Reloading Location

cyburg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My man cave is the 5th bedroom in my house. The remodel is wrapping up, and the old carpet has been replaced by new 18" porcelain tile flooring. Wondering what to paint the walls... thinking about dark earth brown and coyote tan, and painting reduced-size targets around the room for dry practice... but have not decided yet.

I used to load in the garage.

No basements in this part of Florida so the garage is the only option if you don't want the mess right in the house.

And yes, I have a fire extinguisher right next to my bench.

Edited by XD Niner

told it would be a good idea to vacuum up spilled powder

Depends on if you like a vacuum in a lot of peaces !! BOOOOOOM . I have a air vacuum to pick up spilled powder.

My brother started in a closet and his wife must of suck up a primmer and blew the bottom of the vacuum apart.

I bought that reloader from him !! She wasn't a Happy camper !!

Basement for me with a dehumidifier running in the summer.

Brent

Edited by colt

Ok, I liked the photo's that were included. I only saw one that had a fire extinguisher. Does everyone have one in your reloading area?

And yes, I have a fire extinguisher right next to my bench.

As a fire protection engineer I always try to be diligent about fire safety. Fires can get out of control faster than most people can imagine. And when smokeless powder & primers are in close proximity, the danger can multiply.

I believe that having a fire extinguisher "right next to your bench" is NOT the best place to keep an extinguisher.

Keep your fire extinguishers near the door of your reloading room. The NFPA says the proper way to use a fire extinguisher is to "keep your back to an unobstructed exit, and stand at least 6-8 feet from the fire". Most of our reloading areas are not much bigger than 8 feet across, so you should be at the proper distance if you keep your extinguisher near your door. Then while on your way out, if you think that the fire is controllable, you can pick up the fire ext. by the door and attempt to extinguish the fire ... while keeping your path of egress open and available at all times. Never let the fire be between you and your exit path. That includes before the fire starts.

• 1. If you are in the room when a fire starts .... your 1st priority should be getting out quickly. Your life is priceless, and putting a safe distance between you and the fire should be the most important thing. Dont worry about your house. Dont worry about your guns. You and your family are the only priority here. We have insurance for everything else.

• 2. It's never a good idea to go into a room that's on fire in order to retrieve a fire extinguisher. If you are NOT in the room when the fire starts, and feel you can control the fire with a fire ext., having it near the door makes it easier and safer to get to, without putting yourself in harms way. Also consider what if your wife, girl-friend, kids, or other family member is the only one home at the time. You don't want them going into the reloading room while it's on fire.

Also please, please, please ...... do more than just buy a fire ext. and forget about it. You need to have a fire safety plan. And you should rehearse this plan with all members of your family. You should check the pressure gauge on the fire ext. once a month to make sure it's still got adequate pressure to do it's intended job. You should also educate your family on the dangers associated with reloading (fires) and what to do and what NOT to do, should a fire break out when you are not home.

Better that everyone gets out alive than try and be a hero & die trying. :mellow:

And finally there is a ton of resources on the internet now days about fire extinguishers, and fire safety. It only takes a few minutes to read up on this type of information. It could prove invaluable in an emergency.

http://www.usfa.dhs....inguishers.shtm

http://www.ilpi.com/...inguishers.html

http://www.hanford.g...ty/extingrs.htm

I have a detached 2 car that I use as a shop. It has a 1/2 bath and is insulated. It gets hot in the summer, but I reload at night so all is well. I live in the SoCal desert at about sea level. Moisture is not an issue here. (Except this week we had 4 days of rain. This happens once every 10 years.) I have enough room to dryfire too, and can keep my target stands and poppers in there too.

JZ

Hello,

new to the forum. Looks great.

I live in a 40' Toy Hauler with a separate 8'X14' garage. Half of it has my Drag Quad and the other half will be the reloading area. I just got a Dillon Square Deal for my pistol loading, my first progressive press. So far I like it!! I still have the RCBS for rifle loading.

Don

Hello,

new to the forum. Looks great.

I live in a 40' Toy Hauler with a separate 8'X14' garage. Half of it has my Drag Quad and the other half will be the reloading area. I just got a Dillon Square Deal for my pistol loading, my first progressive press. So far I like it!! I still have the RCBS for rifle loading.

Don

Welcome to the fold