave me for Christmas. :)

Not sure about the Rios. I'll check when I get home.

When I first got mine, I went and got a box of just about every kind of target/skeet/trap I could find at the local Academy, Gander Mtn, and Wally World, plus Federal low recoil buck and Fiocchi low recoil slugs. Lubed the snot out of it with Slipstream lube and it ran everything with no issues.

The one time I've had issues was with a box of Winchesters (white box, not AA) that I'm not sure where it came from, and I was just trying to get rid of it. Even those ran OK after I put more lube on.

I ran 50+ rounds of Remington Gun Club shells through mine last weekend with no issues. I haven't had any issues with Rio's target ammo, either.

:o Sounds promising.

Were the Remington 1145 or 1300?

Were the Rio 1150, 1250, or 1280?

In looking back through this mega thread I couldn't determine which recoil spring you are running. I realize my mileage may vary, but I am planning to order a variety of rounds to test with for when the new parts arrive.

Thanks for the info.

Checked the garage.

Remingtons were 1200. Rios 1150.

The two rounds of Remington SureShot Long Range #6 high brass also worked just fine. I use those for spinners.

Thanks for the info Langenator. I received the replacement parts today and it looks like they sent me the long spring. :blush: I will give a call on Monday to see about getting the 8" spring.

Old parts are on top, new on the bottom.

post-43092-0-64500300-1390015653_thumb.j

The 712 and the 912 have very similur action bars. We've gotten a couple of broken 712 and 912 action bars over the years. I know CZ tries to actually engineer changes when they see an issue, like the new hammers for instance. The most recent broken action bar we saw was a 912 and the new replacement was a two piece design that eliminated the weld by interlocking the bars and the ring in a very simple manner. One of those, "Why didn't they do it that way all along?" sort of moments when I saw it.

It's great to see you guys using these guns in competition, We always tell the new people buying guns from us the reason we know what wrorks is because we beat the crap out of them ourselves in competition. We sell a bunch of farmers in our area the 712 Utility because it does everthing they need right out of the box. Great little gun for a bargin.

I ran a match yesterday and had no (!) issues with the 11" spring cycling low velocity ammo.

~100 rounds of Remington Gun Club Target loads 1145 fps

4 rounds Fiocchi 1oz slug at 1300fps

I've heard multiple mentions of a new hammer design. I will call and see if I can get one *before* my hammer breaks in a match.

No issues with the bolt handle as expected.

We have 2 more bolt handles remaining. Once these 2 are gone they will be gone for good as we will NOT produce another run of these. Thanks to all of those that have purchased one. We have only received positive feedback from users so far.

Edited by hlpressley