Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading the gun to "+1" at "load and make ready"?

Pro2AInPA

How do you guys handle loading your pistol to a full mag "plus 1" at the load and make ready command? Carry an extra round in your pocket to top off your first mag? Load the gun from one of your backup bags at the back of your belt and then insert your primary mag?

I'm shooting limited with a Glock with Arredondo extensions on two of my mags. My thought was that I could load the chamber from one of my 17 rounders on the back of my belt that are just there as "oh S@!t mags and then insert my fully loaded hi cap under the loaded chamber.

While I'm at it, in the divisions where we are limited to 10 rounds in a magazine, is 10+1 at the start legal?

Barney mag either in my back pocket (Production and Single Stack) or off the back of my belt (Lim/Open).

Yes, the rules say 10 rounds in the magazine after the start signal for Prod/L-10/SS Minor, so you cal load using a mag with 11 rounds. For SS Major you can load with a mag holding 9.

Edit to add: You'll save yourself lots of effort (and typing) by reading this:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=913533

Edited by G-ManBart

While I'm at it, in the divisions where we are limited to 10 rounds in a magazine, is 10+1 at the start legal?

Yes it is --- if it's a loaded gun start.....

Yes, the rules say 10 rounds in the magazine after the start signal for Prod/L-10/SS Minor, so you cal load using a mag with 11 rounds. For SS Major you can load with a mag holding 9.

If you choose to go this route --- be sure to keep track of the +1 mag, and remember to pull the extra round if the stage description specifies an unloaded start....

My mags are all numbered and the only one I load to + 1 is number one, This also gives me a high round count mag, gets way more use than all the others. Not sure if thats good or bad but it has yet to fail.

Boats

If you choose to go this route --- be sure to keep track of the +1 mag, and remember to pull the extra round if the stage description specifies an unloaded start....

I hadn't thought of the last one. I probably violated that at our last club match. Good info.

I caught myself breaking this rule once; been using a Barney mag ever since.

FYI, don't ever go prone with a Barney mag in your front pocket. Think falling on your keys is rough? You ain't seen nothing yet.

Mac

A mag used strictly for charging the gun with the first round.

I use the original mag that came with my gun that never did run very well.

Stored in my back pocket. LAMR..get mag from back pocket, load 1 rnd, return mag to back pocket, load gun with full mag.

Butch

Instead of using a dedicated Barney mag, I use the mag that is the farthest to reach on my belt (4th) as a Barney mag. It ends up with 9 rounds instead of 10, but I can't remember ever getting to it anyway. At the end of the course of fire the ejected round goes on top of the 4th mag and it gets rotated to the front belt pouch.

Instead of using a dedicated Barney mag, I use the mag that is the farthest to reach on my belt (4th) as a Barney mag. It ends up with 9 rounds instead of 10, but I can't remember ever getting to it anyway. At the end of the course of fire the ejected round goes on top of the 4th mag and it gets rotated to the front belt pouch.

I used to do this until there was a stage where i turned and was reloading mags at the same time. Just the way my body was twisted, I grabbed this last mag by mistake and instead of having enough rounds to the stage, i was one short. Not too bad, but the last array happened to be a windmill with two spinning targets. After reloading again, i had to engage both targets again since I did not know which one had one hit on it. I no longer do this. ALL mags on my belt now have full division capacity.

I use a barney with one round only in it (SS). Then when I pull the mag after chambering the first round I am pulling an empty mag. Removes any anxiety over whether or not a round was chambered.

Edited by bofe954

Single stack, Barney Mag in the back pocket. Limited Back Mag on my belt for the chamber, Full Mag from the pocket in the gun. Production-with a loaded gun start I have a mag with 11 rounds in it to initially load the gun. It has a different color basepad on it so it is easy to tell which is which.

When I shoot Limited....I always go to the line with all completely fully loaded mags. My first reload mag is one that I use that will hold 21 tight but not reloadable. So I insert that mag in to charge the gun and then replace it in my first pouch that I will reload from first. I then get my fully loaded mag from behind and seat it tight. That usually gives me 21 or 22 rounds depending on what mag I use to start. After the gun is loaded, I then take my second reload mag and strip one round from the top and place it in my pocket. That ensures me an easy reload. I always like to download my reload mags by one. Nothing worse than sticking a smokin' reload only to watch it fall back to the ground. :surprise: Especially necessary with Glock mags running 20 rounds.

For Production, I come to the line with 5 mags on my belt, all loaded to 10 rounds. I carry one in my front left pocket loaded with 11. At LAMR I grab the one in my pocket and load the gun. I don't like messing around with the mags on my belt, so this is the system that works for me. Now, of course, none of this applies to an unloaded gun start.

After the stage, I always completely unload all mags used in that stage. I don't want to make a mistake when I load mags back up and end up with too many in one on my belt. Not really interested in shooting Open right now.

It may be a monkey see, monkey do sort of thing but 90% of the shooters in the squad I normally RO all use the Barney mag procedure. The Revolver and Open shooter are the exceptions.

I have an older 140mm mag with stock guts and base pad that I use for a Barney mag in Open, it also works great for going prone since it doesn't hang out of the mag well much at all. Start the evening with one round in the Barney mag so that I know for sure the gun is loaded, if there is one round in it going into the gun and no round in it coming out of the gun there is only one place for that round to be. lol After ULSC I put that round, if there is one, back into the Barney mag and go to the next stage. :cheers:

Joe W.

I hadn't thought of the last one. I probably violated that at our last club match. Good info.

Hi. Welcome to open --- with a ten round ironsighted gun. Clearly you're a masochist..... :D :D

Hi. Welcome to open --- with a ten round ironsighted gun. Clearly you're a masochist..... :D :D

On a shoot six reload six stage with no benefit. I kinda do things my own way.... :cheers:

FYI, don't ever go prone with a Barney mag in your front pocket. Think falling on your keys is rough? You ain't seen nothing yet.

It can't be any worse than going prone with moon clip holders on your belt..

In Production I just put 11 in my first mag. In high-cap divisions I either don't bother (if I've planned my reloads not to need the capacity of my starting mag), or take one from either my first or last spare mag. I have room for 5 on my belt so typically have plenty. I would use a Barney mag if STI/SV mags weren't so bulky and expensive.

I always load use a Barney mag no matter what division I'm shooting.

I bet most of us have had the experience of using a mag loaded with 11 etc.. for LAMR, only to find out when the timer goes off that a round was not chambered. No chance of that using a Barney mag, loaded with one.

Edited by baerburtchell

In open, I use the next to last mag on the belt to Barney (ha, I just made Barney a verb!) and the load the rear-most mag (4 pouches).

In limited, I use the next to last mag on the belt to Barney and the load the rear-most mag (4 pouches).

In L-10, I use the next to last mag on the belt to Barney and the load the rear-most mag (6 pouches).

In production, I use the next to last mag on the belt to Barney and the load the rear-most mag (6 pouches).

In single stack, I Barney from a 7 round mag in my pocket and load from the rear-most mag (6 pouches).

Other than the slight variation in single stack, I do the same thing every time. I learned the hard way that it is a good thing to do the same thing every time. Having 11 in one mag, or downloading another will bite you sooner or later. Ritual at Make Ready is a good thing for the aging mind. ;)

Later,

Chuck

I bet most of us have had the experience of using a mag loaded with 11 etc.. for LAMR, only to find out when the timer goes off that a round was not chambered. No chance of that using a Barney mag, loaded with one.

To add insult to injury, isn't that technically a trip to open?

To add insult to injury, isn't that technically a trip to open?

Yup!