Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Cv-500 Repair

The motor on my 10 year old Dillon CV-500 case cleaner has burned out. I talked to Dillon and they do not stock replacement motors and recomend just buying a new one. Does anyone have any experience with replacing the motors on these?

Thanks,

Louis

You need to call Dillon back and talk to someone else. I have had two of the CV500's crap out on me in the last eight years and they fixed them both in the usual Dillon tradition with no BS and no charge.

Og

I imagine the motor is probably not a precision-spec part. If it's anything like my Midway tumbler, it's a 110V motor with a weight bolted to one side of the output shaft and and a fan blade stuck on. Anything that fits the same bolt pattern and has a similar RPM oughta work. Well.. actually, if it's underpowered it might overheat and set something on fire and that would be bad.

Also check if it really burned out. If it didn't make a bad smell, it may be something fixable like a broken wire between the motor windings and the power attachment-- I've seen one that did that, and a quick soldering job fixed it right up.

When my old CV-500 crapped out a couple years ago, Dillon offered to sell me a new one at half price because the tumbler and motor I had was no longer produced and the motor for the current design would not fit the bowl on my old tumbler. It sounds like you have the same problem. I took the opportunity to upgrade to the LARGE tumbler with the half price offer.

I tried to fix the old motor but it was more trouble than what it was worth.

To Og

BTW, Dillon only warrants electrical/electronic products for one year. This went into effect a couple of years ago.

As of July 1,1999, all electrical/electronic components and items sold by Dillon have a one year warranty. If your tumbler is older than that, then it is still under warranty. Call for a return authorization and send it in. Once that motor is replaced, the new motor will have a one year warranty.

Called back to Dillon and was initally told the same thing. After I told him that older ones should be warranted he went to check with the supervisor. After that it was exactly as the poseter dillon said. I've got the RMA # and the replacement one will be warranted for a year. Any failure after that and they sell the motors for $27.

A big thanks for all the help on this.

Louis

• 7 years later...

How old is your tumbler? If it is outof warranty, I'd highly recommend sending it in and getting it retrofitted with the newer style motor. Since the new motors, I haven't heard of a single failure.

be

My motor went out on my CV 500, called Dillon up, told me what the price would be, upgraded to the newer motor, with shipping to them and the upgrade, it was cheaper to buy another tumbler. I have a local Graingers and went there to maybe get another motor, no luck, went to different places with still no luck. I had a spare CV 500 in a box, dug it out and using it now, hopefully it will last as long as the first one, which by the way lasted 5 years.

Oh by the way, when I told the guy from Dillon it would be cheaper to buy another tumbler, he agreed, since I would have shipping to them and the upgrade was going to cost me $98

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. I still have the old tumbler, still looking for a motor, LOL

I believe the motor they will sell you is for CV 750, I believe that is totally different than the CV 500, when you send in a CV 500 to get repaired, they put in the base of the CV 750 with that motor, a complete change over so to speak, and they quote you the price of $98, that is why I chose not to do it. It wasn't worth it to me with shipping there and there price to repair.

Now the CV 500 motor if I could find one is around $30 here in this neck of the woods if I could find one, which I can't, hope this explains this to you Steve RA

All for now JD Trampas

If they sell the motors for $27.00 (as posted above) why not just buy the motor and put it in yourself ??

The post that listed the $27.00 motor was from 2003. Now I think your looking at close to $100.00 with shipping, Dillon wants to do the installation.

I bought a Franklin Arsenal on sale for about 1/3 of that and it works just about as well. The Dillon looks nicer and feels more solid I am holding onto it hoping a reasonably priced motor turns up someday.

Get the new tumbler: the motor is better.

I got the replacement motor from Dillon when my small tumbler gave up the ghost after something like 15 or 16 years. It was a patch together job to retrofit it to the old mount, and it died too. I have the new version now and am quite happy with it.

Get the new tumbler: the motor is better.

Yes. The new motors are a million times better than its predecessor. The much older "predecessors" were much better - but there are not any of those available anywhere, as far as I know. The new motors rock. I haven't a single call or warranty on the new motors.

Dillon's integrity and service is legendary, however, I think the firm may be missing something in their interpretation of contract law. I doubt the oversight is intentional, however, I suggest that it is something that should be looked at and corrected.

When a vendor offers a warranty as a basis to induce a purchase, the vendor is offering consideration (warranty) for a benefit (money paid to the vendor). The vendor enters into the contract by offering such a benefit, and accepting consideration from the buyer in exchange for it. In other words, the warranty is part of the purchase, and creates an obligation on the vendor.

The vendor does not automatically get the right to change the terms of said warranty no matter how "reasonable" the vendor may feel such changes are, or how inconvenient it turns out to honor the warranty in the long run.

When a product is repaired under warranty, the customer (absent a specific provision to the contrary) is entitled to the product that has been repaired or, at the vendor's option, replaced - the customer does not sacrifice their existing warranty, and may not be required to accept a change in warranty terms as a pre-condition for obtaining service under the original warranty. The statement that "the lifetime warranty on pre-1999 tumblers will be honored, but the replacement will come with a one year warranty" is functionally equivalent to a car manufacturer fixing a transmission that failed at 15K miles on a car with a 60K warranty and telling the customer that the replacement transmission comes with a 10K warranty that will carry him through 25K. Simply put, servicing a "lifetime warranty" by replacing the product and declaring the "lifetime" nature of the warranty null and void is an attempt at unilateral abrogation of the terms of a contract of adhesion offered by the vendor and accepted by the buyer.

• 2 weeks later...

As of July 1,1999, all electrical/electronic components and items sold by Dillon have a one year warranty. If your tumbler is older than that, then it is still under warranty. Call for a return authorization and send it in. Once that motor is replaced, the new motor will have a one year warranty.

This was not the experience I had about a year ago. My tumbler is the large tumbler model which I purchased in the mid-80's. When it quit working (after 25 years) I was not offered an RMA for repair, I was offered a replacement at half price. While half price is a good deal on a new tumbler, with return packing and shipping it would almost cost the same as a new one. Twenty five years is great service for a product and I'm not complaining about that. I complaining about the change in warranty I was offered on the original purchase.

I was also told that Dillon would not honor the "lifetime warranty" on my RL-1050 purchased in the mid-80's although the original owners manual clearly states lifetime warranty, no exceptions noted. When my casefeeder quit working I was told "we will send you a new switch but if that doesn't fix the problem you will have to buy a new casefeeder". Luckily for me, the switch was the issue. I certainly do not consider it fair that Dillon can change the terrms of their warranty at will. I realize the 1050 was designed like a tank so it could be used in a commerical setup but mine has not been used that way..

I still own Dillon products and will continue to use them because they are good products but I cannot jump on the "NO BS Warranty" is great bandwagon without a large asterisk which stands for SOMETIMES. As my components break/wear out I will now take a very hard look at competitor products. I would not have made that statement 5 years ago.