Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P40 Pro

Alfie

This is crazy. I've had my .40 Pro for almost 2 years now and converted it to a Limited gun last year, but I'd still love one to shoot in production. I ran Julie G. at Area 1 over the weekend and wanted to ask her about it again, but figured it might be interpreted as RO intimidation...

I've been emailing with Julie G for the last 6 months about this issue and she says she understands our frustration but that the Performance Center still hasn't got the production numbers to submit the paperwork. She forwarded this issue on to Smith & Wesson for me again this last week. Hopefully they will get the gun approved soon. It sure seems like they have to be dang close to 2000, or someone miscounted. I sure wish that USPSA would revise the way they approve guns so that this type of thing would not happen.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe they have not made 2K of these guns. And if it is true they have made less than 2K I find it impossible that was an accident they have been just under 2K for over 2 years.

I find it hard to believe they have not made 2K of these guns. And if it is true they have made less than 2K I find it impossible that was an accident they have been just under 2K for over 2 years.

I did mention my own concerns that perhaps S&W was intentionally not submitting the paperwork to keep the M&P Pro 40 out of Production Class and force it into Limited, but Julie G. assured me that there was no sinister plot to keep the gun out of USPSA Production. Where the truth exists, I do not know. I only know that if it is not approved soon, then I will go to my original plan, a G35. If the M&P did not shoot as well as it did, I would have done so already. I also find it hard to believe they have not made 2000 of this model. If not just to ensure that it could be approved for what I thought was the guns original intention, competitive shooting. I am starting to feel like I made a bad choice with the M&P 40 Pro 5", and I do not like that. And if it turns out that we have been lied to all this time, then we need to ensure that S&W pay for dishonoring their loyal fans through negative publicity at the very least. I bought this gun to use in production on Julie's assurance that it would eventually get approved. If it doesn't, then I have been duped into spending over $500 that could have gone to a Glock.

I did mention my own concerns that perhaps S&W was intentionally not submitting the paperwork to keep the M&P Pro 40 out of Production Class and force it into Limited, but Julie G. assured me that there was no sinister plot to keep the gun out of USPSA Production. Where the truth exists, I do not know. I only know that if it is not approved soon, then I will go to my original plan, a G35. If the M&P did not shoot as well as it did, I would have done so already. I also find it hard to believe they have not made 2000 of this model. If not just to ensure that it could be approved for what I thought was the guns original intention, competitive shooting. I am starting to feel like I made a bad choice with the M&P 40 Pro 5", and I do not like that. And if it turns out that we have been lied to all this time, then we need to ensure that S&W pay for dishonoring their loyal fans through negative publicity at the very least. I bought this gun to use in production on Julie's assurance that it would eventually get approved. If it doesn't, then I have been duped into spending over $500 that could have gone to a Glock.

There is no plot to keep the M&P Pro 40 out of Production Class and force it into Limited. How does that benefit S&W or anyone else? The S&W M&Ps are in great demand and it obviously make good business sense for S&W to manufacture what they have large orders for, it just does not happen to be M&P Pro 40s. I also have a M&P Pro 40 and look forward to shooting it in Production.

This has got to be a bad joke. :roflol: I sent S&W an email a year ago when i found out my 40 Pro was not Production approved. The sales division emailed back it was't their job. :devil: Clever solution. I have a 9mm Pro I shoot in production and may add a magwell to shoot in Limited. I haven't decided if it will be the 40 or the 9mm. :surprise: I have ordered the Easy Fit magwell so I can use stock magazines. I just play at USPSA and don't want to pay the money for expensive magazine extensions. :sight: So I don't really have an iron in this fire, but I would like to know why the 40 is not approved for Production. I do not believe they (S&W) have not sold the required amount. <_<

There is no plot to keep the M&P Pro 40 out of Production Class and force it into Limited. How does that benefit S&W or anyone else? The S&W M&Ps are in great demand and it obviously make good business sense for S&W to manufacture what they have large orders for, it just does not happen to be M&P Pro 40s. I also have a M&P Pro 40 and look forward to shooting it in Production.

It benefits Smith because if you want to shoot both you have to buy two pistols or shoot minor limited. That's what I did and do. I likely am not the only one.

It benefits Smith because if you want to shoot both you have to buy two pistols or shoot minor limited. That's what I did and do. I likely am not the only one.

Do we really think a company as big as S&W would create a scheme to keep the M&P Pro 40 out of USPSA Production just to sell a few more pistols to a handful of USPSA shooters that may want to shoot the same pistol in two categories? I think S&W has bigger fish to fry like meeting the increasing law enforcement and military demand for S&W M&P handguns. Don't get me wrong, I also want to shoot my M&P Pro 40 in production, but until that time, I will continue to shoot my M&P Pro 9mm.

I have an order for one directly with S&W. I told them I want it to shoot in a match in September. I was told to call they plan on doing another run in July or August, maybe that will push them over the 2000 mark. The M&P seems to be the hot gun for LE. Remember in a decent size town you will have a lot more LEOs than USPSA has interested in this particular pistol for production division.

They should just submit the paperwork anyway. Is USPSA going to audit them or something? No. Who cares.

i was really looking forward to shooting my 40 pro in production this year. Looks like I'll have to shoot my 40 full size another year. USPSA needs to get it together. This gun is just a variant and should be treated as such.

so they have not made 2k units? I find that hard to believe as i personally know 5 people in my area that have the 5" 40 Pro.

I just shoot mine in the local matches. Its not like they check what you are shooting.

While I thought about doing that when I first got mine I wanted to stay within the rules. However the waiting got to me and its now a Limited/L10 gun.

so they have not made 2k units? I find that hard to believe as i personally know 5 people in my area that have the 5" 40 Pro.

I just shoot mine in the local matches. Its not like they check what you are shooting.

While I thought about doing that when I first got mine I wanted to stay within the rules. However the waiting got to me and its now a Limited/L10 gun.

I think we have been approaching this problem the wrong way. Instead of waiting for S&W to produce enough guns of this particular model, we should encourage USPSA to change the rule so that the guns that are on the production list are based on product families. If the 5" 9mm pro is on the list, which it is, then the 40 automatically qualifies because the only difference between the guns is in caliber. This would eliminate the problem for those of us that have been waiting for years now for this guns to qualify.

I wrote a letter to the president of USPSA asking that there be a rule change so that production numbers for the list are based on product families, instead of SKUs. Everyone should also write to the president of USPSA and perhaps the combined voices of the shooter will make a difference. However, my letter to the president has gone unanswered. My inquiries to S&W have gone unanswered. The only person I have gotten to respond is Julie G, and she has no authority. She is a great shooter, but I doubt she has any influence over the production schedule at S&W, or the drafting of rules at USPSA.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was actually shocked to see that the Pro 40 was still not on the production list yet. I have had mine for over 2 years now with the hope that one day it would make it on the production list. You would think they would be close to 2k units being sold by now.

Slaterock

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually shocked to see that the Pro 40 was still not on the production list yet. I have had mine for over 2 years now with the hope that one day it would make it on the production list. You would think they would be close to 2k units being sold by now.

Slaterock

I emailed S&W once again tonight asking them for clarification on when they will be submitting the paperwork, and if they actually will submit the paperwork. I think those of us that bought this gun instead of an XDM or Glock 35 deserve to know the truth about how many they have produced and when the 2000 mark will be hit. If it goes as it has in the past, they will not bother to reply.

Smith & Wesson Customer Service rep emailed back to confirm that the M&P Pro 40 5" has reached the 2000 unit requirement for USPSA Production Division. Although he had no idea about the approval process. Just an update for all of us that have been waiting.

Smith & Wesson Customer Service rep emailed back to confirm that the M&P Pro 40 5" has reached the 2000 unit requirement for USPSA Production Division. Although he had no idea about the approval process. Just an update for all of us that have been waiting.

:cheers:

I received a response from Julie G. and she was in contact with the performance department manager. It seems the information from Customer Service was not correct. The Pro 40 5" still does not have the numbers. I am emailing the head of the performance center to see if he has an estimate on when they will finish the 2000th Pro 40. Stay tuned.