Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody ever do this?

I've been toying with the idea of getting either a Kahr P380 or a Ruger LCP even though I'm generally opposed to mouseguns. I've found that when I'm walking around here in the cold, I have a big heavy jacket on, and I want to put my hands in my jacket pockets. If one of said hands was on a mousegun, it might not be a bad setup for those times I don't have the time to get to the big gun. Both of these are .380s and as most folks know, it's very hard to find .380 ammo right now.

I shot a match today and the club has an ammo/powder/shot/etc store. They had a pile of Speer Gold Dot .380 ammo. I asked, and the woman said I could buy as much as I wanted...so I grabbed four boxes. For a gun I don't even own yet.

Clearly, it's a sickness :roflol:

I've done it by mistake (ask me about my collection of .22 magnum ammo) but never on purpose. At least you think you might own that gun, you didn't buy some a caliber for a gun you don't have any interest in. That would be crazy :)

It's a sickness.

I bought a pile of 9mm a few years ago. Still don't have any gun in 9mm. Bought a pile of .30-06 years before I got my M1.

In a related illness, back when I was duck hunting, I was in the habit of buying 12 ga. 3" Steel and HeviShot whenever I found it on sale throughout the year. I find myself still doing this.

I also still fantasize about finding .22 lr at the price I bought it for when I first started shooting. About $.75 for 50.

Chris don't get the Ruger .... get a Keltec. I've had mine now for the better part of 6 years, and I have numerous friends who own Keltecs. I have no idea why people seem to be so fascinated by the Ruger LCP, when clearly the Keltec 380 has been around for years. Perhaps it's that Americans fall in love with whatever is new and "improved" (guns, cars, electronics, etc.) Keltec has a wonderful customer service dept. and I believe has a lifetime warranty on their guns. Ruger .... well, let's just say they get it right after a few recalls. Dont get me wrong .... I've owned as many as 7 Rugers at different times, just that I really like my P3AT and dont see any reason to switch.

On the other hand Kahr is an excellent gun as well. Just alot more expensive.

I went into a local --not so much sporting goods--store that at one time carried ammo,and they wers selling it at 5-or 6 year old prices,,10 mm,I don't have,,30.06 I dont have--25-auto I don't have--38 super I do have,,could not beleive the prices,,some of the boxes were faded where they had sat so long,,oh yea-38/55 winchester $14.00 a box,,oh well,,

Yeah, I've bought ammo that I don't have guns for "yet". I have also been given misc. ammo and powder that I may or may not use too. Of course the 10mm has suddenly evolved into two revolvers that use it :ph34r:. Also, considering the family collection and what firends own, there are few cartridges that we can't find a firearm to shoot them in :roflol:

Try finding calibers like 22 Savage High Power, 32-20 Winchester and 250-3000. They are just a small example of what we play with :cheers:

Edited by Modoc

Chris don't get the Ruger .... get a Keltec. I've had mine now for the better part of 6 years, and I have numerous friends who own Keltecs. I have no idea why people seem to be so fascinated by the Ruger LCP, when clearly the Keltec 380 has been around for years. Perhaps it's that Americans fall in love with whatever is new and "improved" (guns, cars, electronics, etc.) Keltec has a wonderful customer service dept. and I believe has a lifetime warranty on their guns. Ruger .... well, let's just say they get it right after a few recalls. Dont get me wrong .... I've owned as many as 7 Rugers at different times, just that I really like my P3AT and dont see any reason to switch.

I'm actually not a big Ruger fan....not sure why. I just thought the LCP seemed to be made a little nicer than the Keltec and the price is in the same ballpark. I'd prefer the Kahr (have a PM9) but don't feel like spending quite that much on one. Just based on availability right now the Keltec might be the easier choice. R,

I'm actually not a big Ruger fan....not sure why. I just thought the LCP seemed to be made a little nicer than the Keltec and the price is in the same ballpark. I'd prefer the Kahr (have a PM9) but don't feel like spending quite that much on one. Just based on availability right now the Keltec might be the easier choice. R,

Bart, The Kahr 380 has an amazingly light recoil compared to the Kt or LCP.

that said, nothing feels as good in a pocket as a J-frame.

I have done it. It is a sickness. We have a support group down here; Hello my name is ______ and I have a gun problem. Lol. Of course we meet at the shooting range so I'm not sure how much the meetings help.

Edited by Hammar

Bart, The Kahr 380 has an amazingly light recoil compared to the Kt or LCP.

that said, nothing feels as good in a pocket as a J-frame.

Oh great, that is not what I wanted to hear. Are you trying to make me spend an extra $400 :roflol:

Is there a significant advantage with the 380 ACP verses the 32 ACP?

I would think so. Sticking with the same brand (Speer Gold Dot) the 380 weigh 50% more (90 versus 60gr) and is going 30fps faster (990 versus 960). Granted, those are just test numbers, but I doubt they're too far from reality. R,

Everyone I know who's had previous experience with a Kel-Tec P3AT, then handled and fired a Ruger LCP has described the LCP as, "Like a Kel-Tec....only well-made." :roflol:

Duane are you trying to say the Keltec is NOT well-made? Because I have over 1000 rounds thru mine, and it's as accurate as can be, has never missed a beat, not a single feeding or extracting issue to speak of.

I couldn't be happier with it. And I know about 6 friends who own one, and feel the same way.

Rugers are really good guns too .... after the 1st or 2nd recall. :sight:

Yes, I have the sickness! I have too often bought ammo, mags etc prior to getting a new gun.

I have the Kahr P380 and love it. The accuracy out to 15 yards is amazing for a mouse gun. The trigger on the P380 is long, but smooth with a short reset. I use mine during the summer and on bike rides where the bulk becomes an issue. P380 is an excellent gun, highly recommended.

I've been toying with the idea of getting either a Kahr P380 or a Ruger LCP even though I'm generally opposed to mouseguns. I've found that when I'm walking around here in the cold, I have a big heavy jacket on, and I want to put my hands in my jacket pockets. If one of said hands was on a mousegun, it might not be a bad setup for those times I don't have the time to get to the big gun. Both of these are .380s and as most folks know, it's very hard to find .380 ammo right now.

I shot a match today and the club has an ammo/powder/shot/etc store. They had a pile of Speer Gold Dot .380 ammo. I asked, and the woman said I could buy as much as I wanted...so I grabbed four boxes. For a gun I don't even own yet.

Clearly, it's a sickness :roflol:

G-Man,

Now you are FORCED to get some kind of .380 mouse gun.

P.S. A little while back, before .380 ammo was hard to find, I was able to get 1000 .380 reloads. I still have them.

lol i did the same thing. I just wanted to make sure i have some .380 auto to feed the gun before i bought the sig. it would sucks to spend $400 and not have ammo -anyone seen Book of Eli?. I also bought a few boxes of 9mm cause it was "on sale", then it seems like a waste of money if i didn't have a glock to go with it. =) Then it seems such a waste to have a couple guns that i might use in once in a lifetime for self-defense, so i got hooked into club matches =(

Edited by meotai