Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Think I'm busted

Nemo

Last week I had to leave my desk to attend a meeting, then from that meeting went to lunch. When got back to my workstation I had left the browser opened in what other than the forum. The forum website was opened for easily an uninterrupted 3 hours. It seems big brother caught on and yesterday I couldn't acces the forum in the office. If this is the case I'll be seeing a lot less of this place and will be going through some serious withdrawal for a long time.

:angry2:SUCKS! :angry2:

Yeah, we just got treated to the "Ethics and Compliance Chat" last week. I don't log on much at work. Now, I'll not log on at all from there.

I don't want them to think I'm a dangerous Gun Nut prone to workplace violence. :roflol:

Yeah, we just got treated to the "Ethics and Compliance Chat" last week. I don't log on much at work. Now, I'll not log on at all from there.

I don't want them to think I'm a dangerous Gun Nut prone to workplace violence. :roflol:

So you started working for the post office? :roflol: :roflol:

Just use a proxy... :) Look at the address in the image....

You can find many proxy sites here:

Careful there --- circumventing blocks put in place by IT is an offense punishable by instant termination at many workplaces.....

As Nik said, use at your own risk... man I love working for myself!

JT

Just for general knowledge, most content filters just log the date/time of the last "Get Request". A three hour gap of you sitting on a site not clicking away doesn't show up as "three hours of time on BE" really so I doubt your leaving the site up was what got it blocked. Now someone might have walked by your desk and seen it up and said something about it which got it blocked. Filter logs are not the easiest things to interpret because you need to have a basic understanding of how browsers and the web work to really be able to weed out "excessive" use and get a clear picture of what that person was doing. I have an agreement with my HR that I'll provide them the browsing history of any user they want to look at but they have to come to my office and we go over it together so I can help them decipher it.

...and another fyi from someone on the other side of the fence, even if using a proxy to bypass IT filters doesn't get you immediately fired, it will absolutely tick off the IT staff who will then be all over your actions for the next month or so. You're better off finding a friendly IT guy and asking if an exception can be made in your case.

Our company uses Websense that blocks any site that has anything to do with weapons. You can ask for an exception but it has to be reviewed by the executive committee. Not worth it. Bypassing the IT guys is a bad thing! They do hold a grudge. It is immediate termination for us. I understand why. I am not about to risk my job in this economy for something that I can wait a few hours for. Our society has become so focused on instant gratification that we don't want to wait for anything anymore.