Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dropped gun

markcic

On my second stage of the Area 4 match I took 2 steps after the buzzer and dropped my gun. It was, start with strong hand on a pole, on signal enter area Aand shoot. I had a plan on how to shoot the stage but didn't have a plan for how to get from the start to area A. Normally with a standing start I draw then start moving. If I plan on moving before I draw I'll lock my holster. I was first on the stage and as I setup all I thought about was how what do when I got to the box and started shooting. I didn't think about what to to do before I got in the box. At the buzzer I took off running and made it 2 steps before my gun bounced out of the holster and the RO stopped me. While I was using a Ghost and it easy to get the gun out of the holster with the lock off, it is the same for any race holster. If I thought about the whole stage instead of just thinking get in the box it would be an issue and I'd still be shooting.

Stage diagram:

stage5.jpg

That is tough. I just got my first Open gun and a used Ghost holster and I worry about dropping it all the time. Thanks for sharing.

George

The key with the ghost is the lock the holster before running. etc.

Hey Mark,

I was in your squad today (Eric). When you have to move a significant distance before entering a shooting area....draw the gun, or at least get a hand on it. Its always better to have it in your hands and have control of it. I've shot out of plenty of race holsters and as secure as some of them are....I still only trusted them as far as I could throw them.

Hey Mark,

I was in your squad today (Eric). When you have to move a significant distance before entering a shooting area....draw the gun, or at least get a hand on it. Its always better to have it in your hands and have control of it. I've shot out of plenty of race holsters and as secure as some of them are....I still only trusted them as far as I could throw them.

+1

Yeah, the conditions today were sorry at best and you were probably thinking about your footing as much as anything. I started with my gun locked on several stages. I would hate to see what that mud would have done to my Benny gun.

Sorry to hear about your DQ. Been there, done that. DQed on my first stage at the DTC this year :wacko:

why do people run then draw?

where do you save time?

beep run stop then draw then shoot

beep draw and run then slow down ,gun up shoot as soon as you get to see a target

bad luck

sounds like you took it well and learnt from it (this is what make people better shooters everyone makes mistakes , some just dont learn from it)

Just curious:

If you drop your weapon during a stage, do you get DQed from the stage...or for the whole match?

In Christ: Raymond

As the old saying goes, from the whole shootin'match.

"beep run stop then draw then shoot

beep draw and run then slow down ,gun up shoot as soon as you get to see a target"

Not sure thats what happens for me....

If I was to Draw first, then move to the first position it would be:

BEEP While standing near still and not moving much DRAW, then move forward at "dismounted gun speed", enter position as mounting gun engage first target

For Drawing after move:

BEEP EXPLODE from the start position towards position 1, at "running with out a gun in my hand speed", drop strong hand to gun as I approach position 1, smoothly draw and mount gun as entering position, fire on first target.

Second way, I'm faster out of the gate, faster to the first position, and not slower entering the position, as I am drawing while I'm doing it. Its just more efficient.

Of course the key to all that is a holster that retains your gun. Blade-tech for me, and I don't feel I'm losing any time, in a match. Shooting Open..... get to love your lock...... and be able to disengage it on the run.

Edited by sfinney

Sorry for your experience, I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation.

I've seen many more things happen from folks trying to "be faster" and not getting control of the pistol first and then starting the stage that are bad than good. At most it should take .5-.75 seconds to grab your gun from the holster if you have to move somewhere and it will most likely take that much time or more to grab it while moving fast, and there is a MUCH greater chance for something to go south while doing so.

Rough year Mark. 1st you had some guns stolen, your Mercedes broken into, and the DQ. Hopefully that's the worst of it.

I just read what I wrote and it looks bleak. I didn't mean it bad......just venting for my bro Mark.

Edited by jasmap

That sucks Mark. You are a class act so I am sure you handled it well. Just jump back in the saddle and use it as a learning experience.

Mark did handle it well. He was one of the cooler DQs I have ever had to handle. I hate to see that any time it happens, but he stuck around to help the squad for at least the rest of Stage 5 and Stage 6 next door, and likely some others. As the guy standing behind him with a timer, there is a bit of pucker factor to go along with any dropped gun, but a bit of relief when you realize it is a Glock.

Like another poster said, with a Ghost especially, you learn to use the lock any time you move.

• 3 months later...

I used to use a Ghost, now i just use a Blade tech DOH.

On awkward stages I would; 1. lock the holster (tab down) 2. get my hand on the gun as soon as possible. 3.don't run with the gun holstered, have it in your hand. you are going use it anyway.

Stages that require sitting starts are problematic, the outward pressure of your leg can push the gun out of a ghost or other race holsters. this nearly happened to me at nats a couple of years ago.

I had a similar experience at a club match here in Indiana. We had to move from box A about 25 feet to box B to grab our magazine and then proceed 15 feet to box C to shoot. I left my unloaded gun locked in my CR speed and took off sprinting....

When I got to box B, I saw "something shiny" ahead of me! It was my STI that had flown out of my CR speed and landed on a wooden spool in front of me :(

After that experience, I learned:

1) Never, ever run with your gun in a race-type holster

2) If you want more retention (i.e. for 3 gun) use a Blade Tech or similar

3) Get your hand on your gun immediately (i.e. draw then run) so that you can't lose it

Hopefully this post helps other people from having to learn the hard way.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw one of better shooters on the run, tripped over a spike on a barricade, he hit the ground with his elbows and knees pretty hard, never let the gun hit the ground and never left his hand either. he was waiting on a DQ but looked up and the ro said keep shooting....

After the stage, the ro told him his gun never touched the ground it was just a fall...

Also, the shooter always had the gun pointed down range....

I've started a thread on this in the rule forum. This has been an ongoing problem for over 20 years in our sport to my knowledge. Competitors should be forced to lock their race holsters. A Ghost will NOT drop a pistol if locked. Taking even one step with an unlocked Ghost and a loaded gun is unsafe.

As I said in the other thread- that is part of the decision process and the learning process of using a race holster. Which is more importnat, speed or security on the stage? I always lock mine if there is any movement prior to the first target- especially from a sitting start. Too bad about the DQ, but you have learned something from the process- so all is not lost.

I saw one of better shooters on the run, tripped over a spike on a barricade, he hit the ground with his elbows and knees pretty hard, never let the gun hit the ground and never left his hand either. he was waiting on a DQ but looked up and the ro said keep shooting....

After the stage, the ro told him his gun never touched the ground it was just a fall...

Also, the shooter always had the gun pointed down range....

While a little aside from the original topic, some comments on this:

- Having a gun touch the ground (or prop) while fully under control of the shooter is not grounds for a DQ. The rules only cover a dropped or fallen gun - this terminology indicates a loss of control, and the exemptions applied support this implication.

- As is often repeated, unless there is an obvious safety violation occuring, do not stop unless the RO says STOP. Don't look to the RO for guidance during a COF.

I speak about this from personal experience: A few months back at an indoor match, I faceplanted during a COF. Slipped on a discarded mag immediately after a reload, and went down hard. Primary concern was keeping the gun safe and downrange, which I did. Got right back up and shot the last several targets (I was advancing to the final port on the stage when I fell). BTW, the mag - a Wilson 47D - still works fine, but the side that was against the floor is all scratched to hell now. My gun did hit the floor, but just barely - the only evidence is a very small nick on the edge of the S&A magwell.

And of course, nobody brought a camera that day. :lol:

ETA - Oh yeah, and I don't run beyond a few steps with my Limited gun in the holster. And even in those cases, my strong hand is on the gun.

Edited by Walküre