Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

accurate 9mm bullets?

Ohioguy

I have been shooting 124 gr Winchester FMJ's and Remington 124gr JHP's for matches. I have tried 115gr plated FMJs, 115 gr HPs as well. Accuracy is fine for what I am doing, but it isn't something to write home about.

Generally speaking, semi wadcutters are accurate bullets. Anything in 9mm thats similar? I am going to place a bullet order soon, and would like to try some out. I am shooting a stock Glock 17. Lead bullet suggestions are fine.

I have been shooting 124 gr Winchester FMJ's and Remington 124gr JHP's for matches. I have tried 115gr plated FMJs, 115 gr HPs as well. Accuracy is fine for what I am doing, but it isn't something to write home about.

Generally speaking, semi wadcutters are accurate bullets. Anything in 9mm thats similar? I am going to place a bullet order soon, and would like to try some out. I am shooting a stock Glock 17. Lead bullet suggestions are fine.

I've been using MG 115 gr JHP (7 cents each) and they

have been very accurate out of my TruBor.

Hey Ohio,

My advice is to not do like I did and buy a huge order of bullets until you know what shoots best in your gun. I ordered a case of MG 124 CMJ's and 12 lbs of Titegroup to get started. The accuracy was horrible in my M&P so I bought much smaller quantities of different bullets and powders until I found a good load. I have, for the time being, settled on Precision 147 moly bullets and solo1000. My gun shot much tighter groups with various 147's than any other bullet weight. Your gun will prefer a certain load. So do some testing and then do a big order. As a matter of fact your G17 will probably prefer a different load than another G17. It seems odd but it is true.

When I was working up loads I bought 500 to 1000 bullets at a time because it does take quite a few to find the right combination.

Good luck and have fun looking for that elusive perfect load.

+1 to sandman's comments. Try a few before making a big order.

I shoot a lot of BBI 130 molly bullets in a CZ SP-01 and standard M&P. The are very good but, plated or jacketed will edge them out just a little on accuracy.

I have settled on Titegroup for plated or jacketed and WSF for lead or moly. Lots of other choices though and I have some Solo 1000 that I'm going to try later this year.

Both guns really like 147 grain bullets of any style for some reason.

I doubt that you will find lead bullets end up at the top of your list.

Depends on your twist rate on your barrel.

125gr Zero .356 bullet shoots like a laser beam from minor to major in 9mm and Super in most any gun.

in most guns, especially the 1/32 twist barrels the 115 jhp XTP is the cats meow at 50yds, and the Sierra 115jhp is there as well if you can find them in bulk.

Take a Quality JHP, not a plated bullet, load it as long as you can with your magazine and still feed reliably, and load it with a medium speed powder like W231, VV 320, VV330, Power pistol, Titegroup, WST......and you will be very happy with the load.

Half the fun is finding the load your gun likes!

Good luck,

DougC

North, that is by design. In the JHP, most of the weight of the bullet is in the rear, and is the last to be stabilzed when it leaves the bore. The 115gr jhps are best stabilized at 1150-1180 fps and have the best accuracy at 50yds.

I have jhp loads that will shoot into one hole at 35yds....when I put a fmj of the same weight on the load it opens up the group by inches.....usually 2-3 inches at the same distance!

See ya,

DougC

The Montana Gold 121 IFP is very accurate.

+1 Off a rest they group very well out of my Super with about 30,000 rounds down the pipe. Five rounds in a group the size of a quarter is pretty good in my book, now that I know my gun will do it I need to work on getting it to group that well when I am shooting a match. lol

Joe W.

North, that is by design. In the JHP, most of the weight of the bullet is in the rear, and is the last to be stabilzed when it leaves the bore. The 115gr jhps are best stabilized at 1150-1180 fps and have the best accuracy at 50yds.

I have jhp loads that will shoot into one hole at 35yds....when I put a fmj of the same weight on the load it opens up the group by inches.....usually 2-3 inches at the same distance!

See ya,

DougC

I have shot six shot 1-3/4" groups out of my Bianchi Cup gun prone at 50 yards before with Zero 115 JHP's in 38 super.

Another very accurate bullet to throw out there is the Hornady Action Pistol line.

Most of the time we're putting a .355 bullet through a .355 bore, which really isn't the best combo. Many/most .355 bullets are actually .3555 which helps, but some testing has shown going to .356 makes a big difference. R,

Ohioguy,

I shoot 147 precisions in my G-17 and my girlfriend and her daughter use them in their G-34's. We're using Solo -1000 @ 3.3gr for the G-34's and 3.3 of N320 for the G-17. All give a PF of about 132 and accuracy is certainly good enough for the IDPA shooting we do.

BTW, I'm in Medina, too. PM me if you want to connect.

I've tried MG 124's and Zero 125's, both JHP's.

In my G34 and XD9 the .356 Zero 125 JHPs are more accurate.

I've tried MG 147's and Zero 147's, both RNFP's.

In my XD9 the .356 MG 147 RNFP are more accurate.

Goes to prove that you have to test what works in YOUR gun. Just because my XD9 happens to prefer MG over Zero doesn't mean yours will. Got some Precision Delta 147's and Precision moly 147's sitting on the shelf to try out. Just have to work up the loads and see what happens. Once I figure out which one of these four will first function in the gun and second is the most accurate THEN I will place a bulk order.

I have a new M&P9 Pro and want to get into reloading only for 9 MM about 900 rounds a month. Anyone have advice on best value reloader, bullets, powder, cases, and powder load?

Thank you!!!

Every one of these ideas are all subjective....

Best value reloader? My thought on it is a Dillon Square Deal B.

Best powder? I'm using solo 1000. There are MANY suggested powders, a search on the subject would help you out here.

Bullets? Read this and many other threads on the subject. Mine happens to be the black bullet international 130gr at the moment.

Cases? Do you want new or used? I have no problem with buying used casings as long as they are serviceable.

Powder load? That depends on the bullet/powder combination. Check this 9mm reloading area for all of the information you would ever want.

Good luck.