Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major Forum Software Upgrade Coming

benos

I just placed the order to upgrade to the latest version of the forum's software.

So don't panic if the "brian's forums" logo disappears, or if the forums look different, until I can hack the old appearance related graphics/colors back in place.

be

Yes thank you Brian. :)

This may be a little off topic, but Brian, how come you aren't forum member #1? And if you're not member #1, who is?

Questions like these keep me up at night. :unsure:

Seiichi

If I'm not mistaken -

There are "test runs" done in the beginning of a new forum, so the "test members" are usually numbers 1-100 ................... or something like that.

Also, this forum has migrated between forum software packages a couple times so things got kind of shaken up a bit with database imports. Kind of funny...we've been on this software for so long I have forgotten what all the other ones were like. ;)

I guess that is kind of a tribute to Brian and the various "people behind the curtain" that have helped pull the levers and twiddle the knobs during these migrations to make them as painless as possible...other than that "day without the Enosverse" we all endured several years ago. <shudder>

This may be a little off topic, but Brian, how come you aren't forum member #1? And if you're not member #1, who is?

Questions like these keep me up at night. :unsure:

Seiichi

As Kevin mentioned that probably happened during software package change. I asked IP about it, and they said there was no good way to fix it - something about - if they changed it to 1, it would mess up my post counts after the change.

FYI - I delayed the upgrade for a day or two, until I've had more time to research the hacks I'll need to do after the upgrade. (Since it's a "version upgrade" the new version's "backend" will be quite different from the old version.)

be

Being playing with a test install of the new software on my server today - the ACP section is quite different than the current version's.

So if I don't get the hacks figured out by tomorrow, it'll be next week before the new software comes here.

be

I'm sure it will be a great format... although the current format is pretty near perfect as is.

One thing about the current format that I love is that it isn't red flagged by the "Web Sense" filters at work. Pretty much every other firearm-related forum or web site is blocked, and somehow (thankfully) BE Forums are A-OK. However you all made that happen, I hope the same goes for the new version. If the day comes that I can't check into BE at work... well let's just say that will be a bad day for me! :blink: ... :wacko:

Thanks Brian, and everyone on the Forum team for the best site on the Internet! :cheers:

just upgraded 2 of my pages to the new version.. I have been with IPB for 5 years now and this is the first version upgrade I havent liked. I know everyone will go to it but I think the acp configuration is crap and the look is horrible.. I have 2 more forums I have paid for the upgrade on but I am going to leave them on the current version for now. I did the last few upgrades my self but now with 10 boards running ipb I figured Id just pay to have it done..lol.. It will be weeks before I get all the hacks and mods done on just those two and some of the hacks I had dont even exist yet for the new version..lol so good luck with the mods!!

guess the new software is here, huh? :) couldnt log on for a couple hours at work today, figured it might be the upgrade. looks pretty different for now. let see how good your hacking skills are Brian, haha. get this thing lookin back to "normal' :cheers:

Ahhhhh, for a while there I thought I was banned or something then I remebered to check the back up page. Looks pretty good, all new and fancy, but I cant find where anything is ?? :roflol:

Edited by P.Pres

Ahhhhh, for a while there I thought I was banned or something then I remebered to check the back up page. Looks pretty good, all new and fancy, but I cant find where anything is ?? :roflol:

I am sure with the hours you spend here that you will have it figured out in about a day or two. I thought you were going into shock there for a minute. :surprise:

We were down for about 4 hours... but they finally got it running.

I had my header area appearance hacks saved from the test install, so I applied them within a few the first few minutes after the board was live.

I attached a screenshot of the default instillation.

Please post any bugs or problems in a new thread. (Soon I'll close this thread.)

be

post-171-126394088716_thumb.jpg