Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revo in Production Division

jmarlowe

What would be the down side if the BOD were to allow us to shoot our 8 shot revolvers at major power factor in production class? I still think that sounds like a lot of fun. Especially at the club level where a good revo shooter could win from time to time.

Not to start a lengthy discussion on the merits. But Production is scored as minor it is part of the set up. What would be better would just to have the overall finish posted at the match to see where you would come in with your revo against all commers. I have not shot Productin with my Revo but have dabbled in Open a time or two with it. I do well on long shots and short stages against the auto. But my set up is better for that portion of the match. When I shoot anywhere else besides OKC in IPSC I am the lone Revo shooter, but hey it's trigger time. And I have fun anyway because of the friends that I meet at the match. :rolleyes: Later rdd

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are lots of "bastard stepchildren" handgun makes and models that are never going to be competitive in any of the USPSA (or IDPA, or Bianchi, or whatever) divisions. They can't keep creating or modifying divisions to cover everything.

Seriously now, a revolver is not a production gun in the sense that was envisioned when that division was created, and it's certainly not a single-stack 1911. (L-10 shouldn't even exist if you ask me, but that's a whole 'nother discussion for another time and place.) Furthermore, we have a Revolver division with equipment rules that were specifically drafted to reflect the preferences of the vast majority of revolver shooters who were polled on this very forum!

Here's the good news: An 8-shot revolver is a great gun for ICORE and steel matches!

I shot to have fun and try to improve my skills once I start worrying about other peoples business ill take up a different hobby. It would be cool to have an open revo division but its going to take a lot more support than what we have now. Thank god for icore.

I shot revolver in production for one reason only....I didn't have another gun that qualified ...getting started i had a browning hipower and a s&w m13...I shot limited minor lim10 minor and revolver minor then when browning was benched with a bad extractor(hard to find old style extractors at the time) I shot the m13 in production for a couple of months...eventually bumped up to a para p16(which i proceded to shoot as is in open) and a 610. Man can I babble or what...

Usually I'm the only revo shooter at our local matches in the Pittsburgh area.

I'll just shoot the local matches in Revo, regardless of who is shooting what in the other divisions. Then, after the match, I'll run my HFs through a spreadsheet I worked up to calculate how I'd compare to shooters in the other divisions, with emphasis on seeing how many people I beat on the individual stages and for the match.

This is a division by division calculation, rather than an 'overall' calculation. Reason? The overall match calculation is based on highest HF for each stage of the match, which is invariably either an Open or Ltd shooter, depending who's at the match [M, GM shooters generally perform to expectations]. And the mag capacity of those two divisions dominates. With the very high hit factors of those divisions, shooters in the other 4 divisions have their 'overall' points devalued compared to division by division results. And that means an individual who wins a stage in his division doesn't get the same point advantage on others in that division in the overall stage scoring. And THAT influences the match comparison more often than not.

In general, I'll run about 40-50% of top Open, 50-60% of top Ltd, 60-70% of top L10 and SS, and 70-100% of top Pro. Of course, we usually don't yet have any GM shooters in SS or Pro in my area, although there are such characters in the other 3 divisions.

• 3 months later...

why wouldnt your clips have to be behind the hip bone? just b/c of the gun you choose to shoot you can "break" the division rules?

not trying to start anything, just doesnt make much sense to a new guy...

Why would you want to shoot revo in production?
The eight holer works there.

L-10 is better. Production has pretty restrictive rules unless your revo is very stock. A spurless hammer is even illegal.

why wouldnt your clips have to be behind the hip bone? just b/c of the gun you choose to shoot you can "break" the division rules?

not trying to start anything, just doesnt make much sense to a new guy...

Corey this is from the Appendix D-4 on Production

12 Restriction on position of holster

and other equipment Appndix E-3

(revolver speedloaders.moon clips

are exempt)

I have never tried Production with my Revo. But then again the mods I have made on it are very evident from the outside. :cheers: Later rdd

I know a guy here in Houston who shoots his 8-round revo with .38loads in Production and he definitely knows how to compete in that division.

Holster and moonclip holders do not have to be behind the hip.

My opinion, read: OPINION ONLY, is that 8-rounders should be competing against Singlestacks rather than Production guns.

I think a good wheelgunner could kick serious gluteus maximus in SS division.

brings up an interesting point.... we have a big single stack match at the end of the month and i would LOVE to shoot my revolver rather than the auto. with that, though, i am shooting a minor caliber auto so i can have 10 rounds. also 9 is cheaper, lighter to carry all over for 2 days and i could care less about loosing my brass to the RO's.

I know a guy here in Houston who shoots his 8-round revo with .38loads in Production and he definitely knows how to compete in that division.

Holster and moonclip holders do not have to be behind the hip.

My opinion, read: OPINION ONLY, is that 8-rounders should be competing against Singlestacks rather than Production guns.

Bring it :sight::cheers:

I think if your shooting a revo in production you should be allowed to use a revo legal revo in the division. If you beat production guns with 3 less rounds and "theoretically" slower reloads then the production guy needs to work a little harder. I saw a guy shooting IDPA with the wheel and I was in aww. Just absolutely amazes me every time I watch a good wheel gunner! :cheers:

Edited by steel1212

Shot production at the last two Nats with my 627x8, it's a good warm up for the revo division. Since I use a 627x6 for revo, not really a big difference. Some other guy shot his 627x8 in production last year, forgot his name, but he did pretty good against the bottom feeder crowd...

michaels

I started shooting my 627-4, 38 super for production. It's pretty stock but with a nice trigger in it. I hate shooting L10 minor, and production seems to be better since everyone has to shoot minor anyway. Since I will likely shoot the super - 627 at the IRC this year, I figured it would be prudent to shoot all the same ammo for USPSA locally and for ICORE locally and at the IRC.

Yeah, a good revolver guy will beat most of the SS shooters. But then again, most of the good revolver shooters can switch over to a 1911 and beat them even worse.

Shooting a wheelgun in any USPSA division other than Revolver is just a stunt. It can certainly be fun, but it's not a serious competitive effort. If you can't find any serious Revolver Division guys to give you game, come find us. Or let us know, and we'll come to you! :D

Edited by Carmoney