Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to Phoenix?

So let's say a feller likes to shoot and his company needS him to move to Phoenix, and this same feller posted in a shooting forum where lots of folks from that area also post, where might this said individual look for a place to live in the ~300k range? Let's also say that he will be working around the Camelback/24th street area.

Thanks guys.

M

So let's say a feller likes to shoot and his company needS him to move to Phoenix, and this same feller posted in a shooting forum where lots of folks from that area also post, where might this said individual look for a place to live in the ~300k range? Let's also say that he will be working around the Camelback/24th street area.

Thanks guys.

M

id say move to East Mesa, close to Rio Salado .....spend 200k on the house and 100k in guns and ammo :goof:

Edited by ogiebb

Most properties in the valley are low due to market. for 300k you should get a really nice place. You stand a good chance of shooting more if you live in the east valley, unless you dont mind driving alot. Welcome to shooting heaven where you can shoot 20+ matches a month year round

We moved here two years ago. Decided to rent while we waited for the market to hit bottom. We just renewed our lease for another year. Phoenix real estate is dropping harder than any place other than perhaps Las Vegas. Homes that we walked through 9 months ago up in NE Scottsdale that were 415K are now 325K. Every couple of months we go through this spasm of "Its so much cheaper than it was 6 months ago, we better buy". Every time we wait and the costs keep dropping down. Just something to consider......

Not considering where your job is, I would find someplace in the east valley. Scottsdale, aka Snotsdale to Mesaites like ogiebb is an amazing place to live. We are right up against the McDowell Mountains with trailheads for hikes/mountainbiking 5 min from my front door, great food, ice rink, dog parks, and I am 40 min from both Rio and Ben Avery. Oh, and Scottsdale Gun Club is 10 min from me.

Yeah, its a tough life but someone's gotta live it. :rolleyes:

Yeah Mike, I'm going to jump on the East Valley bandwagon. I live in Gilbert (in the East Valley) so I am biased. I am 20 minutes from Rio and about 30 minutes from Phoenix Rod & Gun Club. We have more than just lots of shooting in the East Valley though. Lots of great places to eat, hiking close by, great shopping, and the housing market is down so housing is affordable. Good luck!

Edited by jasmap

• 2 weeks later...

I have lived/worked in Phoenix 5 times in the last 25 years. I can not wait to get back. I am an East Valley boy. I usually live in Tempe because I like the feel of a University town. I must say this last weekend I was in Tempe and downtown looked as bad as I have ever seen it. Which means home prices have dropped.

My choice is East Mesa. The homes are reasonably priced. Mesa was founded by Mormons. Hence, the schools are quite good. Which is important for home resales. You are not far from Rio Salado. There are good shopping centers nearby so you do not have to go to Scottsdale. And most of my friends live near Rio.

The downside is the commute to the Biltmore area. That would be a pain. The area around 34 - 54th and Camelback is pretty cool.

Snottsdale is great. You can get a pretty good home for a good price there. The travel time is a bit more to Rio but the community is pretty cool.

I have to use my passport to travel to the westside of Phoenix so I have not gone there very much. Definitely the West to East commute in the moring is a pain in the eyes.

Hello: We were in Tempe over Thanksgiving for a soccer tournament. Very cool city but far too much traffic for me. It seems like so many cities that are growing too fast. Everyone was in a hurry and not many had smiles on their faces. Could be that it was the holidays and people were visiting there inlaws :cheers: The big thing for me would be the summer heat and little to no rain. I did enjoy the mountain area-sorry don't know the name. I think where you want to live is what you make of it in the end. Thanks, Eric

Try Debbie Keehart she is a real estate broker in Mesa.

debbie.keehart@azmoves.com

+1 for Debbie and if you don't know her she is a great USPSA shooter and she is sponsored by Para and used to shoot for Glock.

Try Debbie Keehart she is a real estate broker in Mesa.

debbie.keehart@azmoves.com

+1 for Debbie and if you don't know her she is a great USPSA shooter and she is sponsored by Para and used to shoot for Glock.

Thanks guys. Maybe wishful thinking, but you never know..

Mike

Yay! I might switch to irons now for local matches.

:)

As good as OK is for shooting here lately, The nod still has to go to AZ.

One more thing to think about; is there a migratory flyway around, or will you be stuck shooting peccaries in the winters? lol!

After 13 years of drought, not much water anymore for ducks, Was great in the late 80's but the development and drought has realy hurt the hunting here. We just go to TX for turkeys and geese. I live in the North valley so my trips to Rio Salado are limited since its about 60 miles from me in miserable freeway traffic. On the other hand Ben Avery is only 10 minutes away and the Scottsdale Gun Club is about 30 minutes . I agree with the others there looks to be another 10% downside in housing prices. Rent a place and wait for the dust to finally settle!

Edited by azeric

After 13 years of drought, not much water anymore for ducks, Was great in the late 80's but the development and drought has realy hurt the hunting here. We just go to TX for turkeys and geese. I live in the North valley so my trips to Rio are limited its about 60 miles for me in miserable freeway, but no other way to get tere. I agree with the others looks to be another 10% downside in housing prices.

Rent a place and wait for the dust to finally settle!