Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What weight/brand bullet does your 9 Pro/9L like?

G-ManBart

My pro did not hate MG's. As a matter of fact it loves 147 cmj's. 124 cmj's were just not very accurate for me.

I haven't tried any 147s in my M&P because when I tried them in my Glocks, it seemed like I was waiting forever for the slide to cycle.

I suppose that if all I shot was production division, I could get used to it, but, if that was the case, I wouldn't have changed from Glock, to M&P. The M&Ps are easier for ME to transition to, from open, limited, or single stack. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
My pro did not hate MG's. As a matter of fact it loves 147 cmj's. 124 cmj's were just not very accurate for me.

Kevin,

I know you mentioned OAL issues with the 147gr Precision Deltas, but I couldn't find the thread, and I couldn't remember if it was the FMJ or FMJ-TC. I loaded some of the FMJ-TC out to 1.125" OAL and they didn't touch the rifling in my Pro. Montana Gold 147gr CMJs at 1.125" didn't have any issues wither.

Right now the MG's are doing better in the accuracy department. I'm loading both MG and PD 147s over 3.85gr of Solo 1000 and the MGs chrono'd at 908fps (haven't had a chance to chrono the PD's yet). The PD's are almost a thousandth larger in diameter than the MGs...at slightly over .3555 or so (using a mic on them isn't easy). The MG's aren't even quite .355, but they're going into 2" or less at 25yds with consistency.

I have to add a little flare to the case mouth from the first batch because I got some of the PD's that didn't look like they seated properly and I may have had a touch too much crimp. My Redding Competition Seating die and Hornady taper crimp die showed up yesterday so I have them set up to load more and the dummy rounds look much, much better. I don't think I've gotten a group (out of the half dozen I shot) with the PDs that was under maybe 3.5"....which isn't good enough for me when my first attempt with the MGs was half that (best group was under 1.5"). Still, I want to give the PD's a fair chance and will see what I can come up with.

I still have Zero 147gr FMJs and 135gr FMJs on the way and look forward to trying them as well. More to follow....

Edited by G-ManBart

• 7 months later...

I use BBI 130s, 147's and Montanna Gold 147 CMJ's they all work very well for me.

I had one customer that had no luck with the Zero 147s, never tried them myself so I cannot say for certain whether the problem was the load or the bullet.

My open M&P seems to love the MG 115 HPs loaded up to a 175-180pf.

I have also shot a crap load of the ultramax 124 lead load, and every M&P I shot that junk out of shot amazing groups.

Dan:

Can I ask what your 147 CMJ load looks like from a ballpark PF and OAL aspect? Struggling with 124's and have 100 147 CMJ's to try and a starting point would help. Factory barrel.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been pushing the PD 147 FMJ-TC's with Silhouette and I really started liking the heavy bullets, but today I had a pleasant surprise with 124's.

Bulk Win 124 FMJ RN's with W231 shot fantastic in my PRO.

Got 5 shot groups rested at 25 yds under 1.5" POI was way off from my 147 load but I have been looking for a reason to get Dawson Sights.

Right now my best accuracy results in order are:

Win 124 FMJ with 231

PD 147 FMJTC with Silhouette

Sierra 130 FMJ (discontinued) with Silhouette

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried Precision Delta 124's and 147's. My Pro was more accurate with the 124's at 25 yds but the recoil impulse with the 147's was much softer. I tried the Precision moly bullets and these were the most accurate of any bullet I tried but I didn't like the residue it left in the barrel. I decided to try Montana Gold 124's since that's what I shoot in my Open gun and the Pro shot those ok but I think I've found my bullet in the MG 147 FMJ. Soft shooting, accurate enough, and between MG and Manny I can always find them in stock.

All of these were loaded over Universal Clays, by the way.

DW

• 4 months later...

Interesting how each gun can be so ammo picky. I've recently finished testing several bullet/powder combo's in my PRO. I did do some groups at 25 yards, but I did it all standing unsupported and the groups suffered. Next testing will be benched at 25. I was really disapointed in the 147 XTP's and I was about to give up on the PRO due to accuracy issues, but after this testing, I'm glad I kept it. The 124 XTP and 147 Missouri Bullet Co. are my new favorites with the 147 PD a close third.

147 MBC lead with SOLO 1000 or WSF (SOLO was under 1" at 15 yards unsupported)

124 XTP with TG or WSF (grouped 1" at 15 yards standing unsupported with both)

147 PD with WSF was right at 1" at 15 yards

Dislikes:

147 XTP with TG were just so-so 2.5"-3" at 15 yards

125 MBC RN grouped well but left more lead

115 WWB 3"-4" at 15 yards

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I'm using the same load with the MG's as with the PD's. It went 141 pf out of a Glock 17.

If you seated them so you got the same OAL, they take up different amounts of case volume. It was enough difference for the PDs to be 20-30fps slower than MG 147s out of my Pro. R,