Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CV500 motor

My venerable small tumbler is showing its age, but, not knowing electric motors, I'm wondering if the symptoms are from a basic problem that I might be able to fix.

When I turn it on, the flywheel jerks and stalls, and the motor develops what sounds like an AC buzz. If I turn the tumber on its side and flip the flywheel with a stick, in one to three tries it starts turning like nothing happened, and runs until it shuts off at the specified time on the installed timer.

Is this something like a contact brush that I might be able to replace, or should I just spring for the $80 and shipping to get the new upgraded motor from Dillon?

TIA,

Kevin

My venerable small tumbler is showing its age, but, not knowing electric motors, I'm wondering if the symptoms are from a basic problem that I might be able to fix.

When I turn it on, the flywheel jerks and stalls, and the motor develops what sounds like an AC buzz. If I turn the tumber on its side and flip the flywheel with a stick, in one to three tries it starts turning like nothing happened, and runs until it shuts off at the specified time on the installed timer.

Is this something like a contact brush that I might be able to replace, or should I just spring for the $80 and shipping to get the new upgraded motor from Dillon?

TIA,

Kevin

Electric motors are funny things:)

Sounds like a bearing is flattening along with a high probability that there may be a dead spot in the magnet/brush area as well to me. It may continue to work like that for the next 5 years. it may go up in a cloud of smoke tomorrow.

I would say go for a new motor of a new tumbler personally. Not worth the risk especially if you leave the tumbler unattended.

TIA,

Kevin

Mine had the same problem. I sent it in and had it upgraded, works better than new! And still less expensive than a new unit.

My reading here says that the $80 gets you a new and better motor - the one that is used on the large tumbler, and that Dillon does the work for you. Not too bad a deal.

Tks for the ops, guys. I'll get the unit out after calling Big Blue on Tuesday.

:cheers:

Kevin

Edited by kevin c

My reading here says that the $80 gets you a new and better motor - the one that is used on the large tumbler, and that Dillon does the work for you. Not too bad a deal.

Tks for the ops, guys. I'll get the unit out after calling Big Blue on Tuesday.

:cheers:

Kevin

Or you could spring for the big tumbler --- unless you're sure you'll never need the capacity.....

I hate everything associated with reloading --- so I want as much efficiency as I can get from technology....

In many cases a couple of drops of light oil in the bearings will do the trick. There are no brushes in those motors. Bearings are usually bronze/graphite bushing impregnated with oil, that dries out with time and temperature. Just don't use WD40.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Spoke to Dillon this AM. The price of upgrading the motor has risen to $104.95. That plus one way shipping to Dillon gets me just about to the price of a new CV750, which is the same size bowl with the stronger motor that I'd be upgrading to.

If a home fix doesn't work, I'll probably just get a new tumbler all together.

:D

Before you do that research stainless steel media tumbling using a Thumbers rotary tumbler.

Been hearing lots of rave reviews about it and people saying they will never go back to a vibratory tumbler.

http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/

~Mike

That looks exactly like my first tumbler, circa 1980. They will work forever. But the problem is that they take forever to clean the brass.

be

Hello: I'll take the old tumbler off your hands :devil: I replaced the motor in my Dillon and it cost $40 or so. It took me about 15 minutes to change it. The old motor is still good but needs some new bronze bearings and the housing hole fixed. If you can change a tire you can fix your tumbler or is that if you can use a blender and mix drinks you can fix it :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Hello: I'll take the old tumbler off your hands :devil: I replaced the motor in my Dillon and it cost $40 or so. It took me about 15 minutes to change it. The old motor is still good but needs some new bronze bearings and the housing hole fixed. If you can change a tire you can fix your tumbler or is that if you can use a blender and mix drinks you can fix it :roflol: Thanks, Eric

So, lemme ask you, then, Eric - where'd you get the replacement motor?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 1 month later...

I sent mine in a few years back has ran great ever since, but I paid something like $27.00 including shipping. $80.00 seems kinda high.Tim

Well I spoke to soon, my new improved motor is starting to go bad I guess I'll call big blue in the A.M. and see if I have any recourse.

Tim

• 2 years later...

So, lemme ask you, then, Eric - where'd you get the replacement motor?

Thanks,

Kevin

Eric....can you say where did you get the replacement motor?

The stainless pin - wet method works better than anything else for cleaning. Does add another step to the process as we do it but still use walnut hull to dry the brass and corncob with Nu-finish for the final touch up. Here is a pic of the almost finished product, out of stainless but before drying and polishing.

IMG]http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa376/SteveRA2/2012_0128bullet-seperator0019.jpg[/img]

Edited by Steve RA

When motor went out, I called Dillon and they said the upgrade was $95, then shipping back and forth, I would have the price of the 750, I went to several places around here including Graingers, no luck, lucky I had a spare 500, I guess the other one will be used for parts if needed, still hoping maybe I can find a motor for the dead one, it just wouldn't vibrate like it should, real real slow and then stop and start really slow.

So I see the upgrade has gone up, I guess if this one goes out, I will buy the 750 if I still can't find any motors for this.

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. Hoping Eric will post where he got his, if I remember from a very long post before, he got it at Graingers which no longer carries this motor

• 2 weeks later...

I had my Dillon CV500 motor go bad in 2008. I returned it to Dillon and for $30 including return shipping, they replaced the motor. Two years later the motor went bad again. I think the windings went bad, as when unplugged, the motor spins freely, but when plugged in, the magnetism locks up the motor. I called Dillon again. This time they wanted $105 to repair, which included return shipping. They said they found the original CV500 motors were not up to the task, so they upgraded to the CV750 motor. This required a different mount and base for the CV500, which is part of the reason the repair cost is so high. Dillon has no more of the old CV500 motors, (although I heard they did for a while, and were selling them off as DIY). The original motors were manufactured by A.O. Smith, made to Dillon's specs, as per the Dillon rep, and are not commercially available. I contacted A.O. Smith, and could not get one. So far I have been unable to find a suitable replacement in the aftermarket world. I'm sure there is something out there that could be adapted. I did the math, $105 to repair, plus at least another $20 to ship out, That's almost the cost of a new CV750! In the mean time I purchsed a Lyman 1200 for $42, which works great. I still have the carcass of the CV500, and maybe someday, if I need an additional tumbler I will breakdown, and send it to Dillon for repair. I would like to know where Eric got his replacement motor also.

• 8 months later...

I repaired 2 CV500 tumblers close to a year ago. The problem I found was the armature shaft bearings sit in a silcone cups in both end frames. The cups loosen up and wont hold the amature straight and the armature will rub on the field frame. (I think the motor getting overly hot is the culprit) I removed the cups and used a small zip tie and lined the bearing housing with it. It was a tight fit but it worked. I now set the tumblers on a plastic milk crate with a small cheap fan blowing up at the motor to keep it cool. No problems since then.

• 1 year later...

You ever decide to get rid of it. I'll buy it off you, I'm in need of a bowl. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like a plan. The motor was binding and I used the metal "fan" to jump start it. Once going it worked so that may be the issue.

Thanks!

Edited by XxWoodsHunterxX