Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P40 Pro

Alfie

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems strange to me that the 40 Pro is still not on the production list. It seems even stranger that no one can explain why. Why can't S&W just comment on the reason behind the delay? A simple response like, "at this point we have only produced about 375, so have not met the required numbers" doesn't seem too much to ask of S&W. My theory is they don't really care about putting in the effort to get it approved, because it just requires some people to buy two M&Ps if they want to shoot Production and Limited using similiar guns. I have the 9 Pro and 40 Pro already, but it would've been nice to have just bought the 40 Pro and load some 40 minor for when I shoot production. Instead, I had to buy two guns, which I'm sure S&W doesn't mind! I put about 15,000rds through the 9 Pro this year, and it is starting to get pretty sloppy. I put a KKM barrel in it, so accuracy has remained pretty good, but parts are definitely extremely worn. My 40 Pro has far fewer rounds through it, it would be nice to start using that for Production,,,but I still can't. Julie Golob, you seem very involved with the sport, how about an answer? Surely there is someone you can talk to for some information, assuming you can find time for a phone call or two. Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

I was at a gunshow a week ago and it seems like there was a XDm 5.25 on every table. Makes a me think they just build the guns to get the numbers to get them on the list without caring if they had a home for them or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Sent an email today to Mr. Amidon and crew along with some S&W reps inquiring as to the status of the 5 inch 40 PRO/L making it onto the approved list.

Mr. Amidon indicated that he talked with many S&W people at shot show but none knew when to expect the paperwork. He said he looked at the gun at shot show 2010 so I think that means the inspection requirement may be met?

Mrs. Golob replied as well...don't be jealous! :)

"A representative from Smith & Wesson will submit the paperwork to John Amidon as soon as the company meets the minimums that USPSA has established."

GOOD NEWS....Sounds like they are working on it and have it in their sights...pun fully intended.

Some more (good) news from a S&W rep in reply to my email:

"Short answer to your request is that Smith & Wesson has not yet met the minimum requirement 2000 units produce and shipped of the M&P40 Pro 5” or 4”.  Based upon the incoming orders and production schedule, I anticipate that we will meet that requirement right around the first of March.  Once we have met the minimum requirement I will have the appropriate forms completed and submitted for approval."

I must say that I am quite impressed with the quick and informational responses I received from both USPSA and S&W representatives. Great customer service and attention to shooters' needs all around!

I appreciate they respond to customers questions. I am pretty stunned at the limited numbers produced given the popularity of the M/P pistols and the .40 caliber in general. I guess they are a much smaller player than Springfield and not as popular as I had thought. Who would have thought it?

Sounds good for the PRO. Will that include the L.

I certainly hope so, though I'm not sure S&W made enough of the 40Ls to meet the production number requirements. I'd really like to know just how many of the "L" pistols were made, it just seems not a lot of people have them. It was just dumb luck that I found mine NIB at a gun store.

It would be nice if NROI would consider the fact that the 40L is, for all intents and purposes, is the same gun as a 5" 40 Pro and just include the L in with the approval of the Pro.

Even if that never happens, I've got a sweet Limited Division gun!

Sounds good for the PRO. Will that include the L.

I certainly hope so, though I'm not sure S&W made enough of the 40Ls to meet the production number requirements. I'd really like to know just how many of the "L" pistols were made, it just seems not a lot of people have them. It was just dumb luck that I found mine NIB at a gun store.

It would be nice if NROI would consider the fact that the 40L is, for all intents and purposes, is the same gun as a 5" 40 Pro and just include the L in with the approval of the Pro.

Even if that never happens, I've got a sweet Limited Division gun!

That is what I hope. Bought the L in .40 so I could upgrade it when I go to Limited. It sucks being on a tight budget, will be worse if I wasted my money.

My belief is that there are going to be VERY few matches where anyone brings up that fact that you are shooting an "unapproved" gun. I ran my .40 Pro in Limited all last year. Nobody ever said a word. Unless you are concerned about winning Nat'ls or something like that, you probably have VERY little to worry about.

I ran a 40 pro in limited all last year also

The 40 pro was approved and legal for limited, limited 10, and open last year so neither of us were breaking any rules.

Now production is a different story we are still waiting for the 40 pro to be approved and legal.

This is just very silly to me the 9L, 9 pro, 40 pro, and 40 L are all basically the same guns with extremely small differences. When one of these were approved they should all be approved.

I said screw it and had a local shop get one for me. It should be in any day. Guess that means 1999 more to go. Doing my part. Going to use it as my gun games gun. Not planning to do much to it because its going to be a combo production/limited gun.

Part of the problem with Smith & Wesson not having the required amount out already is because they have too many handguns in their catalog. Too many handguns to manufacture. I guess in a way that is a good thing, but I wish they would hurry up.

• 1 month later...

I was just wondering the same thing, Ive got mine set up with plenty of .40 minor ready to go. Until then Ill just have to shoot the 9mm and use the .40 for practice until I burn up all that ammo. Once thats gone Im done loading .40 minor until its approved

• 3 weeks later...

On the USPSA website look under the NROI tab for the production gun list.

This is what it currently shows for the M&Ps:

M&P 357 Sig Compact 3" (24.7 oz.), M&P 357Sig 4" (28.7 oz.), M&P 40 4" (27.5 oz.), M&P 40 Compact 3" (24.4 oz.), M&P 45 4" (27.9 oz.), M&P 45 Compact 3" (27.3 oz.), M&P 45 Full Size (28.9 oz.), M&P 9 Compact 3" (24.2 oz.), M&P 9L 5" 9mm (28.2 oz.), M&P 9mm 4" (27.2 oz.), M&P Pro series 5" 9mm (29.2 oz.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is crazy. I've had my .40 Pro for almost 2 years now and converted it to a Limited gun last year, but I'd still love one to shoot in production. I ran Julie G. at Area 1 over the weekend and wanted to ask her about it again, but figured it might be interpreted as RO intimidation...