Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P40 Pro

Alfie

S&W has two M&P40's now in the Pro configuration. The long slide will have to be added to the approved list via sales. Will the 4.25" model need to be added as well or does it fall under the umbrella of the already approved M&P40???

With all the 9 mm versions out there I'm sure it'll take a while to get the 40 on the list.......

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the S&W website there does not appear to be a 40L only a 40 Pro. S&W will have to submit the paperwork to USPSA when the proper amount of sales have been completed.

One would guess the 40 PRO was targeted at the competition market and I would bet S&W would move out pretty quickly to get the 40 PRO approved so S&W could generate more revenue based on the 40 PRO.

The 40 4" has been approved for awhile on USPSA.

What is currently marketed as a "Full Size" has a 4.25" barrel, and is approved for both Production and Limited.

What I read said S&W is making a .40 Pro in both 4" and 5". I'm not sure if by the 4" they mean a Pro version of th 4.25" or if it will indeed be shorter.

Either way, I would think most competition shooters will be buying the 5" gun, but I wouldn't expect it to be legal any time soon. Who knows when they will actually hit the market, but it took about 6 months for the 9Pro to be production legal, and even longer for the 9L (from when they actually started hitting store shelves.) It didn't help that they had two models competing with each other, but I would still expect it to take a few months to even meet the 500 required for limited. Time will tell.

What is currently marketed as a "Full Size" has a 4.25" barrel, and is approved for both Production and Limited.

What I read said S&W is making a .40 Pro in both 4" and 5". I'm not sure if by the 4" they mean a Pro version of th 4.25" or if it will indeed be shorter.

Either way, I would think most competition shooters will be buying the 5" gun, but I wouldn't expect it to be legal any time soon. Who knows when they will actually hit the market, but it took about 6 months for the 9Pro to be production legal, and even longer for the 9L (from when they actually started hitting store shelves.) It didn't help that they had two models competing with each other, but I would still expect it to take a few months to even meet the 500 required for limited. Time will tell.

So my question is: Will the 4.25" Pro also need the necessary sales to be included on the approved list? Or is it already approved since it's vertually identical to the already approved pistol?

I assume that the 5" will take much longer then 6 months for approval. With all the Production shooters already shooting 9mm's I can't imagine that they will run out and buy a 40 to spike the sales. The 40 buyers are probably more focused on Limited or Limited-10 or Open...

I would think that it would have to get the same approvals. The 9L and the 9 pro both had to receive approval before they were legal. But I would bet that it willnot take as long as the 9 pro to get approved since a lot of people will be shooting this in limited as well as production. The sales to all of the guys that want to use the 5" in limited will help speed up the production approval process! :P

Edited by kitestir

I would think that it would have to get the same approvals. The 9L and the 9 pro both had to receive approval before they were legal. But I would bet that it willnot take as long as the 9 pro to get approved since a lot of people will be shooting this in limited as well as production. The sales to all of the guys that want to use the 5" in limited will help speed up the production approval process! :P

Perfect "crossover" gun for Production/Limited for a guy on a budget. Should get 20+1 capacity for Major/Limited, and soft-as-butter-big-hole-performance for Minor/Production.

Add a mag-well and a mag-extension... Done.

Jeff

Yep, that's what I'm thinking as well. The fact that it will appeal to both Production and Limited shooters should speed up the process. Now I just need to find out who will take an order for one! R,

I ran my M&P 9 PRO in Limited Minor for a bit. The whole time I was waiting for the .40 to roll along. Finally decided to get an Tanfoglio Limited .40 and now have all the gear to run that as well. This is just going to give me something else to think about now!!!

Who cares if it's approved for production??!!? It'll be an awesome limited gun!

I don't see it replacing my 9L as my production gun, but I will give it a try in limited.  I already have the short .40 setup for production, but haven't shot it.

Lots of people would care because they'd want to use them for more than one division.

I'm sure some will be used in Limited, but more will almost definitely be used in Production....same way you see a few Glocks in Limited (very few it seems) and tons in Production.

They also have to make 500 before it's legal for Limited. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Lots of people would care because they'd want to use them for more than one division.

I'm sure some will be used in Limited, but more will almost definitely be used in Production....same way you see a few Glocks in Limited (very few it seems) and tons in Production.

I don't usually see too many Glock 35s in production, but perhaps your area is different.

I'm not sure about the numbers, but I do think there is a sizable minority (5-10%) of limited shooters shooting a Glock.

Hopefully this new model adds to the non S_I limited gun market nicely.

I'm just glad there isn't a .40 L and a .40 pro.

Does anyone know how guns officially get approved for Limited? Will NROI make an announcement when it's reached the required sales? It seems like the 500 is more of a gentleman's agreement than a rule that is strictly enforced.

I don't usually see too many Glock 35s in production, but perhaps your area is different.

I'm not sure about the numbers, but I do think there is a sizable minority (5-10%) of limited shooters shooting a Glock.

Hopefully this new model adds to the non S_I limited gun market nicely.

Going back the last five years, between 50 and 60% of the Production shooters were using Glocks at the Nationals. During that same timeframe, between 10 and 22% of the Production shooters were shooting .40.

During that same timeframe Glock #s in Limited ranged from under 2% to about 8%.

The .40 Pro is a nice addition, but it's not going to make much, if any dent, in the numbers of S_I guns in Limited (consistently 75-80%).

The vast majority of folks either think or know that a single action design is better for them in Limited, and that's not likely to change any time soon. R,

I know precisely one G35 minor shooter.

124/147 9mm loads aresufficently soft enough that most of us don't see the point in paying significantly more for .40 bullets... and waiting all day for the slide to cycle. ;)

Oh, I don't think there's enough reason to change, but plenty of folks may want to stick with one gun/cartridge, and for them it makes sense.

Yeah...on the slide cycling time, if you can tell the difference from .06 to .062 you should start winning some championships soon :roflol:

I'm one of the people who is likely to own one or two of the long slide models for all the reasons listed. I shoot a M&P40 in production because I like the .40 minor loads, because the 15 rounds mags are not a problem in NJ but the 9mm full caps are (welcome to NJ). I can be a cheap bastard and the idea of a Production/Limited gun appeals to me, and I can always fall back on my standard one as a backup gun.

Frankly, I've been waiting for this thing for 2 years now.

Jeff's 2010 New Years resolution:

M&P 40-PRO $600

SSS Brass Magwell $80

Taylor Freelance 140mm mag extensions (2) $100

Trigger work $150

Guiderod/Spring $70

Existing belt, holster, pouches for 9-PRO $0

Gun Investment $1000!!!!

40 S&W dies, etc for Square Deal $82

Whipping on guys with $3000 S_I rigs? $Priceless

JeffWard

I like your plan Jeff, but I think I'll need an new holster, my current M&P is narrowed at the bottom so I either need to open it up some (and worry about snagging my front sight) or get a new one.

124/147 9mm loads aresufficently soft enough that most of us don't see the point in paying significantly more for .40 bullets... and waiting all day for the slide to cycle. ;)

Oh, I don't think there's enough reason to change, but plenty of folks may want to stick with one gun/cartridge, and for them it makes sense.

Yeah...on the slide cycling time, if you can tell the difference from .06 to .062 you should start winning some championships soon :roflol:

G-Man,

Just because you cannot tell the difference in slide speed, doesn't mean that MemphisMechanic can't.

Oops, I forgot, you know everything! Sorry!

G-Man,

Just because you cannot tell the difference in slide speed, doesn't mean that MemphisMechanic can't.

Oops, I forgot, you know everything! Sorry!

First off, that is uncalled for. If you think I'm wrong or don't know what I'm talking about, feel free to ignore me....it's that easy.

Second, nobody can tell that level of difference in slide speed. Humans can't read thousandths of a second. Noticing the difference in how fast or slow the gun resets is something entirely different, and when people say the slide is cycling slow, they really should be saying the gun is resetting slower (total time from sight picture to sight picture).

Edit to add: One last thing. If you'd noticed, MM put a winking smiley face at the end of his slide speed comment. I put a LOL smiley in my reply teasing him a little...it's called "humor" dude...lighten up.

Edited by G-ManBart

On a slightly related note I think I can tell the difference in cycle speed between a G35 and a G22, though to be fair in the guns I've shot I have no idea what the springs were like, plus it may be about perceptions in front sight movement more then actual slide movement.

I like your plan Jeff, but I think I'll need an new holster, my current M&P is narrowed at the bottom so I either need to open it up some (and worry about snagging my front sight) or get a new one.

Is the slide-width different than the 9-Pro???