Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dropped Gun

PaulW

Sorry guys I'm sure I could dig this one up but I need help on this one.

Had a shooter today that I gave the unload and show clear, then slide, hammer, holster commands, after this they went to holster their unloaded gun, missed the holster and it fell to the ground. I handled it like a gun that fell out during a walkthrough as I picked gun up, cleared it and gave back to shooter who then holstered, done deal. Since I had not given the range clear command I am a little unsure if I did the right thing? Was this a DQ'able offense or did I handle it correctly?

It is a DQ. I would not give you a hard time in public or at the range etc. And I am not judging you here and now. But there is a problem with doing it the way you did it and that is they did not learn a hard necessary lesson for when it happens next time.

Obviously I am asking because I was unsure on how to handle the situation. Further discussion with the range master brought up more questions. I am trying to learn and if I did make a mistake I want to learn so I am better prepaired next time. I would have had no problems DQ'ing someone if thats what the rules stated. My biggest fault is being in the sport for over 10 years and never taking the RO course. Thats to be fixed soon.

As for clearing a dropped gun and the RO placing the gun in their holster I had never heard or seen this before????

Obviously I am asking because I was unsure on how to handle the situation. Further discussion with the range master brought up more questions. I am trying to learn and if I did make a mistake I want to learn so I am better prepaired next time. I would have had no problems DQ'ing someone if thats what the rules stated. My biggest fault is being in the sport for over 10 years and never taking the RO course. Thats to be fixed soon.

As for clearing a dropped gun and the RO placing the gun in their holster I had never heard or seen this before????

10.5.14 covers outside of the COF and includes the placing the gun in the shooters holster, bag or gun rug language.....

10.5.3 covers your situation today....

8.3.1 “Make Ready” – This command signifies the start of “the Course of

Fire”.

8.3.8 “Range Is Clear” – This declaration signifies the end of the Course of

fire.

Dropped gun anytime between these two commands is during the course of fire and a DQ under:

10.5.3 If at any time during the course of fire, or while loading, reloading or

unloading, a competitor drops his handgun or causes it to fall, loaded

or not.

Dropped gun outside the course of fire:

10.5.14 Retrieving a dropped handgun. Dropped handguns must always be

retrieved by a Range Officer who will, after checking and/or clearing

the handgun, place it directly into the competitor’s gun case, gun bag

or holster. Dropping an unloaded handgun or causing it to fall outside

of a course of fire is not an infraction, however, a competitor who

retrieves a dropped handgun will receive a match disqualification.

I took the RO course this summer in only my first year in the sport. I thought sure it was too early but man, I learned an awful lot. It was an excellent way to learn the rules.

My biggest fault is being in the sport for over 10 years and never taking the RO course. Thats to be fixed soon.

Go for you. I expect you'll find it to be a very positive experience.

Really????? :ph34r:

Yes, really.

It wouldn't hurt you to join him.

:P

The guy who got me into shooting USPSA was a real SOB but he got me enrolled into an RO course within the first 6 months of my starting to shoot. His excuse was that, to cheat effectively, you needed to know the rules better than the next guy. A screwed up rationale to be sure, but he was right about the benefits of knowing the rules. In my 20 years of shooing I have encountered several RO's that made incorrect calls against me and my squadmates that I was able to correct before they were applied against us. Without a working knowledge of the rules you have to accept the other guy's interpretation, and that may not be correct or to your benefit.

My biggest fault is being in the sport for over 10 years and never taking the RO course. Thats to be fixed soon.

Yes, really.

:roflol:

Yes, really.

He is too busy "Thinking...." about it.

Yup, DQ, but one that I really don't think any more necessary than a dropped one out of the COF. The gun has been cleared the hammer down. There's not anymore chance of it going bang than one getting knocked out of the holster. Saw the screws come loose on a guy dropped it and the holtser in the dirt and he was sent home. I do not agree with it, but will enforce until it's changed... if ever.

JT

Edited by JThompson

While the DQ is crystal clear, we need to understand why it still bothers some folks: the gun was unloaded & had just been verified as so. Thus, what happened could be seen as no more "dangerous" than a dropped gun outside the COF. One is a DQ while the other is not a DQ.

Nevertheless, the lines for our rules have to be draw someplace, and I think they are well-placed right where they are in this area. Besides, the incident did invlove "gun handling" - which we require to be done safely.

The most often "dropped gun" scenario I have seen outside the COF involved race holsters that were improperly locked & there were no hands near the gun when it fell.

Good Q. OP. Regards, C.

While the DQ is crystal clear, we need to understand why it still bothers some folks: the gun was unloaded & had just been verified as so. Thus, what happened could be seen as no more "dangerous" than a dropped gun outside the COF. One is a DQ while the other is not a DQ.

Nevertheless, the lines for our rules have to be draw someplace, and I think they are well-placed right where they are in this area. Besides, the incident did invlove "gun handling" - which we require to be done safely.

The most often "dropped gun" scenario I have seen outside the COF involved race holsters that were improperly locked & there were no hands near the gun when it fell.

Good Q. OP. Regards, C.

Actually, I believe this falls under unsafe gunhandling. The pistol was in the shooters direct control when it missed the holster and was dropped to the ground. Under the accidental dislodging of a weapon outside of the COF, say, i'm running to chase someone with a video camera and my pistol hops up and out as I scramble (one reason I always have one hand on my gun as I jog through a cof when I'm looking it over). This wasn't a handled weapon, it was an accident. The only time you can handle the weapon is after "make ready" until you are told "range is clear". If you drop a directly controlled weapon - it's a DQ - loaded or not.