Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup or N320.... Have it narrowed down to these two, but would ap

pigman08

I've read the thread/poll for favorite powder for .40 major, and have seen the pros and cons for both TG and N320: They appear to be the two favorites. But, price not being a factor, which of the two would would you pick for all-around usage? Thanks in advance for any input.... BTW, I'll be using a G-23 and G-35, and using Zero 180 gr JHP's, w/ Wolf primers.

Ditto. I have used VV and Titegroup. VV Hands down. But with the current prices, I use Clays. VV is a very clean burning powder. I found TG to be dirtier. I think Clays is pretty clean, and is really soft shooting.

MarkK.

I will agree with the above posts and add this.

I shoot N320 right now but with as difficult as it is to find right now I have worked up a titegroup and solo1000 load in case I can't find any. N320 is a very predictable powder that shoots within 7 FPS AVG shot to shot for me. The variance with Titegroup is a bit larger at about 10 to 12FPS.

Also, titegroup is definitely heat sensitive, so on a hot day it *will* burn faster and give you more FPS and everything else that goes with that.

VV N320 Wins. TiteGroup gets very strong at lower temps my 170pf at 90 turned into 189 at 45. It burns very hot so use CMF or JHP's as it burns the lead out of the back of the fmj. I only use TiteGroup with 200gr CMF Zeros 4.2gr at 1.185 OAL very soft albiet a bit sluggish.

VV N320 Wins. TiteGroup gets very strong at lower temps my 170pf at 90 turned into 189 at 45. It burns very hot so use CMF or JHP's as it burns the lead out of the back of the fmj. I only use TiteGroup with 200gr CMF Zeros 4.2gr at 1.185 OAL very soft albiet a bit sluggish.

I was under the impression TG was temp sensitive NOT reverse temp sensitive. It goes down not up with colder temps?

Solo1000 is reverse temp sensitive as my PF was 3-4 points higher in colder weather.

I must be the odd man out here. In match chronos ranging from low 90 degrees and muggy to high 50s/low 60s, I've always found Titegroup very consistent, chronoing to within 3 or so PF points for my 9mm Glock.

That said, VV is a cleaner powder, just more expensive and harder to get sometimes. That's why I use Titegroup.

Curtis

Yeah, but Clays won't work for the OP because he's shooting a Glock & can't load any longer than 1.160" or so (too short for major Clays IMHO).

Solo will work for a Glock though. AND its sigle base like V V. Its the economical alternative to N320.

Ditto. I have used VV and Titegroup. VV Hands down. But with the current prices, I use Clays. VV is a very clean burning powder. I found TG to be dirtier. I think Clays is pretty clean, and is really soft shooting.

MarkK.

I ran dry on VV N320 early this year and wound up working up a TG load. It was EXTREMELY hot and dirtier than I like. The gun didn't care, but I did.

I found 320 at Powder Valley, bought 12# and have survived the rest of the year happy.

I have 8# of Titegroup just sitting in storage. Bought it to preserve my supply of N320, but I'm still using the Viht, for the same reasons mentioned above. (I have a bit of Solo 1000 to play with, but have postponed load development pending a better primer supply...)

Thanks for all of the input guys... I've already changed my order from Powder Valley to 8 lbs of N320 from the 8 lbs of TG that I had already ordered. Any additional input is welcomed

Since PV is showing N320 out of stock are you just back ordering it? R,

This has nothing to do with choice of powder for USPSA but...

I like N320 but here is something interesting I never knew about it - it smokes more than I realized. I'm taking a pistol class this weekend and we did some night shooting tonight. Last year, I shot a 9mm loaded with Titegroup and it was pretty good. This year, I'm shooting my .40 with N320 and the smoke is definitely a factor I don't like dealing with at night.

Affirmative on the backorder from Powder Valley. I've got the primers and JHP's coming from there as well. It's going to be a while before it all comes in, but I'm in no hurry. It's looking like late Oct for the powder and late Nov for the primers.... and that's assuming that I'm on a short list for both. I didn't even ask about the JHP's when I changed my order today. It's actually kinda funny that they had the N320 in stock when I placed my order for the Titegroup on 10/7. Par for the course on my decision making results. :wacko:.... FYI, the B.O. f/ the primers was at 3 mil when I changed my order today. w/ numbers like that, I'd better be patient!!

Most of my comparrisons are with 38SPl, 38Super (NRA AP) and 9mm.

N320 is cleaner in the gun less power residue when you shoot a lot. But the residue is harder to remove. TG leaves black residue that is much more obvious, but it is easier to remove.

There is next to no differenc between either powder as far as temp sensitivity is concerned. They are both very stable. We can reload ammo here in New Zealand in May (starting to get cold 45ish) and use that self same ammo in MO in May, (Hot 90+ and Humid) and the velocity is so close that we just don't care. Loading the same powders but different batches from what we have at home, in MO we can use our load data from NZ and we can't shoot good enough to be sure it's the ammo when we don't do what we should be.

320 will smoke more than TG, but in low light TG can flash (it is ball powder after all)

The strange thing is in the 38Super we use the same powder weight with either powder and we will be up or down no more than 15fps from batch to batch. I would not suggest that you just swap over but for minor pf loads in AP we are safe.

But what ever powder you decide on, don't give up on the other as one day you will run out. I keep plenty of both on hand. Just on case.

N320...Of course you can't get it right now...

i know this thread is about N320 vs. Tg, but you could always use N310. that's available from multiple sources now...

It sure is, in fact I just bought 8 pounds from Powder Valley :cheers:

It is usable in major .40, with due caution, but I would be hesitant to try it at the short OAL a Glock requires.

Titegroup is a nitrocelluose powder, and burns very hot. It smokes like a locomotive with lead bullets. It has a felt recoil signature really close to VV320. It is really close to the old WSL <winchester superlite> and it is easy to make up accurate ammo with it.

If you shoot steel, after a couple of mutliple strings your gun will burn you if you touch it. It gets really hot really quick.

Solo 1000 is a good alternative to it, but 320 is da' bomb!

DougC